Server about to die! (edit: We're back online.)

Check here for the latest news, problems & ideas

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

korexus

Server about to die! (edit: We're back online.)

Post by korexus » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:26 pm

Just got this message from our webhost.

The server that your account resides on will be going down for an unspecified amount of time due to a fan failure on the CPU.

We will update you ASAP.

Hopefully, some of you will read this before it happens and I won't get deluged with emails telling me the site is broken...

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:38 pm

Ha, this has got to be Yondallus's fault. :lol:

He decided to knobble the server to secure the extension to the games in case the GM's said no. Its got to be it. :wink:

Email me anyone who wishes to remain in touch in the event this is a permanent failure (and an attempt to run of with Chris's money)
Now WHY did it do THAT!

If at first you don't succeed - give up and have a coffee!

Yes I am on the transplant list for a new sense of humour!

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:47 pm

But, but, but... :stunned:

WHAT AM I TO DO IN THE MEAN TIME!

You can't just shut down...i will be forced to start doing work. :bigcry:

I'm already getting redrawal symptoms. :anxious:
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:50 pm

Cant they be more specific than an 'undisclosed amount of time???' I think I have the same as Saladin but I am having panic attacks!!!!!!!!!
Now WHY did it do THAT!

Dragonette
Commander
Commander

Post by Dragonette » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:46 pm

And what am i supposed to do when i've finished my school work and i can go on what i want? :huh: :aeh: :bigcry:

Dragonette

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:05 pm

Vortan: Good point, GMs should set extensions sooner rather than later, as the site might go down with the current deadline set, the turn would most likely then run as soon as it comes back...

Saladin: random thought here, but you could RUN YOUR TURN!!! That's all external to the WoK site, so no excuses there.

Vortan again: They will let me know as soon as they know more, unfortunately, the server will probably be down at that point and I won't be able to tell you.

Dragonette: You're obviously not being set enough work...

I'll be on messenger for as much as possible of this difficult time, in case anyone needs to talk to me! :P

Chris.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:21 pm

The subject you chose is just scary, korexus!

I'm not experiencing what Sal and Vortan described, but 'die' sounds so... permanent. :P
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:22 pm

Did the site go down and is now back up or has it not gone down yet?
Question everything.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:24 pm

It wasn't that bad.

In case anyone hasn't noticed the shutdown occured and we're back online.

I'll allow myself to edit the Subject to prevent potential heart-attacks. :P
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:12 pm

korexus wrote: Saladin: random thought here, but you could RUN YOUR TURN!!! That's all external to the WoK site, so no excuses there.
Well all the wok 5 stuff are also external to my work place so no luck. Besides i'm still waiting on your orders.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:12 pm

:D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh joy! Oh rapture! OH Bliss! Oh ... Okay ... overplaying the relief a little I know but that was a little too close for comfort.

WELCOME BACK WOK ... WE MISSED YOU!
Now WHY did it do THAT!

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:47 pm

Saladin wrote: Well all the wok 5 stuff are also external to my work place so no luck. Besides i'm still waiting on your orders.
I sent my orders 2 days ago.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:17 pm

I getting a bit too full of myself and don't know when to stop. One day soon my account might get suspended, but I guess I'll deserve that...

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:22 pm

You want to play, Sal? Just remember who's got more admin rights on this server! :twisted:

Chris.

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:31 pm

Now Now children PLAY NICELY or you'll have to stay in at play time for a whole week :P
Now WHY did it do THAT!

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:23 am

korexus wrote:You want to play, Sal? Just remember who's got more admin rights on this server! :twisted:

Chris.
Well...actually i've got the same admin rights as you. :D I just don't use them all the time when doing diplomacy as you do. :P

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:37 am

*impatiently waiting for you two to stop bickering.*

If it was just the fan that needed to be replaced, it should have been able to be replaced in about 10 minutes, and that was taking into account that the server would take about 8 minutes to bring back up after it was shutdown. Glad everything went over well, and I missed it comletely while asleep!

Sal,

Work? bah! What kind of excuse is work? :whip:
:D
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:25 am

This minor panic (no problem, I never even noticed the gap, I think it was very short .... they seriously should give everyone a sense of "for an hour" or so, rather than cause heart-palpitations amongst game-addicts, no?!).

Anyway, it makes it the perfect time for me to revive a suggestion I made ages ago to Kor (sorry, Kor, I want some second opinions, sorry if it offends you; you're still Da Boss). But it might or might not mean the difference between OK and disaster, right?

When I contributed a healthy amount to WoK funds a few months back (after Hryll did), I tentatively suggested something to Kor (mind you, he does get dozens of suggestions so it might not have stood out).

I said spend £20-30 of it on a memory stick and store the CURRENT whole engine and status quo on that stick, as insurance. So that if the host ever fell apart or went bankrupt, all their back-up files gone, we would at least, with a new host, be avble to get back to the point where we stored the current state of the engine and the site, ready to upload to another host, rather than back to zero. Kor quite rightly answered that he was alive to the risk and had everything backed up on his laptop.

Hmm, I said, it's only a small risk, but what if our current server goes bust (no back-up from them), AND your laptop got nicked a week before, and before you get a new laptop and get round to backing it up on it? Kor thought we were safe enough, and wasn't keen on having a third place to have to "constantly" update the back-up files to. I worry about the disaster-scenario ... site goes bust, laptop gets nicked some time before or after, before it gets used to re-instate (Kor would buy another and upload the engine to it immediately, without a week or three of risk of losing both?)

Maybe it'll never happen, maybe I'm paranoid about worst-case scenario, or maybe I'm just being sensible. Kor was reluctant that he'd have the extra chore of constantly updating the store on the memory-stick; my view was far simpler: just load to the memory-stick once a year or so, so that the WORST that could happen is that we jump back to the situation we have now; no need to constantly update; just an insurance fallback; throw the stick up on a shelf until ever needed if ever.

We dropped it; but I'm still a bit worried, and wonder whether anyone else thinks we should spend £20-£30 and a bit of Kor's time to do it, just in case? Sorry, Kor, but you thought it a waste of time; I don't; I wondered what others thought. sorry.

Peace to all,
Han
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:43 am

And what if the memory stick gets nicked as well. I think we should rent some server space at the pentagon just to be sure. :D

I think that one backup should be enough. After all our isp will most likely have (daily) backups of their own.

More importantly though, what if something unfortunate were to happen to poor old Korexus? Do we then have (active) people with access to all the files?

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:49 am

Sal, having a bad day again? You're always gonna come in with an offensive negative or an absurd reductio ad absurdum. No, I meant sensible views from anyone?

Han :roll:
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to