The Barnes Family Holiday

Check here for the latest news, problems & ideas

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

Yondallus
Trooper
Trooper

The Barnes Family Holiday

Post by Yondallus » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:34 pm

I tried to use the 'mail the GM' part of the site, but that didn't work. So I'll post it here, and pm the GMs and hope that they read his.

Hello all of you GMs.

I'm sending you this mail to ask for an extention of the deadline next week. The Barnes family is going on holiday for a week, so I took it upon myself to ask for an extention for all 3 Barnes's: Tigress, Jen and myself, Yondallus. This is to avoid that you all get 3 different mails. We will all be gone from Sunday until Saturday. We will all do our orders for every game before we leave, but we won't have any internet access throughout the week. So if you could postpone the game until Sunday evening GMT, we would appreciate it. That way, we still have time to contact our allies before the game runs. The games that might need postponing are:

GM Lardy's Fall of the Raj
GM Mike's Back to the roots
GM Matt's Skandinavia
GM Dom's Forest Lake
GM Mike's Duel Game with Tigress in it.
GM Chris's Homelands(if it gets started before that date.)

Thanks in advance.

Danny, Jennifer and Emma Barnes.[/quote]

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:43 pm

I know we are clan mates but this is one HUGE ask Yo. That is every running game bar Risk World and WOK5 Southern Reaches.

Will the same be done for everyones holidays? If so pencil in 19th-26th August. Then all find something else to do.

My selfish view - if you knew you were going away you shouldnt have signed up so close to going.
Now WHY did it do THAT!

If at first you don't succeed - give up and have a coffee!

Yes I am on the transplant list for a new sense of humour!

Yondallus
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Yondallus » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:00 pm

Well. Most of those games are due to run in a day or so. That means we can still put in orders for the next turn before we leave. That turn will run again on tuesday or wednesday, I'm guessing. And then again on possibly Saturday or Sunday. So I'm not even sure the extention is needed in those cases.

I'm not ORDERING the GMs to delay either. It's just a question. If this can't be done, so be it. We'll miss the turn then. This is not a holiday that has been planned weeks in advance either, neither of us knew we were going.

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:04 pm

Obviously, it's a GM's individual decision in each case. I've been on each end of this and, I tend to feel that, the slightly longer deadline is a smaller evil than several players missing the turn...

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:08 pm

I tend to agree with Korexus. I think most GM's will grand a small extension like this. It's a shame if several players should miss a turn.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:13 pm

Come on Vortan, would you rather see them miss turns? It's not like they do it on a regular basis, they need one extension. If you're serious about that week in August then I don't think a lot of people will complain about you getting an extension. So, don't worry and feel free to join games even if you think they won't end before mid-August. :)

I know it's easier for me to say since I've been in the community much longer and I'm probably not as eager at the thought of each new turn as you (even though my playing style very often makes my TRs exciting :) ), but I think it's nice to allow players to extend deadlines from time to time.

As a GM I intend to extend the turn in Back to the roots.

As a player I hope I will not be left without a clanmate in Fall of the Raj and Skandinavia (to fight dummy targets in Fall of the Raj :) )

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:15 pm

Sheesh, take some time to work on your wording and 4 people will post before you. :)

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:16 pm

:shock:

Great.........

:cry:

:Vortan throws teddy out of cot and goes quiet:
Now WHY did it do THAT!

If at first you don't succeed - give up and have a coffee!

Yes I am on the transplant list for a new sense of humour!

Jen
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Jen » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:29 pm

Just a quick thanks to Danny for doing all the work. We will be back!
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:56 pm

trewqh wrote:Sheesh, take some time to work on your wording and 4 people will post before you. :)
Hey, tell me about it. I've had 30 people post while I was composing ....
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:03 pm

You record breaker, you... :lol: :lol: :lol:

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:47 am

Before Standard WoK went online we had the 'institution' of deputy/substitute players who could send in orders for a player that had to leave. The rules said a deputy had to be from the same clan and couldn't be in the same game. Also, a deputy could stand in for a player for 3 turns max.

With the online version it's impossible to access other player's order submission forms but if a GM was willing, orders could be delivered in a text file to the GM who could fill in the form for the missing player with the orders from the deputy.

Obviously, the leaving player would have to inform the GM about a deputy nomination herself/himself and before leaving.

There's this Polish proverb; the wolf is satiated and the sheep is fine. :)

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:06 am

trewqh wrote:With the online version it's impossible to access other player's order submission forms
Actually, this is not entirely true.

I could swap the player IDs in the database to allow a deputy to do orders, it wouldn't be a perfect solution but it would work as long as I didn't need to do it too often...

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:10 am

Good idea, still, a cooperative GM would be a better solution, I think. :)

Immortal
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Immortal » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:53 pm

I think this is unreasnoble. You want to put all but two or three games on hold for a week this is wrong.

I say let them go minus however many.

It may teach the BARNES not to join as many games if they are of on holiday. I say carry on and if they die then thats their own fault.

I also think gm's should not have another thing to worry about and remember.

Sounds a bit unfair on everyone in my mind.

Immortal
-------------
First impressions are everything,
so i refuse to hide in a corner and do nothing,
i'll shout out if i need too,
i'll talk when required,
but even when i'm not wanted i'll still make sure i'm heard.

Tigress
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Tigress » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:58 pm

Maybe you should read the entire conversation before you say anything. You might have read:
This is not a holiday that has been planned weeks in advance either, neither of us knew we were going.
or
Well. Most of those games are due to run in a day or so. That means we can still put in orders for the next turn before we leave. That turn will run again on tuesday or wednesday, I'm guessing. And then again on possibly Saturday or Sunday. So I'm not even sure the extention is needed in those cases.
There is no need to get hostile over a question that has been asked. I didn't know it was a big deal to certain people... I find it shocking...even..

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:52 pm

From A GMs point of view it takes like 5 seconds to do. And that includes opening a beer.
Question everything.

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:35 pm

I will have no problem extending the deadline in my game ... it will likely only add 1 or 2 days.

Enjoy your trip.

-GM Matt
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

Yondallus
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Yondallus » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:08 am

Okay, we're close to leaving, and I haven't heard from GM Dom or GM Lardy. So this is a reminder, should they read this, please give us an extention :)

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:12 am

IMHO, the 3 Barnes are acting very well in a difficult situation. They're so keen that they joined lots of games, and are sticking with them, great. An unplanned holiday comes up - what? they are supposed to turn it down!? They didn't know in advance that they'd be ducking out part way through. Once it cropped up, they've told us all, not just dropped the ball and said sorry afterwards. They seem to be getting current orders in when they must be busy getting ready to depart, not going M-1.

They're minimising the delay only asking for a day for the next turn after they're back. They sound pretty committed to me.

Immortal, sorry mate,but it's not just THEM that suffer if they are refused an extension and go M-1 ... it kinda ruins it for their clanmates playing with them (3 different clans), and kinda spoils everybody's planning, and spoils the game.

And we shouldn't put them off the community. What would YOU do in their place?

I say grant them the extensions and thank them for being as considerate as possible. Games often get delayed. Hey, we could start another, IF we have enough numbers without them :-) Or you could fill in with a Duel ....

Peace to everyone, happy gaming,
Han
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to