Anti-Missile Defence Systems

Check here for the latest news, problems & ideas

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

Should Anti-Missile Defences be available?

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes: 8

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Anti-Missile Defence Systems

Post by Vortan » Wed May 23, 2007 6:33 am

Well this is only a suggestion that as a non-programmer type I don't know if its either possible or practical.

Would it be possible to add Anti-Air Defences to the Worker options?
This would allow preparations to be made to counter the growing trend of reliance on missiles.

Even in WW2 we - the British - tried to shoot down incoming V1 and V2 Bombs.

Considering the awesome destructive capability of WOK Missiles I think it a logical technological step that nations would try to reduce there effects.

Perhaps a small % chance per missile of shooting it down. Basing that % chance on levels of Anti-Air present in a region.

Alternatively allow the quantity of armies present to affect missile successes. This would reflect the potential for these troops having ground to air weapon systems, again as was the case in WW2 and evey conflict since.

Interested to see what you all think.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed May 23, 2007 9:21 am

Missile defence...hmm. Interesting idea. I can definitely understand where the idea is coming from as having your army group get missiled to bits sucks beyond believe. :)

However from my experience i have to say that missiles are not as all powerful as some people think. Personally i don't like missiles and i seldom use them. The reason for this is their unpredictability. As you do not know what they will hit. I've seen people throw 50 missiles at an army group and only kill 3 armies. But i've also seen the reverse.

This unpredictability can be an annoyance some times, but it's an integral part of the game because without it missiles would become to powerful/destructive.

Now the main reason why i wouldn't want to change the current chances of success for missiles is because it's quite hard to get your missiles in place to hit that big army group that's attacking you.

First you have to find out where the armies are by spying provinces.

Then you have to move your missiles in to position and hope that those armies will stay in that province though there's not a lot of chance of that when you're in a battle.

And finally you have to be a bit lucky with what the missiles hit to make a big impact.

From my experience the only time that an big army group gets hit by a large missile barrage is when either the player with the big army group has made a mistake and left his armies in a vulnerable position after his attacks. Or the player with the missiles made some great tactical moves and managed to get his missiles in to a perfect position.

To be honest the second option doesn't happen a lot. I've seen Hannibal and Validon do it a number of times (to great effect). But most of the time it's because a player made a mistake and left his armies vulnerable to a missile attack.

My advise would be, never leave your armies in the last province you've taken. Move them around and out of range of missiles and attack from a totally different side the next round.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed May 23, 2007 9:24 am

Also you could actually say that there is already a form of missile defence, however it doesn't work properly yet. It's having your spies sabotage missiles.

Code: Select all

4. Sabotage missiles. Every spy used will destroy 2 missiles. For a neighboring province, the chance of success is EFF-20%. For non-neighbors, it is ¾ of that number.
Like i said this option is not working properly yet and i doubt it gets used much in standard wok as the cost is rather high when you look at the chance of success and the number of missiles it will take out.

I think to make this spy option more viable we should increase the number of missiles destroyed to 4 instead of 2.

The same goes for the other sabbotage option, sabbotaging defences.

Code: Select all

5. Sabotage defences. Every spy used will destroy .1 Defence. For a neighboring province, the chance of success is EFF-20%. For non-neighbors, it is ¾ of that number.
I would suggest increasing this to 0.3 defence per spy.

This way i think these option would become more viable option (and get more usage).

It will creating a good number of spies more useful as well. As right now you only need 5 spies each round to spy another player 5 times. With the sabotage option it would be useful to keep a nice reserve of spies to sabotage another player's defences or missiles.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed May 23, 2007 1:31 pm

I was going to suggest the spies. - Knock out your opponent's missiles before he even fires 'em! :)

GMs, please note: The chance of success and number of missiles/def destroyed fall within your domain. Change them if you wish. If enough people do so then I will change the defaults.

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hryllantre » Fri May 25, 2007 3:40 pm

This is indeed an interesting idea but I reckon it's already catered for if a greater emphasis or usage was made of existing spy skills...

TBert
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TBert » Fri May 25, 2007 3:46 pm

I rather like the dance that Saladin described, juggling armies and missiles around until one of you makes a mistake and gets smashed. It adds alot more to attacking than just leveling an army and putting in attack orders.
pro libertate eos occubuisse - "they died for liberty"

Clan Head - Valn Ohtar

SGT - US Army

23-year-old father of 3 - really needs a beer