WOK ON Practice Game - ????

Check here for the latest news, problems & ideas

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

Aussie Gaz

WOK ON Practice Game - ????

Post by Aussie Gaz » Fri May 18, 2007 12:42 pm

Guys I jsut got an email about a new turn run on the wokon practice game.

Problem is that I never started (nor looked at) the game.

http://www.kaomaris.com/phpNuke/modules ... R=2#action

The game lists Bean, Calidus, Eagle Eyes and myself and says we all went M1.

Over to the bug hunters.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri May 18, 2007 4:08 pm

I guess someone else could have inserted you as a player when setting up the practice game.

But I didn't know the Practice game sent out e-mail notifications as well.

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri May 18, 2007 4:14 pm

It does send out notifications as, in theory, several players could be having a practice game together. I requested on the GM's page that users only add people who they know want to play. If the feature continues to be abused I will have to disable some of the options and/or bung an IP trace on it...

Chris.

PS as it seems none of the four players set up the game (why run the turn without entering your own orders?) I've reset it.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Sat May 19, 2007 12:39 am

Maybe it's gotten an intelligence of it's own, kinda like that old movie "War Games"....... It REALLY wants to play!

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat May 19, 2007 8:05 am

As I recall, that computer gets the Russians to play and almost destroys the world. As Tweak would say, that is way too much pressure!

How about a nice game of chess?

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Sat May 19, 2007 4:23 pm

korexus wrote:As I recall, that computer gets the Russians to play and almost destroys the world. As Tweak would say, that is way too much pressure!

How about a nice game of chess?
www.gameknot.com

I am Calidus there. (And I think I am on one big-time losing streak again!)

I thought the computer played as the Russians, and determined that the only way to win the game was to not play it at all. It has been forever since I watched that movie that I really don't remember....

TheDragon
Recruit
Recruit

Practice Game

Post by TheDragon » Wed May 23, 2007 9:19 am

I have just signed up and my hubby - Vortan - was going to show me how to play using the practice game but my ID isn't on the list of possible players.

WHY? :(

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Wed May 23, 2007 11:14 am

This is baffling now. When I came here first off you simply applied to play and got on with it. Now it has all the GM buttons etc which is okay if your a GM and you know how to go on. Was trying to let TheDragon have a practice before a game proper but its confusing the pants off me.

HELP!

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed May 23, 2007 1:25 pm

To run the practice game, you need the GM options. That is why you can see them.

Before you can be added to a game, you need to give the server a heads up that you're active. Applying to join a game or clan should do it.

korexus.

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Wed May 23, 2007 2:39 pm

Well how about a step by step idiot's guide to the practice game because it appears to us none GM novice types to be a little complex for the uninitiated and could put off some of the none-member guest who take one look and run.

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed May 23, 2007 3:56 pm

Ok, step one: TheDragon, apply to join the Scholars (or any other clan). This will tell the Lobby that you are a real person and it will generate you a Lobby profile. (This will also allow GM Mike to add youto his game).

Step two: Vortan, reset the practice game if it's already running, then add yourself, TheDragon and anyone else who wants to play using the form at the bottom of the page. (Select a player number, the player you want, what you want to call them, don't worry about clans, then press submit. Repeat as necesary.) You can add players to more than one spot and/or leave spots blank. Please leave all blank spots at the end of the table or the OOP will get confused.

Step two a: Vortan, if you want to add robot players to the game, add the 'autogm' player. Note that if you want the robots to do anything you will have to select run as duel later on.

Step three: Vortan, press the run turn button.

Step four: Everyone who is playing, look at the page and enter orders. As you can all view the GM's page, you can view each other's turn reports and orders too.

Step five: Vortan, once everyone has entered orders you can press the run turn button. (The practice game does not auto-run) You can select to run the turn as a Standard or Duel game. Remember that Duel games have moving robots and enforced player NAPs.

Repeat steps four and five until you're finished.

Final step: Reset the practice game.

Hope that helps. If anyone wants to write up a guide for new players, I'll publish it...

Chris.

Dragonette
Commander
Commander

Post by Dragonette » Wed May 23, 2007 4:03 pm

I'm sure thedragon would like to join the scholers as then she gets to be with her lovely daughter.....................

AS IF LOVELY'S SUCH AN UNDER STATMENT

FABULOUS IS WELL BETTER :angel:

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed May 23, 2007 4:08 pm

I should have mentioned;

You don't have to pick a clan to join, just apply at random. (Mention that you're just doing it to make a profile if you wish). Normally the prfile is created when you apply to join a game, but we're fooling the Lobby by doing itthis wa round...

Chris.