Messages on the game page

Check here for the latest news, problems & ideas

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

Saladin

Messages on the game page

Post by Saladin » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:18 pm

Korexus, would it be possible to leave the messages you post on the game page instead of swaping the new message for the old?

Also how about having an option for a GM to add a link to a game's forum thread on the game page?

Thanks a million!
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:27 pm

You can leave previous messages by including them in the new message text. - There is no character limit and html tags are allowed, so you can seperate them with <br>s to make things learer. This was the easiest way to allow editing of messages. After all, if you want a conversation, you can use the forum! :wink:

The GM can edit the commentary or the houserules easily and so add a link to a game thread in one or both of those. Was that what you meant, or did you want the game add to link autmatically? - If so I should warn you that the forums and the engine are seperate modules which were written by different people and they will probably neve talk to each other...
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:44 pm

Yeah but you can't post anonimous messages on the forum. :D Plus why would you want to edit your post, if you want to correct something you can post so and say so. :)

The way it is now it's hard to really answer somebody as there's no continuity in messages.

What i meant was that it would be nice to have the link to the forum thread right there with the pop file and house rules. It's not a really important thing but it would be nice and easy to find and therefore easy to go to. :)
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:21 pm

You can either have continuous messages, or you can have editable messages. As a coder, there's very little difference. As a player, I can number my comments, so I'd prefer editable messages. To have both means creating a mini-forum for each game.

I'm not going to reproduce the boards within every game, I'm sorry, but I have better things to do with my time. I would encourage GMs to create a thread (on these boards) for new games and I can create a space for them to link to it, if it will be used.

Also, you can post anonymously on the boards, by creating a new profile. Shall I crate a specific account for this purpose? (Something like account name: infobot, password: kaomaris. Anyone can log in under these details to post info anonymously.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:13 am

Okidoki. :)

An anonymous account for general use would be very nice Korexus. Good idea!

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon May 07, 2007 6:52 pm

Well, it turns out that I don't have anthing better to do with my time after all. Games starting from now will have a different type of player commenary: Comments will stay and be displayed in chronological order. Also GMs have the ability to edit player messages from their game page. The practice game is already set up to do this and, if GM Lardy is willing, his game will be the first real run of the system.

Have fun. :)

Chris.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Tue May 08, 2007 8:15 am

I played around with the commentaries in the Practice game and I have to say it works great. Previously Chris said that we could have either threaded/continuous messages or editable messages, but it seems that now with the addition of the feature which allows GMs to edit player comments we now have both. :)

There'll probably be less discussions about games on the boards, but on the other hand players will be more encouraged to leave even a brief comment on the game's page.

Brilliaaant! :bandana: