Suggestion to the future of WOK

Check here for the latest news, problems & ideas

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

Duke

Suggestion to the future of WOK

Post by Duke » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:22 pm

I have read different threads that all follow along this topic (future of WOK, does Al exist, etc) and in order for my reply to be read by all I post it under a seperate thread since I feel that this isnt moving towards where I want it at all.

Al has under the topic "does Al exist" written down what can be interpreted as some sort of letter of intent where it is clear that WOK5 in his mind is a sinking ship and in order for us to keep the community healthy we should abandon it and push for further development within the WOK-ON system which is based on the WOK4 engine.

I must say that this is indeed sad. I myself prefer WOK5 vastly over WOK4 even though I still find WOK4 entertaining (unlike some). I was hoping, expecting even, that WOK5 would be the next engine to be transformed into a WOK-ON structure and thus it saddens me to see that the creator of it all have given up hope on it.

However, as one of the oldtimers of the community I would like to appeal to everyone to do what is needed to be done when a rough situation develops. Namely to close ranks. Whatever petty differences we might have developed over the years must be put aside for now.

Al, I can not see the necessity to close down WOK5. If you dont want to continue working on it then leave it to one of us. If we dont have anyone suited to develop it for now then we could use the current version and wait for a new member that has the aquired skills.

When in the course of Kaomarian events it becomes necessary for one community to dissolve the operative bands which have connected it with its creator, and to assume among the powers of the earth the separate & equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

This I feel I have done above 8)

So Al, please let us keep WOK5. Sure like 20 players play it but take a look at which players they are and you will soon see the use for keeping it.
First one here, last one to leave.

Duke

Post by Duke » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:04 pm

One more thing.

Al, you created this game and started this community and for that we are all grateful. But we, the ones that have been around for quite some time now are the "magic" of the community. We make it happend and without us you would simply have a database, a game engine and some random visitors.

I understand that you cannot enjoy running this dog and pony show forever and that sometimes RL crashes down on you with work and whatnot. That is just the point! We offer to help you carry the load. To deny us that is, and I am sorry for being blunt, just stupid. No offence intended.

Some of us, well at least me, want to keep striving forward with WOK5 and improve it (almost put in "for future generations" but that was a bit much dont you think?)

I can even buy that server deal thing for five bucks a month to keep the WOK5 engine on if that makes you feel better.

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:51 pm

Hey Dukie....

try reading my last post again will ya ? :P

WOK5 isnt a "sinking ship", I never said that. It will in its current state (aka not playbale online) just not be THE game that will have people flock to the site. Read that I suggested to make an online version out of it - it would be a PERFECT addition and just close the cycle form an easy game (WOK-ON) to a more complex gaming environment (WOK5-ON). I am IN NO WAY denying anyone anything, in fact Im trying to help getting things moving again - FORWARD and not BACK to the old days.

Saladin is now officially the "community manager" and will take care to keep you updated with news and more. On the technical side Im not sure who is left and doing what, but anyways the whole thing needs a TEAM of at least 5 or more people to assure its run properly. As long as we dont have that we will hibernate in the mom&pop status, simple as that.

The potential is wide, even WOK:SPECIES is kinda "ready" to get re-activated and attract a new bunch of players. And again, from a financial side you shouldnt worry, enough cash should be here to keep this up for a long time. Again, try reading my last post one more time :D

Duke

Post by Duke » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:02 pm

I did. Still get the same impression. However that isnt important since I know understand you.

Yes, put more effort into WOK Species will you :roll: It is a fun game :wink:

The community survived The Great Irish Invasion back in 2001. I belive it will outlive this.

Well, everything is in order then. My work here is done. *exit warlord Duke*

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:17 pm

*looks at the moon to check if its the cause for overall bad moods around*

Donation page updated. Hosting paid up to E01/06, domainm name renews in october automatically. Still roughly $150 left, so with Chris subscription it should be easy to have everything secured to at least E01/07.

Hope this puts away some of the worries. WOK is here to stay. 8)

Duke

Post by Duke » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:30 pm

Well so am I.......and sorry Al but Nick as well :wink: I'll make sure of that if only to keep you on your toes. 8)

Duke

Post by Duke » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:40 pm

I just won like 11 bucks on something called Caribbean Stud Poker. I never understood it but now I want to bet on something else. The best odds seems to be in division 2 english footie. Anyone got a tip? I'll invest the profit into WOK and Al's WoW clan. (yea sure)

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:48 pm

For what it's worth, if you read my posts Al you'll see I agree with you. The way WOK-ON is running now, for WOK 5 to remain viable it almost has to make the transition as well. I just don't know if there is anybody able/willing to sink the huge amount of time into translating it. I would LOVE to help out with that, but I have no real knowledge of programming, so I can't be too much help there.

We'll see where it goes, I guess. I'll stick around as long as WOK 5 is still a viable game, online or not. I fear that Al is right, though, and if WOK 5 doesn't join WOK 4 online in the next year or so we may not see any more WOK 5 games, and whether or not there's a "player base" for it I guarentee you at least SOME players would leave the community if not for WOK 5. No secret that I'm one of them, I have said it repeatedly over the years, but I doubt I'd be the ONLY one. The oldest player of us all has already left because of lack of progress on this issue and I can't help but feel the same way, to some extent.

In any case.....Saladin, or Chris, or Rune....if any of you need any help with maintaining any aspect of WOK, let me know. I can't program but I'm good at most other things usually; I've thought of launching a major recruiting drive but I really don't wish to do that until WOK 5 is brought back into the fold, as it were.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:12 pm

I think the two next logical steps are to find people who are willing and able to update the wok 5 engine. And if we have found these people for the wok 5 focus group to give them their list of needed changes.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Duke

Post by Duke » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:13 am

Yes! Nick, why dont you start a focus group?

lol

Funny btw that Dameon claims to be good at, and I quote, "most other things usually" so watch out. One day he might be an expert and the day after he is totally usless at the same thing. (anyone around to slam dunk a joke about it?)

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:25 pm

I'd be happy to organize the focus group again once I actually know there's somebody out there willing/able to actually code the changes into the engine. 8)
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:03 pm

I have sent Chris the latest files I was able to find, but m still scanning various sources for newer backups (I believe the files were not newer then V3.25)

Rebuilding (and expanding) the engine while we really would need an online version of the game to make it suitable for the masses isnt an option.

I still suggest to emphasize on WOK-ON, expand the playerbase there first and then ask for more help to put an "advanced" WOK5 online. Activate WOK: SP too to attract even more players.

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:16 pm

gm_al wrote: Activate WOK: SP too to attract even more players.
Species takes way too much time to manage..........

Unless your a prisoner in a cell.....
Oh no!!! I'm out of those important papers.......

TBert
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TBert » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:59 pm

Species is for the people that have all day to sit around and guide a frog around a continent, and there are more than you'd expect. Like Duke.

WOK-ON is easy to use, yes, but inevitably people will crave more. I think, if we can maintain and slowly grow a group of advanced players (I'm guilty for coming and going, I'll admit) we can eventually build the pool enough to create demand for WOK5-ON.

Somebody needs to update the New Visitors adobe file to have the correct links to get to games, but other than that, that top link for new gamers is in a perfect spot Sal.
pro libertate eos occubuisse - "they died for liberty"

Clan Head - Valn Ohtar

SGT - US Army

23-year-old father of 3 - really needs a beer