Check here for the latest news, problems & ideas

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

TK
Trooper
Trooper

Another One Bites The Dust

Post by TK » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:51 pm

Hey everyone,

Its official - I am leaving WOK. Its just become too easy (I havent lost a "normal" game since a silly typo 18 months ago!). The cheap VPs are fun for a while but when you are fighting the same people every game, with the same allies, same old enemies, and NOBODY EVER puts up a good fight, it gets boring fast. Look at Fredo's game where I won two 2-on-1's even though I was the "1" both times. :evil:

It seems that the Oxford guys know how to exploit the rules and nobody else does. When was the last time an Oxford guy lost to a non-Oxford player?? It just doesnt happen, and its a joke. The fact that with such little training, Xarfei is now one of the best players, is just a joke. There is no other word for it.

I have tried to help the situation -- so many times I have emailed Al with considered changes to the manager only for him to either ignore them, or make random changes. Basically I give up. :x

Duke -- if WOK5 ever gets changed then I expect you to come looking for me. :wink: However we will probably still have the situation where one or two players understand the imbalances in the rules better than others and therefore win every game.

The only thing that kept my interest up this year was joining the Family. At least then we had some good fights against the new breed of "Scholars". Even the Scholars are not what they used to be. No surprises there though. :wink:

So big thanks to AF and UT who helped me win the Champs this year. Also thanks to Nick who has tried harder than anyone to fix the broken game we play.

Maybe I'll see you in next year's Champs, IF IT HAPPENS. But then, the Clan Champs seem to have disappeared... Are the Champs gonna be the next thing to go?

Thin King

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:55 pm

Oh...so you want to get beaten again and again? Why don't you play wok 4 then? I promiss you that you won't win any games that i'm in. :D
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:34 pm

LOL

I win.
It's not fast unless its got a fart can.

Duke

Post by Duke » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:52 pm

I dont know what to say here except that it will be sad to see you leave and trust me, I will come after you.

It might be as you say. It all comes down to mathematical predictions and naturally an Oxford student would be more fit to win at that then a high school student or for that matter a swedish salesman.

I still refuse to think that it is as easy to win as you say. If you signed up in a group where I am in after a post like this I would have an easy task of talking EVERYONE in the group of attacking you and even with a clanmate no math in hell would help you in an 8-2 battle. I still say that diplomacy is more importent then battle skills until you hit the endgame. Might be that you are good at both?

I see your point however so I suggest you take a leave of absence rather then quitting forever. You have enjoyed the game until some point so it cant be all bad, now can it?

At the moment my thoughts are also with those of you in England. After todays events it feels rather unimportent of the different "problems" we have in an internetgame.
First one here, last one to leave.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:11 pm

Strange as it may seem, I am sorry to see you go TK. You were always good for a fight. Although, for the record, in the last two games I played I lost one and won one against Korexus (Vegas), so that qualifies as beating an Oxford player. I will admit I don't play nearly as much as I used to though (Vegas was a while back now, I know), and for a lot of the reasons TK has brought forth.

I'll be returning to WOK in about a month or so still, but as to what level I will be involved remains up in the air. It's clear to me Al doesn't really care about WOK anymore (that clan update TK, I, and co. sent him is well over six months overdue now), so I'm actually considering starting a WOW character myself to see what all the fuss is about. If I do and get sucked in like Al has, you'll see a lot less of me in all likelyhood too.

I believe that if I had been as active as TK has in the last year, I might be leaving as well, but my personal life has given me a very low level of WOK activity, so I'm not as burned out by the fact that Al refused to fix the exploits and balance WOK 5 more. I don't know what the future holds for me and WOK, but I have a feeling that if Al keeps ignoring it then I may also join TK on what I have to believe is just an extended sabbatical.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:02 pm

Mutter mutter, stupid 8-city-win-when-you-can't-even-see-where-the-cities-are rule!

GM and I didn't look so bad in that game and we had Massie's spy code cracked. So in a different game we may still have come out ok. But despite having 19 provinces between us, we still only found one of the cities. :(

So yes, Dameon's point is correct, but I don't think it stands against TK's arguement. (Neptune's Island may be a better one for that. - Both GM and myself have been in a 2 on one from the start and just as we're starting to get the upper hand, more people want to join in. I wouldn't say the game has got too easy just yet!)

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Post by Undertaker » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:22 pm

korexus wrote:So yes, Dameon's point is correct, but I don't think it stands against TK's arguement.
korexus.
Certainly Allister Fiend and myself don't fall under that category as we've had our share of success against you Oxford guys. :P
"That's a good question. Let me see...In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked." Hunter S. Thompson

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:32 am

Dameon wrote:I'm actually considering starting a WOW character myself to see what all the fuss is about. If I do and get sucked in like Al has, you'll see a lot less of me in all likelyhood too.
If you see him in there. Tell him we miss him. Well, some of us do. :roll:
First one here, last one to leave.

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:01 pm

Undertaker wrote: Certainly Allister Fiend and myself don't fall under that category as we've had our share of success against you Oxford guys. :P
To this day that still is happening................constantly.

Getting bored with beating up the Oxies... :wink:
Oh no!!! I'm out of those important papers.......

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:40 pm

Hmmm, remind me again --- who won the last clan championship? :P
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

Yarosund
Trooper
Trooper

Change Clan

Post by Yarosund » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:07 pm

Tk why not join another Clan then you can play against the other Oxford studos and see if they are as good as you?

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:14 pm

I'm #1

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:57 pm

Raw wrote:I'm #1
Yup, #1 assclown :lol:

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:58 pm

Allister Fiend wrote:
Raw wrote:I'm #1
Yup, #1 assclown :lol:
LOL..yup!

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:58 pm

Egbert wrote:Hmmm, remind me again --- who won the last clan championship? :P
Hmmm, remind me again why you were so great at WOK4...woohoo.....that's the real deal eh EG? :wink:

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Post by Undertaker » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:52 pm

Egbert wrote:Hmmm, remind me again --- who won the last clan championship? :P
Since when do you attend Oxford? And Brykovian for that matter?

It's about losing to Oxford guys, not the "hanger's on". :P

If it had been a WOK 5 game, you'd have never stood a chance, even without TK on our side.
"That's a good question. Let me see...In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked." Hunter S. Thompson

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:18 pm

Undertaker wrote:Since when do you attend Oxford? And Brykovian for that matter?
Um ... why am I being brought into this? I'm not very good at either WOK4 or WOK5 ... so why does it matter what uni I attended?

Oxford would never have me ... please remember that I am one of those typically lazy, stupid, arrogant, overweight Yanks. ;) Only the studious, intellegent, selfless, good looking Brits are allowed to go to school there -- plus a handful from mainland Europe who the Brits feel pity upon.

I was content to attend my small University of Wisconsin campus with easy access to plenty of deep-fried foods and local beer. :)

-Bryk

p.s. What was being discussed again? I'm hungry!
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:36 pm

Undertaker wrote:If it had been a WOK 5 game, you'd have never stood a chance, even without TK on our side.

So, just out of interest, why didn't you choose a WoK 5 game? It was you're call that time...
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Xechortariaste
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Xechortariaste » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:29 am

Brykovian wrote:... please remember that I am one of those typically lazy, stupid, arrogant, overweight Yanks. ;)
Amen, brother!