RECRUITMENT

Check here for the latest news, problems & ideas

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

How big would you like the WOK active community to be?

A. About as now, familiar people and close-knit, 25-45 actives,
17%
B. A bit bigger, 50 -100 actives, maybe double current size.
42%
C. As big as poss, the more the better.
42%

Total votes: 24

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:18 pm

Intresting that TK's reply came before Raw's question. Wierd.

Ok, onto Mr.Mystery Phred.

First off. Cudos on not taking my comments on your ideas personally. Some people here freak out if they get critizised. I admire your caracter when you even thank me for replying. Keep it up!

Ok, let me reply on some things here.
phred wrote:Most fights on the boards are through NAP breaking and mis-understood alliances. Many people have left because of it. If there was an inbuilt alliance system --- let's say I offer an alliance to a couple of players, if they take up my alliance request then I don't have to worry about them and I know they can't attack me, but if they don't accept my request, then we consider ourselves at war.
This does exist in WOK5. Does anyone use it? I've never seen it. Even though it sucks when it happends, it is still great that a knife in the back is a possability. You have to calculate the odds on a "ally" to turn on you. I'd hate to actually KNOW that they cant.
But it doesn't hurt to tinker from time to time if it improves the game and attracts/retains more people than it does now. I'm not necessarily talking about changing WOK4 or 5, perhaps it's for sometime in the future with WOK6 or 7
I buy what you are saying but to me the changes or "improvements" you are suggesting are simply too harsh. To me they, as I said, kill the soul of the game.

Anyway, we are drifting off from the actual subject of recruitment to enchancements of the game itself. Like a TV preacher I would like to say "Lets stay on the path folks!"

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:19 pm

It's Ecrivian....that's my guess.
It's not fast unless its got a fart can.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:21 pm

That would make sense...that explains why he doesn't like diplomacy. Ecrivian was the easiest kill in the game so nobody ever napped with him. :P
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:36 pm

Saladin wrote:That would make sense...that explains why he doesn't like diplomacy. Ecrivian was the easiest kill in the game so nobody ever napped with him. :P
Sad but true!
It's not fast unless its got a fart can.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:52 pm

What's up with that bunny of yours Raw?

It looks so so...unlike you. :D

It looks like something AF takes to bed, after Mylantis reads him his bed time story and turns on the night light. :P
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:18 am

HAHAHAHA... AF you loser... you sleep with a night light...

Back on topic. I definitely don't think that changing the games is an option. They are what they are. I don't think Al has any aspirations to change them either.

I know it's very limited, but I still believe that enlisting personal friends is the best method of recruiting new players. It allows for personally teaching a player a game and it's easier to kick them in the 'You-know-whats' when they miss a turn.

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Validon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Validon » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:13 pm

So, ummmmmmm, Donut???? How many close personal friends of yours are playing? hmmmmmmmmmmm????

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:19 pm

All of them. :P

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:20 pm

Most of my friends are of the "Jock" persuasion; so they are kinda out. The ones I've tried have seen how addicted I am and have steered clear. There aren't too many people I know that like anything outside of a console game :oops:

Donut

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:50 pm

Yup, same here. And the few friends that do like to play (board)games are idiots when it comes to the internet. :P

Luckily i have a girl friend who really loves playing (board) games, sadly no online games though.

So at least i've got somebody to play War of the Ring with once i get my copy!

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:39 pm

Sal, not everyone can be a genius like ourselves...

Shows how different some people are from their friends though. I'm curious what type of person plays WOK... The answers to this could be scary

Donut

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:29 am

Donut wrote:Sal, not everyone can be a genius like ourselves...

HEHE! Sal and GENIUS in the same breath.....kind of like Military and Intelligence.......
Donut wrote: Shows how different some people are from their friends though. I'm curious what type of person plays WOK...
I would almost have to say that predominantely, a WOK player is a little....er....eccentric......just look around....
Calidus
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.

Duke

Post by Duke » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:41 am

Aussie Gaz wrote:Many, many moons ago someone created a single page flyer/handout for WOK.

It may still be accessible on the old website and it was perfect for putting on noticeboards etc.

Many players (myself included) are not as active as they once were.
It is still here:

http://www.kaomaris.com/phpNuke/modules ... load&cid=3

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:26 pm

AL what ever happened to the link my My group 1? I always thought that was a good tool for explaining how the game works. I will see if I can find that link I think it might be a good idea to put that on a newbie page so they could see how those 2 played that game.

http://www.angelfire.com/in3/wok/Summary/nestalawe.html

It's too bad I don't still have those turn reports I think that might have been even more helpful. That game was played on my old computer downstairs maybe I will go see if they are still there anywhere. If so I will let you know maybe someone could come up with some way to integrate them into the page.

I think that is it. Duke feel free to add that to anything you want, I have no plans to remove it.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Duke

Post by Duke » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:38 am

Good one UD. However, Hannibal stated that he is doing the newbie page (earlier in this thread) so I have left that ship.

Started a project last night. I e-mailed a number of strategic wargame groups that I found on the net. All of them were swedish since I feel that I should at least be able to get 10-15 more swedes into here. Add a few from other countries and we are soon up to 100. If one third stays I'd say the recruitment was a sucess.

I'll fill you in on how it goes.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:24 am

Duke wrote:
Aussie Gaz wrote:Many, many moons ago someone created a single page flyer/handout for WOK.

It may still be accessible on the old website and it was perfect for putting on noticeboards etc.

Many players (myself included) are not as active as they once were.
It is still here:

http://www.kaomaris.com/phpNuke/modules ... load&cid=3
I found it listed, after navigation difficulties, and described , in Downloads Main......but I couldn't view it, never mind download it. Is it just me? Could someone send me acopy, or put it somewhere with a simple link to view it from a post on this thread? Meanwhile, I'm working on it.......

~ Han
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:03 pm

You should be able to open it direct from this link, http://www.kaomaris.com/flyer1.doc If you can't then the problem's at your end because I copied and pasted that from the browser I was looking at the flyer in. :P

Someone may want to update the flyer slightly before we use it though. The information is slightly dated.

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran
Location: Aalesund, Norway (freezing!). Member of the Vulkings

Post by Mullog » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:49 pm

Here it is. The pdf-version of the flyer.

Erm... How do I upload an attachment? ... Oh well.
Here http://www.rag.no/wok.pdf it is!
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:31 pm

Good work on the New player tutorial... Not sure why but I read the entire thing.

Donut

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:28 pm

Me too. Han has a writing style that kind of draws you along... Still that's what we need if we're going to get more people interested! :D

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability