The Duel Championship

Talk about the two player Standard WoK variant

Moderators: trewqh, korexus, Hannibal

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:14 pm

I'm trying to help here. See, eg, trewqh's willingness to GM but ubdecided about actually committing to playing ...

For him and others, it might be that it sounds like committing to a HUGE volume of games...

I agree with you, Dukie, on a group stage adding to the fun.

But, above, I suggested we kick off with just two games per group. You took that as:
Duke wrote: I understand if not everyone wants to play four-five games at a time so I am guessing that two games per player will do just fine ...

/D.
No, I meant the GM kicks off two games, one between A and B and one between C and D. ONE game per player. Yep, this stretches the total tournament to months or a year, as I advised earlier. No problem, IMHO.

For the undecideds, or "not heard about it yet", I think you, Duke, ought to stress that a player is only ever playing ONE Duel at once; they are just structured as to who you play next, building to a final, Sure, if a player WANTS to start a second Full Duel, before his first ends, then the GM can make it happen. But the norm is one-game-before-another-starts, for the sanity of us all?

Plus, I don't want players' commitments to the Duel-Tourney to take up all their WOK-time! ... such that they don't have time for the real Standard WOK? It was never my intention, with Duel, to take away from the playings of Standard WOK, only to fill the gaps and have a version to play on the side if there were two of you.

Me, I only want ONE of these FULL DUEL TOURNEY games at a time, even if that stretches the tourney to a year before a Winner. I want to have some time off to play Standard, and Lite, and Trinity, and EWOK, and Q and S...even Teams...

So, Duke, maybe TELL everyone it will go slowly, usually you play only ONE game at a time.

Also, I'd reassure us all that there are effectively no deadlines-per-turn. Just like in Duel and in Duel-Lite. You would not be committing to some 3-day deadlines to get 3 sets of orders in at a rush just before a deadline ... I'm keen to preserve that Duels, being harder, NEVER make you rush orders for a deadline, never. Yep, even if that makes the tournament go at the pace of the slowest, and even if some get impatient.

One last point: this will not be the ONLY place/tournament in which to play Duels! If your game has finished, and C and D are stringing theirs out, feel free to fit in a challenge or practice game while you are waiting, no problem. Or even find a game now to get your eye in before it all kicks off; I see that Vinceismi and Jen are having a Full Duel game just started, getting ready for when the tournament starts. Great.

I hope y'all realise that this is SUPPORTING Duke's great initiative, suggesting tweaks, not criticising it. But Duke decides.

Han
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:59 pm

Ok. I am now officially telling everyone that this will go as slow as the players want to. You can play one game at a time or, if you opponents agree, you could go all "Kasparov" and play four games at a time. Either way works.

It can take a week or a decade. The purpouse of it all is to have games to play and a fun type of championship to compete in.

Are we all good?

Oh and all that other stuff Han said. *quickly checks his post* Yeah, that applies...or I agree or whatever I am suppoused to do. :wink:
First one here, last one to leave.

Aussie Gaz

Post by Aussie Gaz » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:30 am

Yes. I will play.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:31 pm

OK. I can play!

:deal:
Duke wrote:I am now officially telling everyone that this will go as slow as the players want to.
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:00 pm

trewqh wrote:OK. I can play!

:deal:
Duke wrote:I am now officially telling everyone that this will go as slow as the players want to.
What happens if a player dies during turns? Does someone else in his/her clan get to take over, or does it count as a "quit"? :angel:
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:05 pm

I say the game should be paused until the player reincarnates in a form capable of using computers. :P
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:22 pm

Or if a player goes on a crazy quest to find some sort of gem wrapped in a wriddle in some book from the -70ies? Should we wait for him until his story hits the NJ papers or?

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:48 pm

I'm in.
Question everything.

Duke

Post by Duke » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:29 am

Goodie. I just recieved notice that Mullog is too Norwegian to play duels so he wont be added.

Tinker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tinker » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:04 pm

I'm game, so long as nobody expects blinding speed from me.
Tinker
"Trust me, of course I'm on your side..."

CrazyPsycho
Recruit
Recruit

Post by CrazyPsycho » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:08 am

you can add me to the list.

TBert
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TBert » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:34 am

Yeah.

I'm down. The one game at a time per player thing is imperative though - I've been ridiculous busy and it's probably not going to let up for a while.

I'll email Vortan.
pro libertate eos occubuisse - "they died for liberty"

Clan Head - Valn Ohtar

SGT - US Army

23-year-old father of 3 - really needs a beer

Dragonette
Commander
Commander

Post by Dragonette » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:57 am

im in. To make my group complete. Even though il lose, with everyone including hryllante how emmbarsasing. :D

d

Duke

Post by Duke » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:07 am

You're added. I put CP in the group with least players that had accepted.

Duke

Post by Duke » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:57 pm

Ok, I've waited, emailed and gmailchatted with people not yet on the list and I now call it enough.

I'll fix up the groups so they even up and then we are officially on the road with this thing!!!!

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:22 pm

Duke. Do you want the games to be played on specific maps? Or at GM's discretion? Or players' choice?

GM Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Ultyguy
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Ultyguy » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:21 pm

If I'm not too late, I'd love to throw my name in the hat as well. I may be new, but hey what better way to learn then to be beaten by the best.

Ulty

Dragonette
Commander
Commander

Post by Dragonette » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:37 pm

i think gm should choose the map and leave bidding OUT of the equation for the people that hate the idea or dont understand it or the point

d

Duke

Post by Duke » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:03 pm

GM's decide the map and Utilityguy or whatever :wink: will be added in Group A which has only three players (but four now).

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:24 pm

Dragonette wrote:i think gm should choose the map and leave bidding OUT of the equation for the people that hate the idea or dont understand it or the point

d
So, Duke, you da boss, how do you want to call this? Different maps? (probably yes), Every GM has to stick to current rules? (probably yes).

Bidding? Ouch. I think you all seriously underestimate
a) the effort required by the GM to make it even ... and then defend that claim against a player who says he/she got a raw start-deal;

and b) the downside if you confuse "random" with "fair",

and c) you instictively overestimate the degree of "complication" if you DO do one round of bidding; it ain't that complicated!: just choose which of the 2 you think has the starting-advantage, and bid more than the other guy for it. It just AIN'T that complicated!! And it auto-corrects for fair start. Ulty? You conservatives, you...

Han
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to