The Duel Championship

Talk about the two player Standard WoK variant

Moderators: trewqh, korexus, Hannibal

Ultyguy
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Ultyguy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:46 pm

I'm not sure I should step in on bidding as I am new, never played and could end up in way over my head. I haven't read any posts on the effectiveness of the bid and how it has worked out in the past. I can see how a more experienced/skillful play can take advantage of the bid. However isn't it more interesting if experience/skill is used to make the start more interesting than simply random. Currently I may be biased as I've only had 2 starts presented to me, both by Han, the first of which was advantage me, the second much more interesting. I don't think placing a bid would be that much more difficult than figuring out what your first turn actions would be. I'm assuming most people consider what they would do if they were the opponent already, as part of their strategy, so choosing a prefered side with a reduced start pop would seem to me a very good 1st turn so to speak. The part about knowing the other's bid was the part I wasn't sure of. I thought it would make it interesting if you still had to guess at that, although the score probably still shows it, unless it wasn't updated until the next turn.

Ulty

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:05 pm

Ok, this is my show and for once I get to call the shots.

Regardless what you think these will be:

No bidding. Why? Because it takes a ton of time and *input own excuse here*.

GM choose the map. GM's will be all-mighty in the group stage. Use the same map, use different ones, I dont care. Just give everyone a fair shot.

Eeeeh, cant come up with anything else here besides the general rule: Have fun. Dont worry about if it is fair or not. It is the freaking Gassner trophy. Not the Stanley cup.

Ok all? Just have fun. Dont dig yourself down into discussions about extreme fairness and what not *glances at Han* If you want rules you've come to the wrong place so to speak :wink:

Oh yes, rules. Standard WOK rules with the headhunting deal and whatnot. In all aspects the rules are what you normally get without messing about in the manager.

Newcomers either study or do what I do. Learn the hard way. 8)
First one here, last one to leave.

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:12 pm

hA<b>n</b>n<b><i>i</i></b>Ba<i><b>L</b></i> wrote: Bidding? Ouch. I think you all seriously underestimate
a) the effort required by the GM to make it even ... and then defend that claim against a player who says he/she got a raw start-deal;
So dont give it that much effort. Run one or two startups and get it going. Heck if one gets a crappy spot well then that's life. Deal with it. If they give you a hard time then show them to me and I'll DDos attack them into oblivion.

General rule 2 of the The Duel Champs: Have fun or I will force you
First one here, last one to leave.

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hryllantre » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:35 pm

I will win this whole competition without question so bet on me before my odds become too short. korexus your first in line to be pummelled so just let me know when your ready...