Who will take on Duke in a Full Duel??

Talk about the two player Standard WoK variant

Moderators: trewqh, korexus, Hannibal

Duke

Post by Duke » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:28 pm

Any time now Bryk. Feel free to press those buttons when you are ready.

You might have misunderstood the whole sleeping tactic... :roll:
First one here, last one to leave.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:41 pm

ROFL! Brilliant, Duke.
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:47 am

My sincerest apologies. :(

This weekend got away on me. Should be able to put it together sometime tomorrow.

Really -- Duke (and everyone else paying attention to this one) ... I'm quite sorry for the delay.

-Bryk
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

Duke

Post by Duke » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:21 am

Hey, I know how that is so pay no attention to my smart remarks. You know me. If I get the chance to make a crack at someone I take it.

Seriously, I am in no rush.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:01 am

Ditto, Bryk, no problem at all. One of the pluses of going in for a Duel is that there are effectively NO DEADLINES. You can play when you have time, you can savour it, you can give it your best shot, the engine waits till both players have pressed Ready, you never have to go M-1 and never have to rush your orders. It waits for you, no problem, no time-pressure.

Of course, that doesn't stop the other guy from bantering with you as to how come you can't think up any orders yet, but that's just banter. DUEL is built on "Engine waits till both players have put in orders and pressed Ready, no problem, no pressure". It's one of the reasons I play Duels without worrying whether I'm in too many games; Duels have no deadlines, so I'm never under deadline-pressure. Nor are you. No problem. In fact, the opposite: the rest of us only want to see what happens next when you've both given the next turn your best shot; not when one of you was rushed into getting orders in. No deadlines. Deliberately. Take your time!

Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Duke

Post by Duke » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:40 pm

And all that comes from the guy who took for ever to enter his orders. :wink:

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:56 am

Duke wrote:And all that comes from the guy who took for ever to enter his orders. :wink:
Ha, friend Duck, you can blame yourself for that!! ;-) In the sense that: you always played each turn so cleverly and surprisingly that you always left me with a headache as to what to do next turn! I needed to study it, shake my head, run away for a day, and then come back and try something ... But I think I only ever took an OK 3 days. It's just that you are SO quick that you end up waiting 3 days ... Hey, you should be grateful - it meant you survived longer before losing!! (smack!) ;-) ;-)

H

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:21 pm

Congrats, Duke. You crushed me.

-Bryk
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bjorn » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:50 pm

The Knights prevail! There is justice in the World!

Right, I accept all those bets:
Aussie G 1 silver bar on Duke.
Tinker 1 silver bar on Bryk.
Bjorn 1 tiny pearl on Duke, just to show support.

Han: How can you close me up? On what grounds?
Bjorn: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!
[a croupier hands Bjorn a tiny Pearl]
Croupier: Your winnings, sir.
Bjorn: [sotto voce] Oh, thank you very much.
[aloud]
Bjorn: Everybody out at once!

Gimme! 8)
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Tinker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tinker » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:08 pm

Between my lost wager here and Yondallus kicking my behind in our duel, I'm going to be begging on the streets soon! Ah, me sainted mother was right about the gambling, she was.
Tinker
"Trust me, of course I'm on your side..."

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:10 pm

To the losers of bets:
Clicking on your profile should show you a list of items you own. You can then choose the player to give an item to from the select box. You can also mention the game id of this Duel, if you do so, the item will be listed as "won in game..." with a link.

To the winers:
You need to pester the losers to pay up.

I chatted with Han about making an automated system for betting, but the conclusion was that it probably wasn't worth it. However, I can try making improvements to the current system if anyone has suggestions.

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Duke

Post by Duke » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:29 pm

Brykovian wrote:Congrats, Duke. You crushed me.

-Bryk
Wouldnt say that but I won 8)

Tinker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tinker » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:44 pm

korexus wrote:To the losers of bets:
Clicking on your profile should show you a list of items you own. You can then choose the player to give an item to from the select box. You can also mention the game id of this Duel, if you do so, the item will be listed as "won in game..." with a link.
I sent my silver to Hannibal and the item description went a little funky. Either I entered the game number incorrectly (I went with a simple 42) or there's an error somewhere. Also, the bar is still showing up in my list of possessions, although it does list as Han's if I click on it.
Tinker

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:31 am

korexus wrote:
I chatted with Han about making an automated system for betting, but the conclusion was that it probably wasn't worth it. However, I can try making improvements to the current system if anyone has suggestions.

Chris.
Just to redress my reputation, as it is ambiguous above: I'd like to point out that it was ME saying it wouldn't be worth it, not me asking for it to be automated. OK?! :wink:
H

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bjorn » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:59 pm

hA<b>n</b>n<b><i>i</i></b>Ba<i><b>L</b> wrote: Just to redress my reputation, :wink:
H
What reputation? :?

Where's my tiny pearl, deadbeat. :x
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:09 am

Bjorn wrote:
Where's my tiny pearl, deadbeat. :x
No problem. It's down there. About 80 feet down below that sea-surface, being kept safe for you in one of those 10,000 oysters you'll find down there. Hey, I never said anything about postage & packing; it's strictly buyer-collects ....

H :wink:

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bjorn » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:38 am

Hannibal wrote: ...Hey, I never said anything about postage & packing; it's strictly buyer-collects ....

H :wink:
So, what's the story? Are you really a deadbeat, or is the mechanic of transferring items not quite working yet? If not, I'll have to find a game to bet you double or nothing. 8)

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:38 am

It works fine, the only problem is that Tinker entered the wrong number for gameID.

While it is Han's game#42, it's quite possible that another GM would have a game 42 too. To keep everything neat in the databse every game is given a unique game ID, this game is 387.

Simple go to your profile, scroll down to the item you want to give, choose the player to give it to from the select box and type in the number 387. The item will be swapped and gain the description "won in GM Han's Full Duel #42 Gardenic. Duke vs Brykovian".

Chris.

Tinker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tinker » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:14 pm

Oops :oops:
Tinker

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:22 pm

No worries, it was easy enough to fix, once I realised what you'd done. :)

Chris.