Who will take on Duke in a Full Duel??

Talk about the two player Standard WoK variant

Moderators: trewqh, korexus, Hannibal

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Who will take on Duke in a Full Duel??

Post by Hannibal » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:28 am

Our Duke seems to have a taste for Duels, and has applied for a next Duel, straight after his win over Aussie G in Full Duel #32.

Anyone care to take him on?? Please?

It shouldn't be me or Aussie G yet, since we are the last two who played him. Nor Trewqh, who is busy in too many games (and we can save Duke v Trewqh [rhymes?] for a biggie another day).

And not a brave beginner. It needs to be someone who knows Duel or is pretty good at Standard WOK. But Duke is not "invincible": he's won two, lost one.

When I put out a call like this for someone to take on Lord Fredo, Duke stepped up and won. Anyone care to try to do the same to Duke?!

C'mon, give it a go! It's probably just 7 intense turns, every one exciting.

Han
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:31 am

I'll play with Duke. He's kinda sweet on me anyway. ;)

-Bryk
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:45 am

Perfect! Thanks, Bryk. Looks like a very even match to me. In Full Duels, Duke has won 2 and lost 1. Bryk has won 1 and lost 1. Both know what they're doing, and both brought strategy-preferences into their approaches to Duel - I shouldn't say more than that!

In fact, I'm so riveted by this one that I'd like to involve others by taking side-bets on it! You know that we now have "currency"? It's stuff you can "buy", eg diamonds, (for points you've earned), from Kor and Yond's new Trading Post. I think. Still in development, Kor says, but see: http://www.kaomaris.com/phpNuke/modules ... y&tab=shop

I haven't actually bought diamonds yet (I'm waiting till they complete it more), and nor have you, probably, but I'll take bets in the expectation that we'll have such currency soon.

I'll offer even money on this one on either Bryk or Duke. Bet a small diamond on one or the other, and I'll pay you a small diamond if you're right. Offer open to all. Open for first 4 takers. Open from now till Turn 1 runs, ie you CAN wait till you see how Turn 0 looks if you like.

Any bets?!?

Meanwhile, I'll go set up the game. Gardenic map, as per "Games to Join". Full Duel. :D

H

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Tinker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tinker » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:43 pm

I had to put everything I "own" up against Yondallus to get him to wager his pigeon. Otherwise, my money would be on my fellow Scholar, Brykovian. Alas, all I can offer is moral support; I make it a practice to never gamble on credit :D
Tinker
"Trust me, of course I'm on your side..."

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:41 pm

Right. That won't stop us. I'm dead keen to get this side-bet-thing going, if only for a brief bit of fun before it's forgotten. And I THINK I'm helping Yond and Kor by creating this betting, as another thing to do with your diamonds and stuff. And I like it for Duels, because it potentially makes 4 or 6 people avidly interested in the result ....

SO: After buying your diamond or so, do you, Tinker, have any leftover points, ie small change? I'll accept bets in terms of points, just so we have some kind of bet!

OR: Kor and Yond ought to deal out a diamond or two to every player as seed-money. A bit like £1,500 in Monopoly, UK version. Was it £1,500?

That wd mean you could wager without betting on credit. Me, I'm happy to bet on credit (as long as it's not real money) - I fully expect to earn points faster than I lose them by taking bets ....

As for who you're betting on, ie. Bryk to beat Duke, ... My willingness to take your bet doesn't imply that I think Duke will win. I'll take bets at evens either way on this one! If anything, I have a sneaking suspicion that your Scholar- loyalty to Bryk might just be right - Bryk's past favourite approach to Duels might well counter Duke's past favourite approach to Duels ...

Nah, I'd call it even. I was just winding Duke up. :wink:

I'm open to more side-bets from others.

Han

Tinker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tinker » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:51 pm

Fair enough :) If the system can handle it, then I'll put my remaining points (34?) on Brykovian!
Tinker

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:25 pm

I'd prefer it if you bet items. They're much easier to move around. I'm happy to create some smaller value items - pearls or silver bars maybe. It'll save me having to transfer points manually.

Starting points for players are easily enough done. I imagine that the item system will be reset at least once before it's finished though...

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Tinker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tinker » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:50 pm

It's just for entertainment anyway, so it doesn't bother me if my virtual hoard vanishes one day. And, yes, if you could create some cheap silver coins or lucky charms or something that I could buy to bet on Bryk, I'd appreciate it. The urgency level is certainly low, however, so don't lose any sleep over it. :)
Tinker

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:09 pm

Pearls and silver bars have been added to the shop. Also, despite it not being finished yet, I've added a tab to the Lobby called "My WoK" This already links to the shop and will hopefully also go to a gambling booth, your profile and anything else not directly game related but adding to the character of the place.

Chris.

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:12 pm

The current description for buying a pearl is causing a DB error (due to the apostrophe, I believe).

-Bryk

Dragonette
Commander
Commander

Post by Dragonette » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:44 am

hows about silver necklaces and braclets. bronze rings. and for lots of points a platinum and diamond set crown for men. and tiara for women.

dragonette

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:29 am

Good spot, Bryk. I'll get on that. What's the code for an apostrophe, anyone?

:computer: :book: :computer:

Chris.

Aussie Gaz

Post by Aussie Gaz » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:56 pm

Han

I will place 1 Silver bar on Duke to win.

:)

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:07 pm

How does it feel to be the underdog Bryk? 8) Where is Underdog btw??
First one here, last one to leave.

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:37 pm

Duke wrote:How does it feel to be the underdog Bryk?
Like it normally does. :P

Not sure how "even odds" makes me the underdog, but then again I don't have one of those shiney northern European edumacations. Must be some kinda new math that I wouldn't be able to understand anyway. ;)

I'm hoping to have my orders in by tonight. Then we can flail at each other and talk more smack.

Cheers,
-Bryk

Tinker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tinker » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:06 pm

And I'll balance that with a silver bar for Brykovian.
Tinker

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bjorn » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:19 am

Oh No! Not the Bourse again! Didn't someone try this some years ago?

Anyway, with Duke in the match I have to bet on him. The Knights of Valn Ohtar stick together. All I have to bet is a small pearl, so I'll bet it on Duke if there are any takers. No, not (Under)Taker. :roll:

I probably have enough points to buy another couple of Pearls, so if anyone else wants to make a (very) small wager, let me know.

BTW, is there a way to sell stuff back to the shop to purchase more expensive stuff?
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Duke

Post by Duke » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:58 am

What shiny north european math education? I graduated High School in Erie,PA and took Geometry that 12th year.

Evens up the odds a bit perhaps?
First one here, last one to leave.

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:31 am

Bjorn wrote: BTW, is there a way to sell stuff back to the shop to purchase more expensive stuff?
Go to the "My WoK" tab in the lobby, click on shop and you should get both the items available to sell and your items to sell back.

Eventually sell back will be at a lower rate than buying, - to make bigger items a better investment. But for now you sell them at the same price you buy them.

Chris.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:50 pm

Right, I accept all those bets:
Aussie G 1 silver bar on Duke.
Tinker 1 silver bar on Bryk.
Bjorn 1 tiny pearl on Duke, just to show support.

I'll take up to 2 more bets before the off, ie before T1 runs.

Great, there are now 6 people with something at stake in this Duel! Duke, Bryk, "no pressure then"! Love it. :D

H