Duel-Lite Knock-Out for current champ

Talk about the two player Standard WoK variant

Moderators: trewqh, korexus, Hannibal

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:04 pm

Looks about right to me now.

If Han hadn't wanted coloured OOPs, this would never have happened...

*mutter, mutter, mutter.*

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:06 pm

I won the bid, I guess this means I'll win the final as well. :twisted:

This is going to be a good one!
korexus wrote:If Han and other players hadn't wanted coloured OOPs, which was a brilliant idea, this would never have happened...
:roll: Is that what you meant?

OTOH, I wouldn't like to see equal POP in starting provs either.
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:54 am

Right, I see that Kor has kindly fixed the OOP-edit-glitch, so you really are off and running now, as fast or slow as either of you likes, feel free to press Ready.

I've also manually subtracted the bid-Pop from trewqh's two start-provs.

I was wondering whether to publish the two bids or not. My view had always been that I would, but somebody somewhere posted that they thought they should stay hidden. Hmm.

I've decided that the norm is to publish them after the bids are decided:
Trewqh bid 30Pop (from each of his start-provs) to start with Lt Blue/Lt Green, and Aussie Gaz bid 20Pop for the same preference. So Trewqh gets Lt Blue/Lt Green, and loses 2X30 Pop, while AG gets Orange/Violet, and loses no Pop. (You only pay Pop for successful bids).

So, in theory, it's now even, according to what the players thought were the relative advantages of the two positions.

Yep, I decided publishing was better than hiding the bids (who WAS it who objected?). Firstly, the two players are interested to know how it went; they won't care very much later, after the game is over, if I oinly publish the bids then.

But, secondly, it seems to me that it's FAIRER to publish. After all, the successful-bidder knows, from the POP-file, what start-pops the losing-bidder has, as he paid nothing (unless they bid for opposite sides, but that has to be a minority). So, IMHO, the losing-bidder should equally know what start-pops the successful-bidder has, for fairness. But mainly, it's interesting to hear how the bidding went, while it's still a fresh issue!

H
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Aussie Gaz

Post by Aussie Gaz » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:58 pm

It was me that suggested keeping the bids secret (bit late now).

It don't matter.

Should be interesting.

:)

Aussie Gaz

Post by Aussie Gaz » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:36 am

korexus/Hannibal

Problem on turn 1 with the robo's again.

Also had problems with my attacks running into a home province (caused by the above error I'm sure).

Gaz

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:24 pm

CONGRATS TO AUSSIE GAZ, THE FIRST DUEL-LITE CHAMPION, the only player Undefeated at Duel-Lite!

He just beat Trewqh in the Grand Final.

See in Running Games, GM Han Duel-Lite #44 Grand Final for details.

Now, what next for Duel-Lite? It's a neat game. Only two colours to command, but lots of complex strategy. It needs different strategies from Full Duel (eg see how Vortan stole a victory at Duel-Lite from a winning Saladin a while back). Only 2 colours, AND tends to be over sooner, in this case in 5 turns before one conceded ...

Shall we wait for Duke's great Full Duel tourney to be over? That might take a year .... No, I'll wait for that tourney to be well underway, and for some Standard games to get played, and then I'll create another mini-tournament at Duel-Lite, to challenge Aussie Gaz for his crown. Probably 3- 6 months from now. So, meanwhile, Duel-Lite goes into friendlies mode, just challenge each other for the odd game, no structure for a while.

Well done, AG.

Hannibal
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Aussie Gaz

Post by Aussie Gaz » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:00 am

Thanks to Trewqh for a hard fought battle.

Thanks to Hannibal for setting it all up.

My plan worked out pretty much as I hoped it would. I just had to keep my orange side alive while the violets ran riot in the east.

:D