Duel-Lite Knock-Out for current champ

Talk about the two player Standard WoK variant

Moderators: trewqh, korexus, Hannibal

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Duel-Lite Knock-Out for current champ

Post by Hannibal » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:32 am

I looked at the current standings in Duel-Lite games, and it's crying out for a shoot-out between those of you who are on 100%. Sounds like great fun?!

It is currently reported as (see trewqh's sticky if you want details of games):

# | Player name | played | won | lost | won/played | won-lost
---------------------------------------------------------------
1. | trewqh | 1 | 1 | 0 | 100% | 1
2. | korexus | 1 | 1 | 0 | 100% | 1
3. | Tigress | 1 | 1 | 0 | 100% | 1
4. | Tbert | 1 | 1 | 0 | 100% | 1
5. | Aussie Gaz | 1 | 1 | 0 | 100% | 1
6. | Saladin | 3 | 2 | 1 | 66% | 1
7. | Hryllantre | 4 | 2 | 2 | 50% | 0
8. | Vortan | 7 | 3 | 4 | 43% | -1
9. | Hannibal | 3 | 1 | 2 | 33% | -1
10. | Dragonette | 4 | 0 | 4 | 0% | -4

Last update 2007/07/25

Currently running games:
GM_Wilfred The Eye - Yondallus vs Korexus

Now, that in-progress game has just finished, korexus conceding to Yondallus. So I'll take that into account. Still 5 players on 1 out of 1, 100%. But Tigress has quit WOK, leaving a perfect 4 for a knockout.

Who against whom?

Well, in standard fashion, it ought to be 1st v 4th, and 2nd v 3rd, the respective winners in the final. So, one, and only one of the 4, is bound to emerge with a 100% record of played 3, won 3. Hats off.

So who lies currently 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th? When they all have 1 win out of 1.

I reckon, for this and for the future of trewqh's table-updates, any level-scores in terms of % ought to be decided as follows:
1) First take into account any head-to-heads; if one is ahead, they must take the higher place between the two.
2) Then take into account the number of games played. 100% from 2 games beats 100% from 1 game in the standings. Etc.
3) Then take into account recency. The one reaching that score % (whether going up to that % or down to that %) most recently goes higher. Contentious, I know, but it means that currently active players end up higher than defunct players on the same %. Otherwise quit Tigress might hold top spot forever as the first to get to 100% and stay at 100%...
4) Once we reach the point where 5 players have played 3 or more games, then whatever your % after one game, you can only come the highest among those who have only played one game, ie you can be 100% after 1 game, but can only come above those who have also played only one game.
5) Ditto, once we reach the point where 10 players have played 4 or more games, then there is a limit to how high you can be placed if you have only played 1 or 2 games. If you have played only 1 game, your max is one place higher than the next-best who only played one game; if you have played 2 games, your max is one place higher than the next-best who only played 2 games.
6) And likewise ad infinitum. Eg once 15 players have played 5 or more games, then anyone only having played 3 games can only come top above others who have only played 3. The scoreboard will still show the percentage, but it means that someone with 3 out of 3 will not take the league-top-spot from someone who has won 6 out of 7.

So, how does that shake out 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th spots in our current league? After the latest result of Yondallus beating korexus.

The 100%'s are then:
1. Yondallus
2. Aussie Gaz
3. TBert
4. Tigress
5. Trewqh

Tigress is AWOL, and won't stay top on the above rules.

So the shoot-out knock-out ought to be:
Semis:
Yondallus versus trewqh
Aussie Gaz versus TBert
Final:
The winners of each semi. One of them will emerge as played 3, won 3, 100%. Cool. I'd be very happy to GM them.

So, Yon, AG, TBert, trewqh, are you up for this to see who turns out best at Duel-Lite? You've all played 1, won 1, so presumably find it easy ... but which of you would beat the others??

Lemme know.

GM Han
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

TBert
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TBert » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:41 am

I'm in. After wracking my brain in my full duel vs. trewqh, a duel-lite will be welcome.
pro libertate eos occubuisse - "they died for liberty"

Clan Head - Valn Ohtar

SGT - US Army

23-year-old father of 3 - really needs a beer

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:22 am

I would say 2 is more important than 1. Also, I think 4 and 5 are needlessly complicated.
If you want a weighting for games played, use wins / (games + 1) Thus 1 win out of 1 gives a score of 0.5, while 6 games out of 7 gives 0.75. This eliminates the ranking problem and means that people with a 100% record don't have a dissincentive to play - their score can still increase.

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:22 am

Good idea about the shoot-out, Han! The top of the table is too static.

I'm ready to face Yon as soon as he's back and ready to play.

As for the rules:

I agree with kor that the number-of-games-played rule should go before the head-to-head rule. Otherwise we could run into dilemmas. (Take three players each with 50% ratio, A played 6 games, he beat B in one of them, B played 4 games, she beat C in one of them, finally, C played 2 games and beat A in one of them. Who goes first in the table?)

And I think I'll add a column with korexus' weighted rating to the tables and arrange the players according to that one.

Do we need the won-minus-played column if I add the one mentioned above?
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

Aussie Gaz

Post by Aussie Gaz » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:27 am

Bring it on.

Lets see how good my clan leader really is.

If I win he will have to hand back his stripes. (just kidding)

:twisted:

ps POST NUMBER 300 YIPPEE

Yondallus
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Yondallus » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:24 pm

I'd love to play, if you all(or just the one facing me) can wait until I'm back from the holidays.
Lord Yondallus

currently owns:
-a tent
-the last pigeon of the scholars(won in a duel vs Korexus)

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:49 pm

Great!

We'll wait,Yon! :)
trewqh

Aussie Gaz

Post by Aussie Gaz » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:20 pm

Hannibal

In the duel between Tbert & Myself neither the Red nor Yellow robot took a province. (it's only turn 1 so something ain't working right).

Gaz

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:56 pm

Maybe the Robos' Active Provinces need to be set appropriately?
trewqh

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:17 pm

The pages shows that yellow and red's homes are 5 and 60 respectively, while they appear to be occupying 46 and 55. If they've been swapped manually then their orders will be out as will the headhunting options.

Chris.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:19 pm

Right, I've corrected Kor's corrections, and I reckon between us we are there. I reckon both semis are now correctly set up and ready to play on.

As I've said, I think it would be fun to watch the two identically-started semis unfold in parallel, only ever 1 turn apart, regardless of which game does the next turn first (on the hour-mark after both players press Ready, not waiting for the GM to run it).

We are waiting for Yondallus to return from hol, and reply as to likely timing. It was 13 days ago that Yond posted "...if you'll wait for my return from hol". So I'm guessing he is back this coming weekend and will get orders in and/or be in touch on likely timing.

There's nothing to stop the other 3 players from devising orders, even inputting them. And trewqh can press Ready, waiting for Yond to do the same. But (ideally from my POV), AG and TB can devise and enter orders but preferably NOT press on Ready until they see that the trew/Yond semi has run its Turn 1 and caught up.

GM Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:18 pm

Not sure how worth while it is to try and keep the games together. Even with the same starting provinces, different OOPs will change the game play from the start. Note: I am not suggesting you keep the OOPs the same for both games. Even then, the two would look pretty different after a couple of turns, so there wouldn't be much comparison available...

You may as well let the players who are ready have their fun. IMHO.

korexus.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:48 pm

OK, I'm persuaded. I had been hoping Yond wd have returned by now, or at least given us a likely timing by now. But that could drag on.

So, Kor's right, AG and TB, feel free to play on, hope you find it fun.

GM Han

Yondallus
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Yondallus » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:58 am

I'm back! and I'll take a good look at the game when I've completely unpacked(which could take a while)
Lord Yondallus

currently owns:
-a tent

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:01 pm

I'm ready! :twisted:
trewqh

Yondallus
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Yondallus » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:49 pm

after some serious tactical plotting, I decided to take a look at my turn report and noticed it said I own provinces 5 and 38. So either the map is wrong or my Turn Reports are. Or am I missing something here?
Lord Yondallus

currently owns:
-a tent

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:08 pm

Catching up on this, I see that you managed to get through Turn 1 without me, by following what Kor said, ie trust the map over the TR. From now on, they ought to coincide .... Enjoy!

Aussie Gaz

Post by Aussie Gaz » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:23 pm

Han

Check out the game between Tbert & myself.

TBert has conceeded.

Looking forward to the next game.

AG

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:35 pm

Aussie Gaz, congrats on your semi-final win. You seem to be a bit of a natural at Duels. I pity the player who meets you in the final. Except: it's either trewqh, or Yondallus if he beats trewqh, so, either way, you might face very strong competition in the final ..., you vs Yondallus or you vs trewqh.

You won your semi very quickly, after T3. Yep, Duel-Lite can be short and brutal (which makes all of the first 3 turns VERY exciting, no?). In the other semi-final, Yond vs trewqh, it is more even after 3 turns and could go either way in the end. One of them is hoping to face you in the Final... And maybe the other plays TBert for the Bronze ... Then I'd like to challenge the bronze-winner, for the right to challenge whoever lost in your final, for the right to challenge the champ ...! This is like Wimbledon used to be decades ago - the champ didn't start in round 1 next year, he just let the others compete for who would challenge him in the next Final.

So long as it's fun.

Cheers,
Han

Han

Aussie Gaz

Post by Aussie Gaz » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:48 am

Trewqh

Hurry up with your orders.

I'm watching your duel with Yondallus with great interest.

:)