Tbert versus trewqh - looking for a GM

Talk about the two player Standard WoK variant

Moderators: trewqh, korexus, Hannibal

trewqh

Tbert versus trewqh - looking for a GM

Post by trewqh » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:26 pm

Is there a GM who could set up a Duel for Tbert and me?

We're not sure whether it's going to be Full or Lite and what map, but we'll surely face eachother on the weekend.
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:03 am

Well, it's the weekend now, so I volunteer to GM the Duel for you guys. Great.

Tell me what map you agree on, and whether Full Duel or Duel-Lite, and I'll set it up quickly - I'm intrigued to watch it!

Also: tell me whether you want to accept whatever mapstarting-positions I come up with as GM, trying to make it both fair and interesting, or whether you would like a first-stage of bidding for which side you take after seeing the two start-positions. I'd certainly TRY to generate an equal start, but that's never perfect, and you might prefer the option to bid for one side or the other. It depends whether you would regard the bidding phase as ensuring a fair start, and a fun phase in itself, or else a waste of time and a chore. Up to you, I'm happy either way.

Here are the rules on bidding if you choose to use them:

GM Han

BIDDING FOR SIDES

If it’s ever vital for the GM to ensure that both players feel they got off to an equal start, eg a Championship (or maybe a grudge-match?) :

1) There is a bidding mechanism. Each human looks at the published start-map, decides which of the two human sides they would rather start with, and bids for which side they want.

2) Each of the two humans puts in a secret bid to the GM for whichever side they want to start as (we can change the names/slots over). The bid is for how many Population they would be prepared to sacrifice from their two or three start-provs, in order to start with the side they prefer. A bid of 39 Pop means they would be prepared to lose 39 Pop from EACH of their start-provs, before Turn 1 runs. The higher bidder gets the side they bid for, and loses that Pop, adjusted by the GM manually. The lower-bidder gets the other side, but loses no penalty, no Pop. That equalises the two sides according to how much each was prepared to “pay” for the side they thought had a starting advantage. Perfectly fair. And fun in its own right! But maybe only worth it for big matches. If they bid for opposite sides, then they get them, no population penalty. They ARE told what each other bid (they’re intrigued to know).
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:23 am

I like the bidding, but I'll let Tbert decide. I haven't heard from him since his PM in which he accepted my challange.
trewqh

TBert
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TBert » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:20 pm

Full-duel would be preferred.

For a map.... how about... Feudal?

I don't know about the bidding, I think I'd prefer the usual way. And besides... if I manage to win despite a worse starting position... more bragging rights :D
pro libertate eos occubuisse - "they died for liberty"

Clan Head - Valn Ohtar

SGT - US Army

23-year-old father of 3 - really needs a beer

TBert
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TBert » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:30 pm

Heading out to a friend's 21st birthday party, so I'll be out for the next 18 hours or so... but I'm sitting in front of my comp all day tomorrow, so let's get this started :)
pro libertate eos occubuisse - "they died for liberty"

Clan Head - Valn Ohtar

SGT - US Army

23-year-old father of 3 - really needs a beer

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:27 am

Yay!

Great map, great setup!

This one's going to be interesting! :D
trewqh