Hans Water Crossing v VORTAN?

Talk about the two player Standard WoK variant

Moderators: trewqh, korexus, Hannibal

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:46 pm

Saladin wrote:I don't really like the forced naps in the full duel. I feels just like an artificial change to add a bit more strategy to the game (which it already has plenty).
'A bit more'? I'd say a lot more with all the cutting off and letting through you can apply thanks to the NAPs. Without those NAPs it would simply be a steam rolling bloodbath. That's why I think the NAPs add depth and complexity and, consequently, fun.
Saladin wrote:Plus it leads to mistakes being made as people forget or misinterpret the rules which substracts from the fun.
It's true that player make this kind of mistakes. Still, Full Duel is supposed to be the more complicated and difficult variant, which makes it more fun if you ask me.

So, are we going to play this Suburban Mayhem Duel of ours or not?

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:12 pm

trewqh wrote:So, are we going to play this Suburban Mayhem Duel of ours or not?
Hmm...let's not and say we did. :peace:

Maybe Korexus or Hannibal could delete me from the Suburban Mayhem game, thanks in advance for that!
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:13 pm

Or you could simply concede as you don't stand a chance anyway. 8)

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:17 pm

Now Sal, how can you resist a challenge like that .. have you no honour man? No pride? :P
Now WHY did it do THAT!

If at first you don't succeed - give up and have a coffee!

Yes I am on the transplant list for a new sense of humour!

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:19 pm

Ok, if you prefer then i concede.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:22 pm

:shock: I'll take that as a NO then shall I? :P
Now WHY did it do THAT!

If at first you don't succeed - give up and have a coffee!

Yes I am on the transplant list for a new sense of humour!

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:28 pm

Saladin wrote:i concede.
:evil: Less fun that way, but I'll gladly include that in the standings.

There should be a vote in your TRs. Voting should finish the game and remove it from the Lobby.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:31 pm

I'm sure you will be very happy with claiming points for a game not played...congratulations.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:36 pm

Sure. You decided not to give me the opportunity to revel in the sight of your armies being stomped into the ground by my forces then that's all I have left. :P

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:49 pm

Tweeg, 3 more results for you to incorporate in your high score list. Vortan and i agreed to play in 3 more games, sadly i don't have the time so i concede those 3 games to Vortan. Could you please add them to the high score list as well. Thanks.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:52 pm

As soon as you point me to the game pages.

Are you having a bad day?

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:19 pm

A couple of items I'd like to respond to ...
Hannibal wrote:UNFORTUNATELY, you look at the Houserules that Bryk/GM Matt set up for the Lite game that HE is GM'ing. Not mine.
In fact, every Duel that has ever run has had the 2-turn rule, usually mentioned and then stressed as a reminder in the Houserules. Except for Bryk's. Bryk took an old Houserules set of mine, and crossed oput the bit about 2 turns. His is the only case. As fate would have it, you defaulted to HIS rules, not any that I've written. Unlucky, but hardly my fault ... I wasn't even aware of Bryk's version of my rules. The rules are as I've written in the current, on-offer, Lite game-to-join. It's always been 2 turns ... except for the place you looked.

I've considered your point on 1 versus 2 turns, but I'm not persuaded. As designer and as GM, I choose to stick with 2 turns, as per normal Duel rules and as per my latest Houserules on latest Lite game for sign-up.

I don't want a hiuge debate on the design of Duel. It works. It's worked for 20 games. I'll listen, but on the issue of 1 or 2 turns I've listened and considered and decided. GM's can depart from my standard rules, of course; but as GM in this game I'm sticking to them. I've thought it through a lot.
I completely agree that 2 turns of no headhunting in Duel games works quite well. The reason the Duel-lite I setup for Vortan & Dragonette was setup for 1 was mainly due to it being my first Duel game setting up, and I left the default of "1" in the "turns of safety" GM settings for the game, and didn't know how to un-do that. So, I altered the house rules to match, not knowing that the engine itself would enforce the 2 turns. So, it was a technical/administrative glitch, which I don't expect I'll make again.

But, as Han has said ... 2 turns of safety out of the gate for a Duel game really does improve the game, imo.
Saladin wrote:I don't really like the forced naps in the full duel. I feels just like an artificial change to add a bit more strategy to the game (which it already has plenty).
I think the NAP idea is simply brilliant. Of course it's an "artificial change to add ... more strategy" ... that was its very purpose. Not exactly sure how you separate an "artificial" change from a "natural" change when it comes to designing games (actually, I do understand how some rules "feel natural" and others feel "forced", but still) -- all rules are imposed by the designer. From what Han has said, the intention was to add a bit more to think about, and allow for some additional strategies and tactics to be employed ... and that seems to fit it perfectly.

-Bryk
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:16 pm

I actually like the forced naps in the duel games. I feel it causes a player to be more aggressive. (at least it does for me.)
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.