Duel against Han?

Talk about the two player Standard WoK variant

Moderators: trewqh, korexus, Hannibal

Brykovian

Duel against Han?

Post by Brykovian » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:58 pm

Can someone setup a Duel game so that I can go head-to-head with the mighty Hannibal? :)

(Assuming he's willing. ;))

-Bryk

p.s. I'm pretty open as to maps ... the only ones I really don't like are Caribean and Center Island.
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:24 pm

Great. I'd love to. I'm delighted you liked (full) Duel enough to want to play it again. Game on and good luck. Trewqh/GM Mike has volunteered to GM it, so set us up, Trewqh, pls.

The current "tradition" is that the GM chooses a map, runs Turn 0 possibly several times until he's happy with a start-map (after Turn 0) that is reasonably even and reasonably interesting (eg not having the 4 Robos clustered together all on the edge and irrelevant). And THEN one player gets to choose whether to be G/LB/LG or O/V/Y. I've played Duel more than you, so you get to choose. (There's a mechanism for bidding for which side, but we've never used it yet, it's not that serious.)

Looking forward to it,
Han
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:52 pm

I was wondering...is it possible for a GM to set all starting provinces manually?
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:09 pm

Apparently so. Chris says he has set up the option.

It's not so much in order that a GM can manually create a completely new set-up (harder work than running several T0's and deciding whether to accept or reject each one?), but more in response to my suggestion that it might be great if you could re-run the SAME game, same two players, same start-positions, but swapping sides for the rematch ...

So Chris was looking into making the next OOP also GM-settable, so that the GM can recreate exactly the same start-up, the two players just swapping sides for the rematch ...

Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:51 pm

Oh! This thread did not appear in my 'new posts since last visit'... :?

Sorry, about the delay. I'll set up the game for you in a minute.

I understand we're talking regular Duel game here.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:08 pm

OK. We're ready. I think the setup is very interesting. It might turn out a very quick Duel, but it will surely be intense. :)

As mentioned above, Brykovian gets to choose the side he plays with so treat the current player roster as temporary. (Changing it is not a problem at all, Bryk, in case you want to ask.)

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:12 pm

GMs can set the starting provinces, either as 10 provinces which are randomly allocated to players or individually to each player. The OOP is editable every turn, with the slight down side that the turn reports will not update as they are stored when the turn first runs.

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:50 am

korexus wrote:GMs can set the starting provinces, either as 10 provinces which are randomly allocated to players or individually to each player. The OOP is editable every turn, with the slight down side that the turn reports will not update as they are stored when the turn first runs.

Chris.
That shouldn't be a problem. I can see only 2 uses for the GM being able to edit the OoP :
1) On turn 0 of a switch-sides rematch, so that the GM can repeat the first match's OoP as well as the start-provs,
2) If there needs to be a re-run for some small reason, but you don't want that to wipe and change the first OoP.

In both such cases, the players will be well aware of the issue of the OoP, and happy to go on what the Page says, not their TR.

In a way, that small glitch is good: no rogue GM could edit the OoP without it showing up as a difference between the Page and the TR !

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:53 am

trewqh wrote:
As mentioned above, Brykovian gets to choose the side he plays with so treat the current player roster as temporary. (Changing it is not a problem at all, Bryk, in case you want to ask.)
I assume Bryk knows that he's choosing either Grey/Lt Blue/Lt Green or else Orange/Violet/Yellow. No mixing and matching, because the engine is set up for those 3 against those 3.

Good luck.

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:23 pm

Current setup looks fine to me ... I'll keep the side that I'm shown no right now.

Thanks for getting the game setup, Mike. Have a good game, Han.

-Bryk
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess