4 player duel????

Talk about the two player Standard WoK variant

Moderators: trewqh, korexus, Hannibal

Validon
Veteran
Veteran

4 player duel????

Post by Validon » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:01 am

HOw about a 2 on 2 match? Similar to Duel but each player gets to run two armies and only have two Robos? Any thoughts?

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:10 pm

Korexus, Han and I are currently testing a variant we call Duel-lite. It's supposed to be a more accessible alternative to the intense and demanding Duel.

In Duel-lite both players control two player colours with six Robos also on the map (behaving the same way as in regular Duel), but there are no obligatory NAPs between human colours.

We are trying out an intersting Victory condition - to win in Duel-lite you have to either eliminate both of you opponent's colours OR eliminate two Robos. :shock: This ensures that a game of Duel-lite will be far from predictable since opponents don't know each other's goals. :)

You check out the test game here:
http://www.kaomaris.com/phpNuke/modules ... 286#action

So if you could remind about your idea in a month or so, Val, we might be able to convince korexus to start working on it. :)

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:31 pm

Is it also possible to just have a 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 duel without any robo players?

I think that would make a duel game more accessible as also keeping track of all the robo players takes a lot of time.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:35 pm

I think it is possible, but that would take away half the fun in my opinion. :)

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:37 pm

Ooh! What i forgot to add was. Would it be possible to have smaller maps for this? A nice two on two with no robo players on a 40 province map. Is that doable with the automated engine?
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:42 pm

It is doable, but it would need additional coding, I presume. Don't you have the php skills to code it yourself if you got a copy of the game engine?

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:48 pm

Sadly no. No php skills. :(

How about just darkening in 20 provinces and telling the players they can't go there. That would be an easy way of implementing it right?

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:52 pm

With no Robos to break the agreement I think that's possible. But I don't know how the provinces could be darkened, because maps are generated automatically whenever someone opens a page. They are not stored as images, which someone could manually colour.

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:10 pm

Just make a 40 province map and an ini with no neighbours for provinces 41 to 60. Easy.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability