Duel #05 Suburbia - Game In Progress

Talk about the two player Standard WoK variant

Moderators: trewqh, korexus, Hannibal

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:23 am

You'd think that going to the person that wrote the script for the roboplayers with a simple question would yield a correct answer...

Way to give bad info :P

You're just lucky that I didn't try and take the other adjacent province...
The scars remind us that the past is real.

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:02 am

I answered with what the Robos would do. Then went and checked what they should do and changed the algorithm accordingly. It wouldn't have affected your game anyway as the headhunting rule only affects home provinces...

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:41 pm

Look again :P
The scars remind us that the past is real.

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:57 pm

Oops. Before updating the engine, I checked that none of the robos were heading for a player home province so that the updates wouldn't affect the game. I didn't check to see if the robos would be heading for a robo home...

Since I told you different to what's now going to happen, I can roll back the engine for a turn if you want. It won't make any other difference...

Chris.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:53 pm

Y'know, I just read this thread ... and am glad I'm not implicated. Phew. It was my burglars that did it ....
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:52 pm

Turn 7

Heh, as I read the rules, Hryll just lost... to himself!

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:16 pm

Yep, he kinda did. I snook round the back and took out all the other Brown provs, so that, accidentally, when Hryll's Reds took the front Brown prov to stand there in defence, yep, he was taking the last Brown prov in existence, thus RIPing his own Brown.

But that's no reflection on Hryll or on his Turn 7 orders - that was about the only way his Reds could TRY to help out his Browns. And then my Blues took that prov off him anyway, and would have taken it whether he took it first or not, so no difference.

Yes, it's fun to note that he ended up Ripping Browns himself, but TECHNICALLY he didn't lose the game at that point ... the rules say that the game is over at the END of a turn when one player is down to one colour, so he lost on the final outcome of the turn, not on one attack.

And I reckon it shows that the Victory Condition for Duel (Opponent down to one colour) is right. I doubt if Hryll or I would want to bother putting in orders to fight it to the death (lost all provs), so it's good that it ends when down to one colour rather than playing it out.

It was fun! And Hryll had me on the run and outguessed me for two turns.

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:42 pm

Hannibal wrote: And I reckon it shows that the Victory Condition for Duel (Opponent down to one colour) is right. I doubt if Hryll or I would want to bother putting in orders to fight it to the death (lost all provs), so it's good that it ends when down to one colour rather than playing it out.
And I still say that without the victory condition, Hryll could resign at this point if he wanted but that it's quite easy to have a player still in the game but lose throught this condition.

Consider our game. My browns beat your blues, your yellows beat my reds, our other two continue to jump on their own swords more than each other's. At the end of some turn, it'll come down to a 2 on 1, but one of the 2 is likely to be only couple of provinces with few resources. So it won't be a particularly satisfying end.

Most Standard games end with a vote or surrender, not in annihilation of the opposition...

korexus.

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hryllantre » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:33 pm

The victory conditions in DUEL are right as it's a 1 on 1 battle of wits as much as anything else.

This loss and my loss against trewqh has given me invaluable WoK experience which obviously I was in great need of.

Good game and well done Hannibal

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:32 am

Thanks, Hryll. You sure gave me a run for my money.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:00 pm

korexus wrote:
Consider our game. My browns beat your blues, your yellows beat my reds, our other two continue to jump on their own swords more than each other's. At the end of some turn, it'll come down to a 2 on 1, but one of the 2 is likely to be only couple of provinces with few resources. So it won't be a particularly satisfying end.

korexus.
Really? Well I sure hadn't myself seen our game (Duel #08 ) shaping up like that! I guess we'll see. In fact, my orders are now in, so the turn should run in *looks at clock* about two minutes!

OK, just for you, as we're about even after Turn 3, and ahead of Turn 4 running, we'll play this one out to total defeat of the other player, OK? But then Duels are once again "till down to one colour", OK?