a monkey wearing a nappy
No votes

Total votes: 0

Eagle_Eyes
Recruit
Recruit

want a duel

Post by Eagle_Eyes » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:32 pm

i signed up for GM chris wok duel ages ago sent in my orders and was ment to be fighting hannibal but the game never got under way i was woundering if there was any way another gm would run this game or if they would start another game as i would really like a go at something like this
cheers Eagle Eyes

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:12 pm

I never started the game as Hannibal said he was going away and I didn't think a game in which the only other player goes M-3 would be very interesting...

I thought you had been included in the email Han sent about this, otherwise I would have told you.

As Eagle Eyes would still like to play, if another player wants to take Han's place I can set that up. (I could re-run turn 0 too, if necessary.)

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Re: want a duel

Post by Hannibal » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:24 pm

Eagle_Eyes wrote:i signed up for GM chris wok duel ages ago sent in my orders and was ment to be fighting hannibal but the game never got under way i was woundering if there was any way another gm would run this game or if they would start another game as i would really like a go at something like this
cheers Eagle Eyes
Hi Eagle Eyes and everyone,

I just checked in and found this thread of 3 or 4 weeks ago? WHAT??!! Someone wants to play Duel and I never knew?! Yep, of course I wanna play.

Communication fell through the slats? Hey, EE, did you never get my emails about starting up our game? Or just not reply? I looked back, and my mail to you in May was:

----- Original Message -----
To: john rowan
Cc: Korexus ; Trewqh
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2006 5:24 PM
Subject: Re: WOK DUEL

Hi EE,

I've left you hanging for too long. Sorry. I got your second application. The other guy (new) who applied is now no-answer. So I'd be happy to play you myself at Duel, OK? Korexus has volunteered to GM it, send out the starting map.

You still wanna play?

Given that I've played it before (once) and have that advantage, you can choose which side you take once the starting map is out, OK? Kor will issue a map, with one of us Yellow/Light Green/ Light Blue, and the other Brown/Orange/Red, with the OOP showing.... Normally we have to "bid" for which side, or else either can veto the map aqnd ask for a new one. But since I've played and you haven't, I'll let you either accept the first map, or else swap sides for it if you think yours was a worse start position and you'd rather have my start-position. One word on strategy: I think we've all figured out that it's well worth trying to knock the other guy down to two colours if you can; whatever the scores, three is better than two ....

Wanna play? Reply to all (me and Korexus).

Cheers,
Han

And I chased you with:

----- Original Message -----
To: john rowan
Cc: Chris Fitzsimons
Sent: Saturday, May 13, 2006 8:52 PM
Subject: Fw: WOK DUEL #02 Skandinavia

Hey there Eagle Eyes/ John,

Just checking that I didn't send to wrong address. Did you get this mail from me a few days ago?

Still wanna play? Or not? First step is for you to choose a side. Then we can both take days to put in first orders ....

Good luck,

Han

Hmm, from my POV I got no reply, nothing happening, no game. D'you mean you replied to Korexus and even put in orders, but nobody told me you'd replied? So it goes. I thought you'd never replied to the mail nor to the chase-up.

HEY, A GAME!

Well, the game is up there on the board, ready for Turn 01. I had no idea you had submitted orders.

OK, are you still on for this game??! I'd be delighted to play, I really like the play of DUEL (I guess I would).

OK, EE, pls reply here, or to my email address, or both, to say we're on, and I'll put in MY orders and we can get going. So long as Korexus says he'll GM it (or else Kor does a bit of coding so that the turn runs auto-GM as soon as both players have put orders in).

Hey, I'm keen to play WOK again, especially DUEL. I've meanwhile played elsewhere but WOK is still about the best play-by-web that there is!!

Cheers,
Han
Last edited by Hannibal on Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:42 pm

By the way, EE, in the last game of beta-testing, Trewqh had me beat all ends up till I got lucky with a long-shot and turned the tables. So I'm definitely beatable. Though you might wanna ask Trewqh for tips on how to get ahead in the first place; he was very good at that and probably deserved to win.

Hmmm. I did write up that beta-test-game, as a sort of primer for people about to try DUEL, but never got round to editing it or posting or publishing it. It shows, through one game, how Trewqh got ahead and then what happened.

If anyone is gonna play DUEL, maybe I should dig it out, finish it, and put it up to view. Or not. Or just mail it to Trewqh, Korexus (fellow-developers of it) and you (player). To avoid snide remarks from non-players? Put it in a long post? Or post it elsewhere as a link? Korexus? Or not bother?

Hey, how come Trewq didn't take up Saladin's challenge to play him at it? (I'd have loved to see that, about equal). And TK didn't take up my challenge to play me at it in the simple nursery of WOK4 !!

I'll be delighted to win or lose, I'd like to see it played.

Cheers,
Rob

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:16 pm

Pushing a button isn't hard, I can do that easily enough. Unfortunately I have a job now and so less time than ever for coding stuff. :(

As for a guide, I'm sure I can get in online and link to it...

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:58 pm

Yay! Duel#02 is underway, Hannibal vs Eagle Eyes. Ouch. Round One to Eagle Eyes. We both went for neutral #13; he got there first and I bounced off - by one army. So it goes. There's a long way to go ...

Now, those naps mean we're restricted to what we can do ....

Han
Last edited by Hannibal on Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eagle_Eyes
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Eagle_Eyes » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:02 am

that was a good first found for me but there is still a long way to go i hate these rodo colours i think they are going to piss me off

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:47 am

Yep, those Robos are secretly on my side, I'm relying on them to come to my rescue! Mind you, it sure doesn't look like that at the start, cos my Yellow is being seriously squeezed and restricted by two of the b*****s.

EE, they're kinda "moving terrain features" we have to work round, offering more variety and complexity. At least they are 100% predictable, to take them into account. As a rule of thumb, they are just too powerful to take on in the first few rounds, just get out of their way. But they never ever replenish their EFF, so their EFF declines sharply. So at some point they become easier to beat than the neutrals, which get stronger as the game goes on. And, you'll have noticed, they attack out with ALL armies, and then MOVE 5 armies back ... so for just a moment, OOP permitting, the prov they attacked out of is vulnerable ... They've added fun and options in previous beta-tests. As well as being a pain, you're right.

Anyway, you happy to play on and we both put in orders before the deadline?

And thanks for giving it a try.

Eagle_Eyes
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Eagle_Eyes » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:59 am

i think you can say goodbye your B player this turn he is outahere i think this is a good idea for a game if only i had worked out what the rodos were doing i would be in a much stronger position

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:53 am

Eagle_Eyes wrote:i think you can say goodbye your B player this turn he is outahere i think this is a good idea for a game if only i had worked out what the rodos were doing i would be in a much stronger position
Haha! As I said, the Robos are on my side and might yet rescue me from your onslaught. Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have disguised that so much by having them all come and crush me at the start ...

My orders are in now. I guess yours are. Don't write off my Han B Light Greens just yet ... I'm mounting a rescue! Well, a try at least ...

Great fun.

Han

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:16 pm

EE, did you get my mail? - I don't want to hold this turn up much longer... :?

Chris.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:04 pm

Aha! Turn #2 has run, has it? Time to go see whether the fighting went your way, Eagle, as it did in Turn #1, or whether I came back atya ...

Three Turn Reportss to go through - great!

I'm expecting they'll tell me of a big battle in #43 ...?

Han