Duel now open for any players

Talk about the two player Standard WoK variant

Moderators: trewqh, korexus, Hannibal

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Duel now open for any players

Post by Hannibal » Sat May 06, 2006 3:32 pm

We've done enough beta-testing now ... and the game works fine. So it's open to anyone (any two) to play. But probably only if you've played the normal 10-player version first.

To recap, it's for two players, each of which plays three colours on a full-size map, while the remaining four colours are taken by Robo-players playing predictably. There's a lot of strategy and plenty of tactics, but no diplomacy at all.

See the houserules for Duel #02.

Han
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

TK
Trooper
Trooper

Post by TK » Tue May 16, 2006 7:00 pm

Where is the challenge in only defeating ONE opponent? 8)

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hryllantre » Tue May 16, 2006 7:15 pm

You mean it's possible to defeat 9!?!

Noone told me that, surely that's impossible... :shock:

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue May 16, 2006 7:50 pm

TK wrote:Where is the challenge in only defeating ONE opponent? 8)
Well, the extra options for each player certainly make it a bit more fun to think through your turns. Why don't you sign up for a game and show us how it's done? :)

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed May 17, 2006 12:02 pm

Wok: Duel, now this looks like something worth coming out of hiding for. :D

Any chance of a new Wok: Duel game opening i would like a chance to take on Tweeg and see if we can spoil his unbeaten record. :P

Thanks in advance.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Thu May 18, 2006 10:28 am

TK wrote:Where is the challenge in only defeating ONE opponent? 8)
Hey, nice to see some interest! Especially from past players, eg PS (Patroni Sing, aka Thin King), and Sulleyed In (aka Saladin). Especially since I don't think those two guys get on perfectly .... Saladin said something about taking on Tweeg ... enlighten us ... who's Tweeg?

Back to PS's teasing post: Hmm. PS, have you ever heard of Chess, or Backgammon, or Wei-Chi? Or indeed Tennis, Snooker or Gladiatorial Combat in the Colosseum? I know you were kidding, don't worry, but I'm rising to it for fun. You characterised Standard Wok as the nursery area (you're wrong, as I hope Sall will agree), and vaunted Advanced Wok as the "real thing", but then went on to say that nobody other than you has sussed out the arcane rules of Advanced Wok, so you keep on winning! No wonder! People like Saladin and I find those rules either impenetrable, or badly written (me), and/or. ....er ... a tad boring! OJK, so you are the only freak who sussed out the rules properly! No real competition. Tcha. It still says little for your skill at Wok, IMHO. Might be good, might be bad, we'll see!

Hmm, glad that Duel brought you posting-wise out of your mere watcher-persona. You're right. It's quite a challenge. Assuming that you play someone who is good at Standard Wok, you'll find yourself faced with a far stronger challenge than you ever did in Advanced Wok!! Because Advanced Wok was basically a matter of who the hell understood the rules and tribes best (and had patience for econo-management), so no wonder you kept winning! Duel is based on simpler rules (Standard Wok) but far more skill, one-on--one, because both players are equal on knowledge of rules, which are less impenetrable ....You only won at Advanced Wok every time because the rules favoured the COD player, and several of us worthy opponents (eg Saladin) just didn't fancy the game!!

Duel is a lot harder test of skill. For one thing, you can't get lucky by nearby players missing a turn or going M-3 and quit! You wait till both have put in orders. You gotta fight rather than just outlast ..... To Sal's credit, he once said he'd be happy with a game that rewarded aggressive skill that he could play to, but Wok wasn't it, so he played the percentages and always went Sleeper ... ( I think I woke him up by defeating him as a newbie on the aggressive route) but he's therefore been a losing-interest player ..... pity, as he is very good at Standard Wok, probably just finding it repetitive (as TK does, and as Duke does). Hey, you jaded players who find yourselves playing out the same scenario for the 20th time .... just try Duel and you'll find it a real challenge!!

OK, PS, you think you never lose? And Standard Wok is a nursery? Tcha! I challenge you at Duel, a game of fairly simple rules but huge strategy and tactics.

Saladin, I hope you'll renew your interest by playing someone at Duel (you could even be the BEST at it ....), but I still don't want to play you myself (You were such an unsporting bad loser the 2 times I beat you at Standard Wok that it would be unpleasant....). bUT it is A HUGELY skilful game that you could bend yourself to and maybe be the best at, so play someone at it (this "Tweeg"?). But pls play sportingly, OK? None of your resentment if someone bests you?

SUMMARY: Duel has come through its Beta-testing. It's a sideline for when you don't have 10 players for Wok. Simple rules, rich on stratyegy and tactics, a bit like Chess. But highly skilful.

I challenge PS (Thin King) to a game of Duel, to test PS's arrogance; and urge Saladin to play someone at it. My money is on Saladin ... till we meet again!

But I'm away for 2-3 weeks from now.

Cheers,
Han
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu May 18, 2006 11:33 am

Tweeg is trewqh of course. I remember seeing a picture from trewqh and he reminded me of Tweeg from the cartoon 'the adventures of Teddy Ruxpin'. :D

Anyway Trewqh if you're up for it, i'd like to try a Wok: Duel against you. :D
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu May 18, 2006 4:26 pm

Saladin wrote: Tweeg from the cartoon 'the adventures of Teddy Ruxpin'.D
Now thta was an awesome cartoon. :-D

I particularly liked the cannon balls marked 'return to tweeg' because he kept missing...
With Great Power comes Great Irritability