Standard Wok: 2-player "Duel" !!

Talk about the two player Standard WoK variant

Moderators: trewqh, korexus, Hannibal

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:33 pm

Yep, you are right and I was wrong. I meant 0.005 Lev produced per ONE worker, not per 4 workers, ie back to the old way. Sorry. I'm not so opposed to the sleeping option that I would kill it entirely, but you weren't to know that. My aim is to keep it a viable option, not an odds-on favourite, and in particular keep it as a short-term possibility anyway ....hence setting limits of 100 workers and 100 armies per prov. Otherwise nobody would or should ever set an aim to Lev, which would be a waste of an option.

Anyway, when I ran the second start-map, I had the chance to set it to 0.005, so I did so, so no need to trouble you. Sorry for the waste of your WOK-time!.

Cheers,
Han
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:16 pm

Hryllantre wrote:Im reading these posts but atm im just not following them :(

Give it time gentlemen

trewqh has the slender advantage in that province 29 (trewqhB) follows prov 26 (kor C), trewqhB is OOP 10th and therefore can stifle out kor C's movement and potentially gain cheap land... All other provinces have the potential to avoid the A1's or opponents...

Thats my opinion
Good point, H., and thanks for chipping in. But TrewC has Robogreen coming for his start-prov #53 at start of Turn 2, and then on towards 51-48-45, a problem Kor doesn't have ...? And Robogrey cramps TrewB more than KorC ? So, odds could be about equal, is my take. Will be interesting to see!

Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:56 pm

Yes... I believe I could RIP korC on turn 2 :twisted:

Btw, I think that might be the most popular thread about a game that hasn't even started ever :)

trewqh

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:31 am

I don't know about "popular". It's mainly the 3 of us debating this new WoK variant, but doing it out in the open so that others can follow it or chip in if they want to.

Han

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:54 am

You're right, I ment longest. :)

t.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:12 pm

For any watcher(s):

Behind the scenes, Trewqh, Korexus and I agreed my suggestion to go for a third start-map, using a "fatter" map rather than one with long thin runs. Suits the game-variant's properties better. We chose "Original". Now started, should be fun to watch!

Han

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:24 pm

And how about headhunting Bots?

I guess it's a no-no since this may give an unfair advantage to the player who got a lucky position on the map next to a Bot and is later in the OoP than the Bot.

trewqh

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:21 pm

That's one I'd thought of. The last para of the HouseRules already says: ""On Turn 01, no attacking the start-prov of any Robot-player or opposing human player". Precisely for the reason you suggest. (But I'm sure I missed other things, so feel free to keep asking.)

And I chose not to refer to it as this strange word "headhunting" .... I certainly never understood the term when I started, and I think it must be unintelligible to new players? It maybe came from some other game. But it's easy to state it as "On turn 01, no ......", so I did that!

Cheers,
Han