Wok 4 invite?

All about the online version of classic WOK games.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

Validon
Veteran
Veteran

Wok 4 invite?

Post by Validon » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:33 pm

Is there any precedence for an invite only WoK game? Would this cause too much controversy? Or would everyone be OK with it. I'm not trying to keep anyone out so much as just trying to put together a field of ten that I would like to see compete against each other. This game would have nothing to do with my Group #02 but would actually be for my Group #03.

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:09 pm

As far as I can remember that has never happened before except for the champs games.

I don't think there is any reason you couldn't do it if you wanted to try. For some reason I doubt you could actually get 10 people that you wanted to all agree to play in the same game. I know some people try to limit the number of games they are playing so they can give the proper amount of time to each game they play. there are also plenty of others who only like to play one game or the other.

Good luck.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:18 am

Actually, it has happened before, but it has been a loooong time ago. I did it WAY back when I was GMing. But then again, way back then there were only about 15-20 regular players and I could do it without much controversy. To let you know how long ago it was, there was not a WOK manager as you know it to speak of. All orders had to be put in manually. Ah, the good old days!

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:31 am

I am of the firm opinion that ever since the advent of WOK 5, the best thing Al has done for this community is the automated order scanner. It cuts GMing time down a LOT. A whole lot. I think the number of games we have active now, compared to then, is a tribute to that. Yeah, the community is bigger as well, but GMing a game now is so simple that anybody can do it. Yes, even Ben. :lol:

OK OK I was kidding- I just want to say that I will think Ben is a "knob" in general (his favorite word for me) overall, he is an awesome GM. Outside of me, he's my favorite GM. :-) Although Korexus' X-Game ideas sound absolutely fascinting, about on par with some of those I have done- too bad I don't have time to sign up for 'em now, ah well.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:40 am

:oops: Don't what to say really, I'm a great GM knob

:lol:

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:48 am

I don't think that there's anything wrong with inviting the players you'd like to have compete. There are GM's who have a blacklist of players who go m-3 from the start or quit during a game who they will not let play in their game. So there are already games in which not all players are allowed to play.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Post by Undertaker » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:46 pm

As long as there's not more than two from the same clan, go for it.
"That's a good question. Let me see...In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked." Hunter S. Thompson

Mylantis
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Mylantis » Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:14 pm

Unless their from The First Family........ :lol:
Loved by few, hated by many, respected by all........The First Family

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:22 pm

Maybe TFF could make it to the Clan champs if we let them have more than 2?
Underdog is here

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:13 am

Maybe the Square of 144 could make the Clan Champs when.....NAHHHHH. I don't think that could EVER happen. :pure evil:

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:37 am

well if those guys can't get there after the additions they have made, they are doing something wrong.
I have been hearing
"Watch out for TFF"
for about 2 years and they still haven't gotten there. Lets hope they can at least get above VO this time around.
we would never hear the end of it if they didn't.
Underdog is here

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Post by Undertaker » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:07 pm

The only thing the First Family has done "wrong" the last two years is not playing in very many games. I think I was in three last scoring period. The clans that make it to the champs usually have players in every game. i.e. Raw,Korexus.

If anything we have been guilty of, it's lack of time. With Mylantis working 7 days, myself with two jobs, and Allister with twins on the way, I say we are very fortunate that we've added three great players to the clan. We are already in more games currently, than we were all last year (except Allister, who made it to the Champs).

Now I'm not trying to make excuses, that's just the way it's been.
"That's a good question. Let me see...In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked." Hunter S. Thompson

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:31 pm

Well, I think it's time we had a peek at Bjorn's wins per game rating :)

Bjorn, would you be so kind and show us how does it look right now?

trewqh
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:17 pm

UT I will go along with that.
I have noticed that you guys don't play as much as you used to. It's a good thing to have those extra players on the roster for just that reason. Yes those players who play in every game they can find do tend to get more VP's in the long run.

On that note, I am intending a short hiatus until July. Due to plans in the next couple months, I will be away a couple different times so I don't plan to play in any games. Unless something drastic changes those plans.

Maybe someone will start a speed game that I might be able to get in during one of the stretches I will be around.
Underdog is here

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:33 pm

I think you should beg Raw for that. He mentioned something to me a while ago that he was thinking about a 1-2 day turn-around for a game. I think he would be the one to ask considering he's pretty prompt with his orders and all. I've never played in one of his games.

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Mylantis
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Mylantis » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:32 am

Suuuure!! Good excuse Underdog! You sure it's not that your waiting for better clan-mates to play with? :pure evil: Or maybe you're just going to hide out for a few months..... :hypernervous: Come on, you can admit it, you ARE scared aren't ya...... :ignore:
Loved by few, hated by many, respected by all........The First Family

Duke

Post by Duke » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:14 am

Doesnt anyone remember the Count Henri Invitational?

When CH went AWOL the first time I put up a WOK5 invitational game to his honour. I had a picture of him half-naked on the mappage. Since I am a total screwup it all went downhill and I had to remake it to a WOK4 game.

I had a tenth mystery player in that group. I belive Tbert made one turn as that player but the majority of the group was played by the tag-team Thin King and the now oh so pissed off Baron Roland. I had to dig them up from the gutters and force them back to WOK.

Jeez, I go away for a few months and all of a sudden all memory of me is lost. :wink:
First one here, last one to leave.

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:33 am

Who is this Duke guy anyway? :lol:
Underdog is here

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bjorn » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:32 pm

trewqh wrote:Well, I think it's time we had a peek at Bjorn's wins per game rating :)
trewqh
Do you just want the data from 2003, or do you want me to include the data from the completed games in 2004 as well? I started a new sheet after the 2003 HiScore closed out.
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:43 pm

Bjorn wrote:
trewqh wrote:Well, I think it's time we had a peek at Bjorn's wins per game rating :)
trewqh
Do you just want the data from 2003, or do you want me to include the data from the completed games in 2004 as well? I started a new sheet after the 2003 HiScore closed out.
So you make separate ratings for each year? I thought it was continuous.

Combined data would be best, but if it's too much work then the rating for 2003 will do :)

Thanks in advance!

trewqh
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking