Gm Dom Slaughter House

All about the online version of classic WOK games.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

SmashFace

Gm Dom Slaughter House

Post by SmashFace » Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:47 pm

Ok the group has opened, only 40 provences, and all provences are set to +MIS, i decided not to disable the +LEV aim. so there you have it, [shadow=red]this better be a bloody game![/shadow]
God of WOK

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:41 am

I wonder how many of the playerrs have seen both?
most of the players seem to be too young to remember them, but with cable they have probably heard of them.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri Mar 21, 2003 9:05 pm

Underdog wrote:I wonder how many of the playerrs have seen both?
most of the players seem to be too young to remember them, but with cable they have probably heard of them.
Hmm I haven't seen either but I read both :)

trewqh

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sat Mar 22, 2003 7:22 pm

Baron Roland wrote:Ugh!! Reading A Clockwork Orange is a heavy assignment. Ughh, the language made my head hurt.
The interesting thing is that we have to different 'co-existing' translations of the book in Poland. One, called ver. 'R', mixes polish with russian in the same way that the original mixes english and russian (the difference is that russian is in someways similar to polish and also most of Poles understand russian at least a bit so it's not that hard for us to read that version) and the other one, ver. 'A', mixes polish with english (very interesting idea, this second translation is quite recent), it uses english neologisms instead of russian to create a language that is more likely to evolve (Talk about translation work!!!)

I read the first translation (R) and didn't want to read the other one because the book is good but not that brilliant to read it twice. Actually somewhere in the middle of the book I come up with an idea how it might end and it turned out to be just the way it thought.

trewqh

PS btw, I'm reading The Gunslinger now. I was recently published in Poland so I bought it knowing that you, BR, and some of the other wokitos :) like it.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:16 pm

Polish also has verb declination+m/f forms and also noun conjugation (as in German but German has 4 cases while Polish has 7 :D How many does Latin have?) and actually there's nothing to understand. If you weren't brought up in a polish speaking family then you would just have to learn it. Of course, there are some a patterns and after some time, when you get a grip of it, you are able to intuitively say the correct form of a word that you heard for the first time but polish linguists have numerous conferences concerning also this aspect of our language every year.

I know that russian is similar to polish grammatically.

So, now you can imagine what wonderful work did Burgess do to combine english and russian (even though it gave you a headache :) ) and what (maybe even more) wonderful work did the polish translator (because it was one man who came up with both versions) do to rewrite it using another unflexible and very disciplined language as my own.

trewqh

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Sun Mar 23, 2003 6:27 am

ok, 4 slots left SOMEBODY JOIN!!!!!
God of WOK

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:04 pm

2 slots left, come on people!
God of WOK

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:22 pm

Hi guys,

I just saw the map for turn 0 and... this IS going to be a slaughterhouse.

Hey what do you all say we split the provinces equally for the first turn :P
There are 40 provinces and 10 players with 3 attacks each. I worked it out and it can be done :lol:

The neutrals will never become a chellange in this group anyway since they won't build their defences.

Good luck to all,
trewqh

PS Any nap proposals welcome :P :lol:

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:26 pm

Oh,

Is headhunting allowed?

I suppose we use the same rules as for Taker's 6 - Missilemania (which isn't that missilly (sp? :D ) after all).
I mean no headhunting or bombing home provinces on the first turn either.

trewqh

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:18 am

no headhunting, and no missiling home provences, good point trewqh
God of WOK