Gm Gaz - Group 01 Beginners game

All about the online version of classic WOK games.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

Aussie Gaz

Post by Aussie Gaz » Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:53 pm

I will open the game to those with only 1 or 2 vps.

I would like to get the first turn out tomorrow as I will be away from Thursday to Sunday.

2 spots left.

I have 2 TKG, 2 BOV, 2 CON, 1 Scholar and 1 First Family.

Lets go people.

:roll:

Aussie Gaz

Post by Aussie Gaz » Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:54 am

Game is full.

First turns should be out in next 24 hours.

:)

Aussie Gaz

Post by Aussie Gaz » Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:55 am

I will be delaying the game by 24 hours for a few reasons.

1. Several players had problems receiving their first turn.

2. With only 9 hours to go I have only 4 sets of orders in.

3. It is apparant from the orders I have received from the true beginners that they have not received much advice from clan mates etc

A couple of questions to other Gm's.

Have I overstepped the mark by advising those beginners to redo their orders?

In two cases I have advised the beginners clan head and left it to them to sort out.

Should I have run the turn knowing that those orders were next to useless for the player concened?

:?:

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:44 am

AG I have done the same thing.
I will only do it for the player who is entering their first game and has never sent in orders before and I will usually send a copy to their CH and let them sort it out. I don't believe there is anything wrong with doing this as long as you are consistent. If the orders even look as if the player understands how they work I will usually leave them be.
I had a player try to send me orders once that looked like a tornado hit them. I think he was trying to tell me what he wanted to do and expected me to enter the orders from a written statement that was mixed in with the text order form, but I couldn't even figure that out. I believe it took this player 4 turns to even get close to doing something coherent. and I don't believe he has been back since.
The clan head is the way to go when something like this happens. It is his responsibility to make sure that the beginners understand how the game works. it makes things alot more enjoyable for everyone.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:31 am

Gaz,

I have done the same thing for beginners that have entered their very first ever game, and only on their bery first turn. I think its a real good idea to email them to the Clan Head, and let them straighten out the new players. Sometimes new players, for whatever reason, are afraid to ask the "stupid" question about how the orders need to be input. (I wan't one of those ones, I bet I sent Nick about 500 "stupid" question emails when I first joined)

So, to any new guys and gals that are looking on, dont be afraid to talk to your clan head/ clan mates. THATS WHAT WE ARE HERE FOR!!!

Good Luck Gaz with your first game!

Goat Herder
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Goat Herder » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:18 am

Sounds like your doing a great job-AG.

After all, they are "beginners" and that's why we have beginner games --- so the newcomers can learn the ropes before coming up against the more experienced people. In any case, they are most probably competing against a few people that have played a few games anyway, so I think a little bit of help is great for the game. The clan system seems a unique idea that I haven't seen in other gaming communities, so new starters may not necessarily know they can talk freely with other people, so the GM should be able to help if he can.

A little bit of help may go a long way - we might even get a few new long term WOkkers out of it, instead of them running off to try out other PBEM or online games. The next Appleton or Irish explosion has to start somewhere, we could suddenly get another 30-40 new players just from pleasing one new person.

Have fun,

Goat herder
Live long and prosper ---- but don't let the Taxation Department know.

Polymorphic
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Polymorphic » Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:12 am

As an experienced player in the game, I don't really have a problem with the GM letting those poor newbies know when they're doing it wrong. After all, it would be a boring game if we didn't have some opposition... :wink:

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:17 pm

Polymorphic wrote:As an experienced player in the game, I don't really have a problem with the GM letting those poor newbies know when they're doing it wrong. After all, it would be a boring game if we didn't have some opposition... :wink:

:lol:

Huge temptation to reply!

No, mustn't insult my team mate, he might decide to attack me!

Anyone else want to pick up on this, Queen Pea, Gaz :?:

J/K, Morph. Please don't hurt me! :wink:
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Ecrivian
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Ecrivian » Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:52 pm

Polymorphic wrote:As an experienced player in the game, I don't really have a problem with the GM letting those poor newbies know when they're doing it wrong. After all, it would be a boring game if we didn't have some opposition... :wink:
Although I'm rusty at WOK IV I think we provide enough competition for each other Poly. :wink: And Korexus, please respond to my email. Appleton explosion? I think it can be generalized to Wisconsin.... speaking of which there is a WOK V map floating around out there on the web for WISCONSIN :twisted: .... I've seen it. L :roll: :roll: k around you'll find it.

Ec
War determines not who is right, but who is left. We shall see in the days ahead whom of you appear atop the pile of corpses.