The Gateway - NEW WOK 4 GAME!

All about the online version of classic WOK games.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

Saladin

The Gateway - NEW WOK 4 GAME!

Post by Saladin » Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:21 am

As promised, here's a new wok standard 4 advanced game for you to enjoy!

I even created a new map for this one. :)

So if you're interested go to:

http://www.berkhof.demon.nl/group7/group7.html

and sign up.

BTW i'll probably start the wok 4 X-game i had in mind later this week, i'll probably will only allow one player per clan in this one...more details later! :)
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:40 pm

I forgot to put up this slight change in the rules, so all (future) players, take note. :)

The Gateway (province 60) is just that, a gateway to the other provinces. The Gateway is empty and has no defenses. At the end of each round the gateway will return to it's neutral status. So it is possible to attack through The Gateway, but any armies, spies, workers or peasants that are left behind in The Gateway will go mad and commit suicide. :)
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:03 pm

Hmm...good idea!

From now on every time you send armies through the port you have to pay 0.50 euro per army. Best to send a cheque. :)

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:20 pm

To be exact I suggested it in December, shortly after I joined the forum. And Thin_King said that he had also thought about such a map.

But now, when I see how it looks, I'm not very keen on joining this group... :? Sorry Saladin. (But hey, it IS a great idea :D )

trewqh

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:41 pm

Yeah, i know...i suck at making maps so i just make it so it's functional. :)

My first idea was to have ALL provinces be able to border each other, but sadly you can only have 10 provinces bordering one province.

But at least starting position is of less importance here and battle could happen anywhere, so people will have to use good diplomacy with everybody. :)

I'm also thinking of running a wok 4 game with missiles and the spy player option turned off...just to get Nick to play wok 4 again. :lol:
Last edited by Saladin on Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:08 pm

Saladin wrote:My first idea was to have ALL provinces be able to border each other, but sadly you can only have 10 provinces bordering one province.
:D I also mentioned this idea in December. Don't know if the thread is still there, it was called:'wierd maps idea' (General Discussion Forum)

Some people answered my post (not to mention a US vs. rest of the world flamer) but no one wrote that a province can have up to 10 neighbours.
Saladin wrote:I'm also thinking of running a wok 4 game with missiles and the spy player option...just to get Nick to play wok 4 again. :lol:
I don't get it... Did I miss something or does WOK 4 have missiles and spy player option?

trewqh

Lord Fredo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lord Fredo » Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:41 pm

trewqh wrote:I don't get it... Did I miss something or does WOK 4 have missiles and spy player option?
Uh, uh, yes you did miss something but this is all very, very old news...
Wilfred is refering to an old and sometimes continued discussion wether WOK 4 or WOK 5 has a bigger luck factor involved. The whole thing about the missiles and spies is off course that you never know what you will hit with your missiles in WOK 4 and that you can get ahold of a players entire data from a single spy mission, somthing that some people find offensive.

Lord Fredo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lord Fredo » Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:45 pm

Uh, uh, now I've done it ... I had to go and mention the L-word again didn't I ...

*Lord Fredo eases his way out of the picture and then runs away*

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:41 pm

To clarify, Wilfred did send me a note asking me to play in his Gateway game. I turned him down because, well, it's WOK 4. He asked my what specifically I didn't like about WOK 4, and, as always, my complaints boil down to luck inherent in missles and the spy player option. I told him the only way I'd ever play in a WOK 4 game again is if those two things were eliminated. It's certainly possible to run a game like that with full player support, although it'd still require a decent amount of manual monitering (although not necessarily action) on the GMs part.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:00 pm

Hmm. With those players already on the list, I'm reconsidering my decision not to join this group... :veryevil:

trewqh

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:53 pm

If I see there's a position open on Tuesday night (my time) I'll send a request to join.

And, BR, let's stay with just:

trewqh :)

Saladin

4 spots left!!!

Post by Saladin » Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:27 pm

come on guys!

Four spots left...let's fill up this game and get it started!

Or is everybody cowering after seeing the impressive line up we have so far.? :twisted:

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:19 pm

Saladin wrote:So it is possible to attack through The Gateway, but any armies, spies, workers or peasants that are left behind in The Gateway will go mad and commit suicide. :)
So if you want to use it to move things around be sure that nobody takes it after you in the attack Phase because no one will listen to you screaming: 'Hey! I was here first!'

The way that this game is going to be is very dependant on the starting provinces and the OoP. I know these are the two factors that matter a lot in any game but here you have much less options of where to go.

Beginning between two other players (1 province between) without access to the Gateway will get you out of the game very quickly. Same thing if you go early in the OoP on turn 1 (even if other players are a bit further than 1 province).

But since I'm a rather lucky man... hmm :P

trewqh

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:11 am

Good point Trewqh!

I'll set all starting provinces to be a province next to a province with connection to the portal, being province 2, 8, 14, 20, 26, 32, 38, 44, 50 and 56.

That should give everybody enough room to grow and access to a portal, without the no head hunting rule blocking people from using the portal. :)

So now join the game! :D Only two spots left!

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:33 pm

trewqh wrote:If I see there's a position open on Tuesday night (my time) I'll send a request to join.
hmm... that was 6 days ago.....
God of WOK