How to play your first turn in Standard WOK

All about the online version of classic WOK games.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

How to play your first turn in Standard WOK

Post by Hannibal » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:59 pm

Some, or most, new players think it looks great in principle, got the rules, but now it's my first turn in my first game, and I'm at a loss as to what is a good or bad way to play Turn 1. OK, only half of new players. This thread is for them.

I suggest we make this a sticky, so that all new players see it or can easily be directed to it, without it fading down over time.

Some might contend that the Clan tells them. OK, good when they do. But the fact is, the majority of our new players play first as Mercs and/or unaided. So they could do with a hint or two.

I won't write my "how to" here. Done enough suggesting for today.

SO, this is only opening the thread, and trying to make it a sticky, for others to contribute for the guidance of new first-timers.

Look at it from the POV of the first-timer. Can I make 3 attacks, assuming I succeeded in the first and second (a common question - Yes!)

Should I go for one prov, or a full 3?

Where should I do my transforms?

Keep population or transform it maximally?

What do I put my workers on in AIMS during Turn 1?

Look, I know we have different views on these, and it's easy to say that this is a matter of skill or clan ... but let's look at it from the POV of the new arrival, commonly playing as a Merc in his or her first game - what should we advise him toi get him off to a decent start with a sense that he knows hat he is doing?

It's a thread, to accommodate a variety of views, rather than one document from one player.

Pls chip in. Kor, pls make it a sticky if it ends up looking useful to new players?

Cheers,
Han
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:24 pm

Like your nap post (if nothing else it's a nice point of ref for me to tell people how to get around :twisted: ) but not sure about this one.

For me turn one is THE most important turn and even for newbies I am not sure I want to tell them what they should do to any degree unless they are in my clan. I guess my advice for turn one would be "Join a clan and get a free tutor"
Question everything.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:32 pm

Well, we'll just have to disagree on that. I think the Greater Good is to get newbs off to a start where they are OK, so they might play again, rather than deny them all advice if they want to just "try" us as a merc.

I guess they'll just have to do without the Thuggee secret of success...

Or, you might consider that you are BOUND to kill them later, at around Turn5 or Turn 10, given your skill, even if we helped guide them just for Turn 1. That's my view. About half of newbies take a position but never actually play Turn1. That's what I'm trying to avoid. You can rip them later!

BTW, you are welcome to do some counter-argument here ... but if you "liked" my nap-post, pls could you post that thought there on that thread? Otherwise, what happens, is that the people who agree or like it sanction it with a silent nod; only those who disagree tend to post, which carries a certain bias ...

Cheers,
Han
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to