New game: Colonial.

All about the online version of classic WOK games.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

Kikkertje
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Kikkertje » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:08 pm

And I asked for a nap and got no reply either :P

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:37 pm

They've not emailed me either. I'll send a followup tomorrow.

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:18 am

Brykovian wrote:(Why doesn't anyone else get UD's humor? He always has me chuckling.

-Bryk
The younger generation is WAY to PC to understand anything as outdated as humor.

I think the problem is that you might be right behind me as far as when we started playing this game. I don't think there are any players who were here when I started still around. I guess that REALLY makes me an old timer. You weren't too far behind me but I was just trying to remember the 4 clans that were here when I started and could only come up with 3. I got the Scholars, Dark Stone and Ar-Sereg. Can't remember what the name of the last one was. I remember it was Piebald and Tristao that were the 2 main players.

Maybe Trewqh could help I just remembered he was around way back when also, but under that other name. I wonder if he gets my attempts at humor? I know Donut does also but that doesn't mean much.

OK my next complaint. WHO had the bright idea to change the colors around? I know that the colors have changed I remember yellow used to be player 1. Light green was 2, Dark green was 7, Grey was 8. now they are all different. who pulled that stunt? KOREXUS??????????????

I was totally coRnfused when this game started.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:25 am

red branch knights perhaps? that is the one i can remember and i do remember tristao and piebald as well.
God of WOK

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:54 am

Thuggee.

The colours was Han's idea. I waited for cries of indignation, but none came. - I did it in a very reversable way though, for when people do start complaining! :wink:

And I get your humour, UD, I'm just way to cool/cynical to admit in public that someone as old as you can be (deliberately) funny. :P

Chris.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:43 am

I agree with UD about the colours. Especially the purplish colour is extremely hard to distinguish from light blue or even gray on my note book. The other colours are ok, but i think it would be good if purple became another colour. Maybe make them Bright pink or Magenta?
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:10 am

What's the big deal? You're one colour, the other 9 players are nine other colours, from the start. What does it matter to you what order the colours are in now? It makes any difference in Standard WOK? What difference?

Making the colours more distinguishable from each other is a completely different matter. So I'm not sure what Saladin meant by agreeing with UD on the colours? UD was only talking about the ORDER of them. Saladin is talking about distinguishability. THAT might make a difference and be marginally better. I've never had any distinguishability problems myself, but maybe others have on their machines, so no objection from me if anyone wants to bother amending a colour.
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:11 pm

:D I should read better. I thought UD had a problem with some of the new colours as well. :)
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:30 pm

"New" colours? None of them are new or changed colours! They are EXACTLY the same ten colours they were before, just in a different order, that's all. Resistance-to-change just made you imagine they had changed shades, subconsciously, so that you could find a negative to say? :wink: So, you were happy with the distinguishability between the "old" ten colours, but find the "new" ten colours more of a problem on distinguishability? They are the SAME 10 colours, no change.

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:07 pm

The problem for me is that i used to play on my desktop, but now i play on my notebook and when the screen is not 100% perfectly allined it's almost impossible to tell the difference between that purple colour and grey or light blue. So that's why i think it would be a good idea to change the purple colour.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:27 pm

Now we're getting somewhere. If the ancient 10-colours now cause a problem on new machines, then let's by all means tweak one or two of them for the future.

But at least acknowledge that I myself didn't change any of the colours; they stayed unchamged; it was a misunderstanding of yours; and that when you said you agreed with UD, you were only agreeing with something he never touched on at all. You were possibly just looking to disagree, for no good reason.

OK, it might be good to change the colours to improve distinguishability between colours; not something I'd ever pushed for or suggested, but if it matters to you, I'll support you., OK? Why don't you suggest a couple of colour-amenments to Kor? OK?

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:57 pm

Underdog wrote:Maybe Trewqh could help I just remembered he was around way back when also, but under that other name. I wonder if he gets my attempts at humor?
I get them. Whether I find them funny is a separate matter. :P

And I seem to be better at getting them than a certain player who is more or less your age (from my perspective at least) :roll: So it seems your style fits the PC generation quite well. :)

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:17 pm

I had the colors aligned with player number, like 8 was always grey and 1 was always yellow.

It made it a bit easier to keep track of things...but I can live either way. But my vote would be to keep one color associated with 1 player number.
It's not fast unless its got a fart can.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:33 pm

What was behind that idea is that now colours are in alphabetical order.

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:34 pm

new thread perhaps?
God of WOK

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:50 pm

Hmm, it's a well know optical illusion that the same colour can appear different if different colours surround it. Maybe the gradiation we now have means each colour sticks out a bit less on the score board. (Clutching at straws to defend my conservative views, surely not!)

I'm not sure I have anything productive to add to this conversation, so I'm really just reminding you that I'm still alive... :)

korexus.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:03 pm

SmashFace wrote:new thread perhaps?
I don't think it's worth the effort anymore. The split thread would be hijacked as well. Twice at least. :)

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:06 am

korexus wrote:Hmm, it's a well know optical illusion that the same colour can appear different if different colours surround it. Maybe the gradiation we now have means each colour sticks out a bit less on the score board. (Clutching at straws to defend my conservative views, surely not!)

I'm not sure I have anything productive to add to this conversation, so I'm really just reminding you that I'm still alive... :)

korexus.
What was the reason for the change? Surely it was better than to just "mix it up"?

Looking through the colors I noticed one thing that Korexus kinda mentioned... all the bold colors are on the bottom. It don't really matter to me... I only remember yellow as 1 and Blue as 10.
The scars remind us that the past is real.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:56 am

trewqh wrote:What was behind that idea is that now colours are in alphabetical order.
The first six at least :P

Han's point was that the sequence doesn't matter that much in Standard games (and I agree), but it's really helpful in Duels where you have to remember which of your colours are NAPped with which colours of your enemy. When you know that #1 is NAPped with #3 and so on AND you know the order of the colours then you don't have to refer to the roster each time you look on the map. The map which some players (or player, since Egbert and Bjorn are not around anymore) tend to print out and make notes on - the bright colours for players make the notes more visible.

While this is not useful to myself, it doesn't make anything harder to me and I understand that Han expects his friends from the LBGC to find this useful once (and if) he brings them to Kaomaris.

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:46 pm

The reason is that they're alphabetical... at least the first six. Doesn't that mean they're not alphabetical? :P

I simply wanted to make the observation that we needed a reason to change them back to the original but there was (seemingly) no reason to make the change.

I really don't care either. It doesn't really confuse me as I have the memory of a goldfish.

WTF is an LBGC?
The scars remind us that the past is real.