New Game: Center Island

All about the online version of classic WOK games.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

korexus

New Game: Center Island

Post by korexus » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:11 pm

Now that Forest Lake has started, I've opened up a new Standard WoK game. To encourage agressiveness (and so Hryll can blind us with his multiple attack planning skills) I've doubled the amount of tech produced by workers, everything else is the same though.

Judging by last time, this game will take a while to fill but on the other hand I see more players posting here than there have been for a while...

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Kikkertje
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Kikkertje » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:10 pm

With turns taking a lot of time I might as well try out several games at the same time.

*signs registration form*

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:51 pm

Just in case you didn't realise, the first turn has a longer time allowed so that players can sort out the diplomacy. After turn 2 runs we'll be up to about 1 turn every three days (although GMs can delay the turn if a player needs it).

Chris.

Kikkertje
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Kikkertje » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:21 pm

3 days is what I would call a lot of time :P

I was already aware of that, Donut had told me so.

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:21 pm

Lardmaster, Donut and Smashface have all signed up. That leaves us with 2 spots free. I see Han around a lot at the minute and I don't think anone would mind 3 Vulkings, seeing as the clans are pretty much defunct right now. Or am I wrong?

And are there any other takers?

Chris.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:34 pm

8 players in 12 days, great!

I can play as a merc, since I didn't have a chance to face Hannibal (the player whom I consider the best at WoK ) since our Duel game. :twisted:

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:08 pm

best in WOK eh? seems like this is some sort of challenge, i beleive i have faced hannibal one maybe two times, i know the result of the first was that he won, but this was an intriguing statement.... i am defiantly back, and definatly ready to show some oldschool gameplay.
God of WOK

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:14 pm

also, not saying i am the best player but a significant amount of names come to mind, but most of which you probably have never played with befpre, like egbert, saladin, calidus, raw, massie, TK although i only played a few games with him. Nick in wok5. to name a few, also those were in no particular order. but hopefully some will be back soon... we'll see
God of WOK

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:17 pm

The players you mentioned were great, indeed. I fought all of them at some point. And in the last 3 Standard WoK games I faced Egbert twice and twice took him out all by myself. :) (Check out WoK Islettes and Water-crossing games to see for yourself, can't remember the GMs right now).

And I'm glad to see you back SF as I remember you as a formidable foe as well. :)

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:18 pm

Dameon and Nick spent most of their time playing WoK V. After making such a big deal about how easy WoK IV was, they couldn't risk losing a game! :twisted:

I believe trewqh was talking about Standard WoK (WoK 4) players, amoung whom Han is ranked very high, not least because of the refreshing non-sleeping role that he and Val used so successfully.

Egbert is still my all time WoK hero. No matter how good you are, you can't win every game, but that guy was so clinical he had a great chance. Until he started getting angry and attacking people randomly...

Or maybe my WoK hero should be...

...Ecrivian!

korexus.

Kikkertje
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Kikkertje » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:53 pm

Did someone press the button for this specific WoK game? It says the first turn starts on Sunday...

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:49 pm

Good catch, it shouldn't have started then, but it is just about to.

I have had two applications from logged in players for the final spot, also two from non-logged in and one by Proxy through Validon (so between 2 and 4 too many applicants) With that in mind, I'll kick off this game and set up a new one, unless any GM would prefer to run the next game. Easy to swap over if you do...

GM Chris.

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:01 pm

Game has started.

Two scholars, two vulkings, one brother and 5 mercs. the players are quite well spread, both scholars are together, but surrounded. The vulkings have a side island each, but are on opposite sides of the map.

Diplomacy will be key in the first few turns...

Let battle commence!

GM Chris.

Kikkertje
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Kikkertje » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:36 pm

Whats the state of clans now?

First someone said that clans were abolished, but from your post it looks like they are given a value again.

If clans have a value, then I want to be in Donut's clan, but the leader there isnt responding to my applications =/

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:38 pm

Well, clans are not very lively these days and and we don't require new players to join a clan, but a new player should expect that players listed as clanmates know eachother and will most likely cooperate.

Check out the Clans tab in the Lobby to learn more about clans and maybe join one.

Donut is in the Brotherhood of Vayuna and being the only active BoV member I think he can be treated as the Clan Head of this clan.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:44 pm

korexus wrote: With that in mind, I'll kick off this game and set up a new one, unless any GM would prefer to run the next game. Easy to swap over if you do...
I can run it if you'd like to play it. I'll play if you don't want me to run it. :)

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:10 pm

Also, are is the new headhunting definition adopted in this game's houserules?

Generally, I am for it but with this setup it will be a nuisance. :)

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:19 pm

Game was set up before the Headhunting suggestion was made (this is part of the reason I haven't set up a new game yet. - I still need to change the engine...) So headhunting is only banned for turn 1. Check the houserules for all details for this game...

GM Chris.

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:43 pm

w00t... This could be fun. I would like to run the next game. So I'll set it up soon.
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:14 am

"Headhunting with spies is NOT allowed in this game."

Ok, just to be 100% sure. This means that it's not allowed to use sabotage and steal pop with your spies right? So you ARE ALLOWED to simply spy a home province, right?

Thanks for answering this guys!
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."