Orders sent?

All about the online version of classic WOK games.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

korexus

Orders sent?

Post by korexus » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:15 pm

There has been another issue with players thinking orders are sent but them not being present when the turn runs. There are several possible causes for this, most of which it is impossible for me to check. I certainlyhaven't been able to reproduce the problem if it is machine based...

Players (and GMs) can currently check to see if orders have been submitted for a turn by loading the SAOF. If anything has been submitted, it will stay in the form on subsequent loaidngs. Clearly, however, this is not enough.

I remember that some GMs used to have an 'Orders Sent' column on the player stats table of the game page. I could implement this. The bonus would be that players could see in big, bright writing whether or not they had sent orders and so never miss turns accidentally. The downside could be that everyone would know whether other people had sent orders in yet.

Any thoughts?

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:02 pm

I vote for an orders sent column. I cant see the harm in others knowing if I at all have sent in orders or not. I could simply re-send them if they choose to end a NAP or whatnot.
First one here, last one to leave.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:31 pm

Well it's a definite advantage can be had from knowing if your opponent has sent in orders or not. If you know he hasn't sent in orders, than you don't have to worry about a counter attack and such.

Chris, is it possible to have the 'orders send' written behind the 'submit orders' link for the games you're in. That way if you log in to the lobby you can see straight away for which of your games you still have to send in orders. And others can't see wether or not you've sent orders this way.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:04 pm

This might be a better idea. Although your reasoning is a little faulty. Not seeing the orders sent for another player would just mean that he hasn't sent orders *yet*. Unless you're going to wait until the absolute last second you can't be sure your opponent will miss the turn. Even then, how do you know he is not doing the same thing?

However, I don't think WoK should be a game ofbluffing about orders and your version works just as well for a player's own orders so I can do it that way if people want...

Chris

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:56 pm

korexus wrote: However, I don't think WoK should be a game ofbluffing about orders and your version works just as well for a player's own orders so I can do it that way if people want...

Chris
I remember a guy named Piebald who didnt really agree with you on the bluffing thing

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:26 pm

Oh, if i would be in a tough fight i would definitely wait till the very last minute to see if the enemy had sent in orders and then press the sent button. That could really prove to be a huge advantage one i would definitely take advantage of. Even if it means getting up at 4 am. :D
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:35 pm

And no one claims that you are sane.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:51 pm

Sane?

Of course not!

I PLAY WOK!

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:02 pm

lol, you got me there. 1-0 to the clogman.

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:19 pm

You're all insane, but never mind. As long as you admit it, it's probably not a real problem.

It would be interesting to see how close Sal would go to missing the turn in the hope of some advantage over another player. Especially if the other person was trying the same tactic, but I think I'll just go with a banner by each game in the Lobby saying if your own orders have been received. Still need one more person to boost my ego before I try it though... :P

Chris.

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:21 pm

I can speak for......Rambo, hm no one remembers him......Dyana! and she says it is fine so go ahead Swindoner.

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:25 pm

Speaking of Swindon. You could get Percy Weasley and Marcus Flint's autographs if you get your butts down to the German Christmas Market this week-end. Get you geeky butts there :D

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:16 pm

I also think it's a good idea, to be able to privately see if you submitted orders. I'm afraid to admit it, but I would do the same thing as Sal if I could see if a player did not submit orders.
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

Duke

Post by Duke » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:55 pm

I just love the way Egbert completely ignores all my rubbish about Swindon. :D

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:45 pm

Duke, it's the best thing to do to anything about Swindon...

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:34 pm

Done, I hope you enjoy it. You guys no longer have any excuse!

Chris.

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:37 am

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with what you did but in Egberts group I cant se my TR anymore. It says Turn -1 even though it is turn 8. The turn is ran and my order went through obviously since I can see my attacks on the map. What to do?

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:54 pm

Chris,

When you click on the text version of the turn report. It wants to download the page modules.php instead of the text file.

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:20 pm

I can see my orders now. After reading Sal's post I realised I could change the adress manually. The link doesnt work however.

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:51 pm

I think Korexus is about to quit! :P

I now see this on my game page:

GM_Wilfred's - Training Game. Turn #38, next turn due in 5 hours and 6 minutes Array ( [0] => 11 [GameID] => 11 [1] => Training Game [GameName] => Training Game [2] => 39 [TurnNR] => 39 [3] => Running [GameStatus] => Running [4] => 1134759375 [NextTurn] => 1134759375 [5] => GM_Wilfred [GMName] => GM_Wilfred [6] => 2 [PlayerNR] => 2 )
Submit orders (No Orders!)
View Turn Report
GM_Chris's - Group 05, Cross Islands. Turn #0, next turn due in 72 hours and 58 minutes Array ( [0] => 37 [GameID] => 37 [1] => Group 05, Cross Islands [GameName] => Group 05, Cross Islands [2] => 1 [TurnNR] => 1 [3] => Running [GameStatus] => Running [4] => 1135003652 [NextTurn] => 1135003652 [5] => GM_Chris [GMName] => GM_Chris [6] => 6 [PlayerNR] => 6 )
Submit orders (Orders Received!)
View Turn Report Array ( [0] => [00][00][00] [OrderDetails] => [00][00][00] )
GM_Duke's - Classic. Turn #0, next turn due in 136 hours and 37 minutes Array ( [0] => 38 [GameID] => 38 [1] => Classic [GameName] => Classic [2] => 1 [TurnNR] => 1 [3] => Running [GameStatus] => Running [4] => 1135232819 [NextTurn] => 1135232819 [5] => GM_Duke [GMName] => GM_Duke [6] => 5 [PlayerNR] => 5 )
Submit orders (Orders Received!)
View Turn Report Array ( [0] => [00][00][00] [OrderDetails] => [00][00][00] )
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."