WoK On Update.

All about the online version of classic WOK games.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

korexus

WoK On Update.

Post by korexus » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:44 pm

Ok, I've been prodding around with the automated WoK engine and I think I've managed to fix the voting thing. Certainly if all players vote for a specific outcome, then the game ends and the relavent player(s) gain the appropriate number of VPs. I remember all sorts of strange other things going on though, so I'd appreciate feedback.

Now that VPs for 'Standard WoK' can be traced, I think the next step is to allow players to see the statistics, I picture this as pages giving the Hiscore/kaohalla just as we currently have, but also individual 'player stats' obtainable by clicking on a player's name in a game. This could load a window giving you the players email address, total VPs, VPs this season, rating and any other stats we care to record. How does this sound to people?

By the way, ratings are still not tracked by the game manager. The system we chose is suprisingly unsimple when you break it down so Josh isn't out of a job just yet... - By the way, Josh, are the current VP scores up to date? - I copied them to the database according to your webpage, if anything needs updating then shout up!

Finally, I'd like anyone who can remember a bug with WoK On to post here please. I've been away from wworking on it for so long, that I can't remember what else I'm supposed to be doing! Specifically bugs, not improvements for now please.

Right, think that's everything. Back to work then!

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Duke

Post by Duke » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:12 pm

*applauds*

Dont want to add anything.

*applauds again*

Go crazy welshman! (you're probably english but welshman sounds funnier, like Swindon)
First one here, last one to leave.

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:41 pm

There are quite a few typos, etc. in turn results. If you want, I could send them to you as they occur.

I haven't looked during the past few days, but I remember that the last 2 WOK games I played in I shared VPs (with Bryk and Sal), and they were not recorded in VPs or ratings. Not sure who the GMs were.
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:43 pm

Egbert: Please do send them to me. - Typos are easily fixed! :D

For general interest:
http://www.kaomaris.com/phpNuke/modules ... n=kaohalla
http://www.kaomaris.com/phpNuke/modules ... on=hiscore

kaohalla is almost in line with Josh's copy. All I can see is that Duke and Xarfei are the wrong way round. If Josh's copy is wrong, there's not much I can do, - I think I should stay with the 'official' score so take stuff up with him! :P Hiscore needs a bit of work still, but as it has fewer names will take less time. Then I can work on making them look a bit neater, then I can make the links to the player profiles work, then I can link to the scores from the lobby.

Chris.

[edited to update links, now that they've been integrated to the lobby]
Last edited by korexus on Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xarfei
Veteran
Veteran

Re: WoK On Update.

Post by Xarfei » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:26 pm

korexus wrote:By the way, ratings are still not tracked by the game manager. The system we chose is suprisingly unsimple when you break it down so Josh isn't out of a job just yet... - By the way, Josh, are the current VP scores up to date? - I copied them to the database according to your webpage, if anything needs updating then shout up!
As far as I can tell the ratings haven't been updated in ages. The last three or four games I have been in are not included plus the last game I have GMed. Unless Donut has kept records of all those games (plus all the others that have run since) the rating information is lost which kind of really screws up the whole rating stats.

Xarfei

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:48 am

Further Updates:
  • The set homes function now works. When GMs set up a new game, they can now define which provinces players start in, they also can choose whether to assign each player a particular province or to give each player one of the ten at random. *Please define all 10 provinces or none, otherwise some players will get stuck in province 0!*

Further to this, if GMs set home provinces, they are not shown before turn 0, so players can't work out which position is best before joining.

There is a shiny new 'scores' tab in the lobby. Clicking on it will let you look at the current HiScore or kaohalla, both of which are updated whenever a WoK Online game ends. Each player's name, both on these score lists and on game pages is a link to see that persons stats, all fields shown on the stats should be updated accurately - except for 'Last Active' which doesn't have all the triggers set yet.

Plenty of typos fixed. I'm still waiting for Egbert's list though, so I'm sure there are many more!
Still to do
  • Create a form to allow GMs of Advanced WoK games to enter the data into kaohalla.

Allow GMs to add Advanced WoK games to the kaobase.

Add the Advanced WoK HiScore to the Lobby.

Complete the last active field in player stats.

Sort out ratings f I really must.

Anything else which is brought to my attention.

We seem to be almost there! :D

Chris.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:47 pm

Great work Chris!

One thing i would really like to have fixed is the text file. Sending your clan mate the info that you copied via mail just messes the lay-out up. So if you could get the turn report also out putted as a text file that would be great!
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:48 pm

Done.

It won't work retroactively, but any new turn reports shoud have a working plain text version. Let me know if anything's still too horrible!

Chris.

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:06 am

korexus wrote: [Create a form to allow GMs of Advanced WoK games to enter the data into kaohalla.
Instead of doing this, I've apointed myself Gatekeeper in Donut's absence. It will probably be easier if only one person updates the score tables...
korexus wrote: Allow GMs to add Advanced WoK games to the kaobase.
Done, GMs can also edit games once they are in there.
korexus wrote: Add the Advanced WoK HiScore to the Lobby.
Done, you can find it under the scores tab in the lobby.
korexus wrote: Complete the last active field in player stats.
Mainly done. Sending orders, applying to games or clans, editing clan members for clan heads and setting up or in anyway modifying a game for GMs will count you as active. The forum code is a little nasty so posting here won't affect your stats right now...
korexus wrote: Sort out ratings if I really must.
No one's really said anything in favour of ratings so I'm going to shelve this one for now.
korexus wrote: Anything else which is brought to my attention.
Done Sal's turn report thing, also fixed a few more small bugs and layout problems.

Next up is themed WoK! - One of Al's old ideas which came back to me last night was to write the turn report in different styles for different games, so for example a Medieval game of WoK could have peasants instead of population, knights instead of armies and so on. We can also change the messages which appear in the turn report so get thinking and I'll try to get as many suggestions in as possoble!

Chris.

Xarfei
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Xarfei » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:27 pm

Bugs that I found in my last turn report:
POP WOK AIM ARM LEVEL DEF MI SP
0 20 SPY 0 6.769 5.2 0 5

As you can see there are no armies in that province, hence the level should be 1.000

99 vs 2: Missile 41 hits and destroys 1.3877787807814E-16 defenses!
99 vs 65: Missile 42 hits spies but there are none left!
99 vs 24: Missile 43 hits and destroys 6 tech points!
99 vs 98: Missile 44 hits the defenses but they have all been crushed!

and

99 vs 28: Missile 28 hits and destroys 1.3877787807814E-16 defenses!
99 vs 8: Missile 29 hits and destroys 8 tech points!
99 vs 51: Missile 30 hits the defenses but they have all been crushed!

Only minor bugs...

Xarfei

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:18 am

Fixed the missiling thing, that was a rounding error within php and/or mysql, but it also pointed to the fun line: if (def < 1) {spy = 0) which could have been hard to find otherwise...

Could you post or send me the full report so I can see where the level should have been changed. Or tell me which game and turn it was so I can look it up.

Cheers,

Chris.

Xarfei
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Xarfei » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:13 pm

GM Wilfred's Training game, Turn 22

Xarfei
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Xarfei » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:44 am

Korexus,

I really like the option to see the map together with the turn report on the same page, BUT would it be possible to have the map at the bottom of the turn report since it is more useful to have the new map together with the new province data (i.e. it avoids having to scroll up and down all the time).

Or perhaps have a map at the top AND the bottom?

Xarfei

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:13 am

Your wish, my command. Map now appears below the scores and above the call for vote option. This means we can probably do away with the show/hide map feature, but I'll leave it in anyway...

Chris.

Ruben
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Ruben » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:54 am

I was wondering, as I read the word wok-on engine...Is everything in the game automated? What's the GM's job then? Just curious, that's all ;)

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran
Location: Aalesund, Norway (freezing!). Member of the Vulkings

Post by Mullog » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:15 am

The GM's job is to moderate the game, write comments, and run the turns. Not much work. :)

I would suggest a change to the maps in the report. Why not have last turns map (the map before the turn was run) at the top and this turns map (the map after the turn was run) at the bottom? That would give you a nice before and after view of the game. It should be easy since the map engine can draw the map for any turn. 8)

Rune
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.