GM Wippo - Squares

All about the online version of classic WOK games.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:45 am

You don't need to run antoher turn. The engine checks to see if everyone agrees everytime someone casts their vote. Therefore (in theory) if Bean calls for a vote and Sal agrees before the next turn runs then everything will work of its own accord :D

I add my congratulations, good work Bean!

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:37 pm

I really liked the sqaures map. I liked the act that all provinces started withh the same in it, not advantaging anybody.

I liked the way you can cross the entire map with seven attacks. Because you can also go diagonally it's harder to defend and gives more options for the attacking player.

There are also no bottle necks so no player has any advantages by starting in one square or another.

I think that this is a great map for a standard wok champs, if all the players get an assigned starting province so groups of players aren't clumped together.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Xarfei
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Xarfei » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:10 am

I was thinking of making a second version of this map which is even more open by connecting the provinces on each side with the provinces on the opposite side (i.e. you can go from the very left provinces directly to the very right provinces (and from the upper to the lower and vice versa)).

Then if you spread out the starting provinces they should all be 95% equal since no one will start in a corner or at the edge of the map since there are no corners or edges.

Xarfei

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:49 am

Xarfei wrote: Then if you spread out the starting provinces they should all be 95% equal since no one will start in a corner or at the edge of the map since there are no corners or edges.
Like the rolling map idea, could be fun. Just one question: How can all the starting provinces be 95% equal? Also, what would you do about the corners which are missing?

OK, so that was two questions...

korexus.

Xarfei
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Xarfei » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:51 pm

95% because there is no way to spread out the 10 provinces so that you have absolutely even starting provinces AND since the map can only have 60 provinces there have to be four "gaps" on the map which again makes some of the starting provinces slightly different from others.

Or maybe...... Korexus, how about you change the WOOKIE engine so that you can have more than 60 provinces? (How about a max of 100)?
While you are at it, how about you add the option to have more than 10 players (e.g. 20).

(....If you have nothing better to do....)

Xarfei

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:58 pm

So 95% was a guess then, fair enough. :P Although, I'm sure you could work out a game in which each province touched the same number of provinces, thus setting out your idea. (It can be done, you'd have to move away from "squares" if you wanted to make it look as neat as possible though.)

I think I'll leave extra players and/or provinces for now, but thanks for the offer...