AOF's

All about the online version of classic WOK games.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

Duke

AOF's

Post by Duke » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:01 am

We might have discussed this earlier. I pay so little attention to posts I havent started myself. 8)

Could there be some sort of sign somewhere that tells you if the AOF "came through" ok. Like the mail from the database we used to get.

Now, this time it is UT who is the GM so I am not all that worried. If it were Josh it would have been a different story :roll: :wink:

This time me and Donut will try to switch things around for a while. As a GM he is normally the guy who delivers. However this time he is a player and will be recieving instead. Lets if this is a better position for the two of us.

(Feel free to talk about musicals here Underdog, I've already "set the mood for it")
First one here, last one to leave.

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:55 am

Whenever you hit enter, unless you get a site not found error, the orders *are* in. If you're realy paranoid you can go back to the enter orders link and look at them to make sure...

Chris
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Duke

Post by Duke » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:59 pm

There is an enter orders link?

*hurries off*

Duke

Post by Duke » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:01 pm

Aaaaahahahaha!

Funny man you. You actually made me look.

Naturally I wouldnt find anything as useful as that. :roll:

Oh well, back to worrying about the orders.

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:21 pm

I'm assuming this is part of the usual Duke humour as you've managed to enter orders already...

Chris.

Duke

Post by Duke » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:30 pm

Actually it isnt.

I can submit new orders but I cant see what I have already submitted or if the database picked it up or not.

I still claim that you are funny.

Duke

Post by Duke » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:33 pm

Settle down everyone, settle down.

Everything is normal. Korexus is still the wiz and I am the funny clown.

Not entirely but close to it.

I can see my orders if I click the submit orders button. HOWEVER I still dont know if everything is peaches in the gameengine.

How can I proof to Donut that I did send in my orders 4 weeks ago when he puts me down as M-1?

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:27 pm

Ok, let's look at this slowly.

You've entered orders for the next turn of Taker's game, I know because I'm looking at them.

If you go to submit orders again for Taker's game, those orders will come up on the form. That is proof that they are in the database.

When the turn runs, it gets orders directly from the database and uses them. If they're there then they run.

If a problem ever arises then we can look back through the database and have a look, just like we do now if a player claims to have sent orders which weren't used.

An email proof, quite simply, can be faked. An entry into the database can only be faked by someone who knows the database design and passwords (ie me or Rune and we promise to play nice! :P) even then it wouldn't be all that easy... The only problem you have to deal with is if the GM or someone who's hacked into your account changes your orders. Presumably you'll only play with GMs you trust and if you're worried about a hacker then the current set up is much more secure than the original AOF sender...

Duke

Post by Duke » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:22 pm

Are you telling me a Norwegian can access my orders??? I knew we should never have let them get their country back in 1904.

Seriously, I wasnt worried about people. I worried about engines and automated gizmos.

Unlike you, Gates Jugend havent been able to brainwash me and recruite me to Waffen MS so I still have a free will and are able to doubt the reliability of this whole software.

If you say that as long as I see my orders when I press the Submit orders button then it will definitly work, then it is fine by me. The second a GM tells me I have missed a turn when I know I have sent in orders for it, I will kindly refer him to DukeMart Complaints department = you.

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:28 pm

What I meant was if you go to enter orders again and the original set comes up then you are definitely safe.

The code which calls up your orders for you to look at them is the same as that which lets them be run, if one works then the other does. Barring divine intervention you'll never have a set of orders lost again. I guess you'll need to come up with a new excuse. :twisted:

Chris.

Duke

Post by Duke » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:42 pm

Hey now... :?

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:56 pm

korexus wrote: I guess you'll need to come up with a new excuse. :twisted:

Chris.
This is too easy...........

Korexus must have messed with my orders while screwing around with the game. Then we just blame the Scholars for everything and take away 2 VP's from each member as punishment for allowing Korexus to do such BAD things.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:30 am

Oh Korexus.. about the questions you asked me this morning... I think that the GM should be able to check and see if a player has orders in. It keep it easy on yourself you could also allow a GM to change orders... ya know... just incase some players start to get a bit mouthy :twisted: :twisted:

If not, I can just deal with giving Duke... I mean mouthy players 0 workers in every provinces.
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:55 am

Hey...HEY, lets not get crazy here.

Couldnt you put one of those automated Gates-gizmos on the group page that says NO when you havent sent orders and YES when you have.

Or you Korexus could go in everyday and check it and switch NO to YES manually. I've been told that you dont have a life anyway.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:16 am

Underdog wrote:

Chris.

Korexus must have messed with my orders while screwing around with the game. Then we just blame the Scholars for everything and take away 2 VP's from each member as punishment for allowing Korexus to do such BAD things.
Hmm...that's harsh...would it be ok if we just b itch slapped Korexus around a bit? :twisted:
Last edited by Saladin on Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:18 am

BTW i was thinking. What if another player sends in orders in for a player that's absent for a turn or two. How is that handled?
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:09 am

Donut: That functions been around for ages.

Duke: Where do you get this whole microsoft thing from? The only windows utility I'm using to do WoK On is notepad! A sent orders thing is possible though.

Sal: The player has to email the GM asking for a substitute, the GM then manually switches the active player over. This could potentially cause problems, but it's the only way of doing it I can see which isn't open to abuse...

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:33 pm

korexus wrote:Duke: Where do you get this whole microsoft thing from? The only windows utility I'm using to do WoK On is notepad! A sent orders thing is possible though.
I'm not getting it from anywhere. It just a fun thing to joke about.

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:03 pm

Saladin wrote:
Underdog wrote:

Chris.

Hmm...that's harsh...would it be ok if we just b itch slapped Korexus around a bit? :twisted:

OK but just to be sure you need to post pics of the bruises inflicted then we shall take a vote to ensure he isn't getting off too easily.

I'm sure your resident Lawyer can come up with some kind of legal document allowing the Scholars to slap Korexus around a bit if he screws up.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here