Erm ... Takers Missilemania

All about the online version of classic WOK games.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:29 am

It's well known that Americans don't speak English, we speak American. Ironically, if you consider the international language of business, it's also American much more than English (except in random places like India and Australia where the Brits got kicked out by the natives). I think we should just recognize the inevitable and officially change the name of the language, or at the very least classify it is separate, no? 8)
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:42 am

Do people speak "Proper French," "Proper German," "Proper Spanish," as compared to 30 years ago? 50 years ago? It may not be as drastic as in America but I think most would recognize the large mix of cultures. I agree most people don't know "proper" english, but the rest of us just don't speak it out of habit. I honestly don't see the point in caring about proper english in a setting such as we have here.

Donut

P.S. - I realize I was the one to start it with my pointing out of the u... but that was merely a prod at Kor because I yell at his u's all the time.
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Duke

Post by Duke » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:20 am

*chanting*

US vs The World

US vs The World

I am just so glad that we are back at this topic :D

Btw, the only way to measure if you are correct or incorrect in any language is if you are being understood. The rules are only there to help us but if we manage to make friends/do business/get directions without following the rules then who cares?
First one here, last one to leave.

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:35 am

YYYYYEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A-FREAKING-MEN!!!! I should get you in touch with my a-hole professor who thinks grammar is so important when shooting the ....

Donut

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:39 am

I'm gonna throw this post in here cause I just noticed that Duke is somehow catching back up to me in posts.

Duke

Post by Duke » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:55 am

Lets go Pastry.

Duke

Post by Duke » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:55 am

:spam:

Duke

Post by Duke » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:56 am

Duke

Post by Duke » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:56 am

Duke

Post by Duke » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:57 am

.....and I am ahead. 8)

Duke

Post by Duke » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:31 am

Oh, and please reply to my mails or I'll bomb you into oblivion in Takers game. You know I can since you either spied me out or had some other guy to do that dirtywork for you.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:46 pm

Dameon wrote:I think we should just recognize the inevitable and officially change the name of the language, or at the very least classify it is separate, no? 8)
Seriously speaking, it takes much more than the present differences between American and English to call them separate languages. The differences are in pronunciation and some in vocabulary, but actually, both the UK and the USA, have regions where people use slightly different pronunciation or words than their fellow countrymen. These features constitute dilects, not languages. Thus, American is only a dilect of the English language. :) Sorry. :)

trewqh

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:46 pm

Whichadigia... You didn't bring your truck, whichadigia?

Mayonaisse... Mayonaisse a lot of people here.

:lol:

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:55 pm

I personally view it the other way around, English is a dialect of the American language. A heck of a lot more people speak the "American" dialect than the "English" one, no? :lol:
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Warped Angel
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Warped Angel » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:30 pm

my compliments to who ever it would be that has done this wok online thing it seems pretty slick. :thumbsup:
When injustice is law, resistance is duty

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:34 am

I'm a Chump

Donut

Protput
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Protput » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:38 am

There are also more people from Brazil speaking Portuguese than people from Portugal, but they don't call it Brazilian?

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:12 am

Dameon wrote:I personally view it the other way around, English is a dialect of the American language. A heck of a lot more people speak the "American" dialect than the "English" one, no? :lol:
You're right, but probably even more people use English in India than in the USA. And they also have their own dilect. So, according to your arguement the language should be called Hindu or something. How about that? :)

trewqh

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:28 am

SWACK! SWACK!!

*Calidus smacks Protput and Trewq for encouraging the masses*
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:06 pm

trewqh wrote:
Dameon wrote:I personally view it the other way around, English is a dialect of the American language. A heck of a lot more people speak the "American" dialect than the "English" one, no? :lol:
You're right, but probably even more people use English in India than in the USA. And they also have their own dilect. So, according to your arguement the language should be called Hindu or something. How about that? :)

trewqh
I think by sheer numbers, if you look at the language taught in places like Japan, China, and other major political players more people do speak American than English. Also, as far as I am aware, English isn't the primary language in India; whereas American is the primary language in the US. In re to Portugese, Protput, I do think that perhaps it should be called Brazilian yes. It's all relative I suppose; basically we're arguing semantics here as what we are looking at is simply dialects of the same language. What the language should be called is pretty irrelevent overall in the grand scheme of things.