Ratings.

All about the online version of classic WOK games.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:03 pm

As in most cases, you can only try to please the majority here Chris - you wont get everyone to agree on ratings and rules about them.

Which leads me to believe that - in the end - not much will change when it comes to ratings rules. (Not a bad thing)

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:52 pm

Ok then, here's what I suggest doing.

People going M-3 count as RIPed two turns previously from when they went M-3 (ie when they last went M-1) The option of counting players who have gone M-3 over non consecutive turns probably won't be added. (Being supreme dictator has some advantages... :P )

Players won't have a "count me as sending blank orders" button, howver they can send blank orders in about 3 clicks from the kaomaris site. I think this is enough even for really lazy people...

Either every RIP is counted or none. As Donut said the first 5 is a bit arbitrary and very annoying. I can see no reason why killing someone early on makes you a better player than killing someone later in the game. If anything, it's the other way round. Nick's argument about RIP bonuses has some merit, if we didn't count them at all the people who had high ratings would be the people who stayed alive in games, not the people who got 2 quick RIPs then died. Hoewever I know the rating system was introduced to make all the people who can't play feel better about themselves (You guys already turned this thread into a flamer, I might as well join in! :twisted: ) so maybe counting all of them is an option so the "more agressive" players don't get penalised...

The numbers may as well stay the same. We would probably have to reset the current table though.

Any thoughts?

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

TK
Trooper
Trooper

Post by TK » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:50 pm

Late RIPs could be problematic. Players may extend the game just to get a RIP bonus.

I think thats why we said only 5 count.

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:52 pm

Screw the RIP bonus. Maybe keep track of RIP's, but no need for a bonus for it.
It's not fast unless its got a fart can.

TK
Trooper
Trooper

Post by TK » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:37 pm

I agree with Raw.

What I would like to see is an "Aggression Rating", giving the average number of RIPs a player gets per game. I know Korexus and Xarfei like this idea too.

For example an AR of 1 means you kill an average of one player per game.

Other interesting stats should become available with WOOKIE too.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:52 pm

More stats are definitely cool. Keeping track of missed turns or quits or average number of turns a player survives. :D
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:57 pm

Agression ratings are quite possible, as 'WoK records' (most missiles fired per turn, highest level of armies, etc) which I think would make the game more interesting.

I'm still not convinced a game would get stretched out much if we counted all RIP bonuses. After all a player who knows he's lost can always go M-3, thus denying any bonus and it's not a chore for the GM to run turns any more even if the game does get dragged out a bit.

That being said, I count 3 votes for no RIP bonus (Raw, TK, Nick) 2 for change of some form (Donut and myself) and none for all RIP bonuses or the current system. Any time TK, Nick and Raw agree on something we have to be onto a good thing but does anyone else have a view?

TK
Trooper
Trooper

Post by TK » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:03 pm

While we are on the issue, how are WOOKIE games brought to an end? A vote of some sort?

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:18 pm

Why does it matter if a game is extended to get another RIP bonus? GM's aren't required to run WOK4 games. As is now, if a player is going to concede, it's most likely that they are dead already, and will be killable in probably a turn, max 2. Like Korexus said, they can just go M-3 making it only extend the game by 3 turns.

I'm for making every RIP worth a bonus.

Korexus: M-3's are already counted as you suggested (positioned by the first turn they missed).

Another word of warning. Remember that all "Easy" changes in Wookie also have to be implemented in WOK5. Which, means that GM's will have to keep track and send results to me (or more likely I'll end up doin them myself). Let's not make a change that will increase work.

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm

Yup, I just added that feature for this turn.

At the bottom of a turn report, players will find a small form. They choose two players or one player and 'solo win' from two select boxes and click on the 'call for a vote' button.

If someone does that, the commentary is updated to mention that the vote has been called and the form changes to an 'agree / disagree' option. If every active player chooses to agree with the vote then the game is ended, the status is set to finished and Josh gets spammed. If someone chooses not to vote or votes not to continue then the game will carry on as normal.

I've called for a vote to split the beta game between myself and Xarfei. As soon as AF realises he's dead we can test the system. :twisted:

TK
Trooper
Trooper

Post by TK » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:15 am

Donut wrote:Why does it matter if a game is extended to get another RIP bonus? GM's aren't required to run WOK4 games.
Yes, but...
Donut wrote:Another word of warning. Remember that all "Easy" changes in Wookie also have to be implemented in WOK5.
Lets say me and AF have once again crushed everyone else in a WOK5 game ( :wink: ), but three other players remain alive, on 6 provinces each, but having no real strength.

We can either claim the win, and end it there.

OR

We can play on, taking a load more time, making the GM run more turns, until we get the RIP bonuses for our ratings.

It would be a great waste of GM time if these RIPs counted and we had to chase people around the map for 5 turns.

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:17 am

Ahhh... but you would only get 3 :wink:
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Post by Undertaker » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:53 am

I don't mind RIP bonuses if they're earned. :twisted: Am I making myself clear? :P
"That's a good question. Let me see...In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked." Hunter S. Thompson

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:28 am

TK wrote:
Lets say me and AF have once again crushed everyone else in a WOK5 game ( :wink: ), but three other players remain alive, on 6 provinces each, but having no real strength.

We can either claim the win, and end it there.

OR

We can play on, taking a load more time, making the GM run more turns, until we get the RIP bonuses for our ratings.

It would be a great waste of GM time if these RIPs counted and we had to chase people around the map for 5 turns.

But for the game to end at that point, those three people would have to know they couldn't win and agree to a vote. Not hugely likely.

If all three of them know that even working together they can't win then they can just stop sending in orders meaning the GM has to run at most three more turns and you have to move quickly if you're going to get your RIP bonuses.

Just like UT, I have no problem with RIP bonuses, I just fail to see why the first few are worth points and the later ones, which are probably harder to get, aren't. All or nothing I say and I still haven't heard anyone saying they want all...

@Donut, I know that M-3s are set up like that currently, but I thought it was worth mentioning for clarification because I suggested possibly changing it...