New Beta game!

All about the online version of classic WOK games.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:46 am

OK now bear with me on this.

Going back to missiles:

If we make them aimable, we would obviously have to change the formula. currently it is EFF=chance to hit something.

so if we make them aimable the formula would have to be EFF/4=chance to hit.
That would be the only way to keep ANY semblance of balance in the game.

BUT what if we gave players a choice?

We let them take thier chances with random hits.
OR
We let them aim With a formula something like EFF/5(or even6)=chance to hit.

It would make ALOT of people think twice about aiming missiles unless they REALLY wanted to only hit what they were aiming at.

given an EFF of 99%

You would go from a random chance with an average 25% chance to hit say armies down to a 20% chance to hit armies but would know that all the missile weren't gonna destroy the def of the province so you could defend easier. or you could aim at the tech and leave the rest alone if you knew the player was accumulating Tech for a trade.

I don't know if that idea has been brought up in any of your discussions, but I think it would be an interesting idea. We all know that most players are HOPING for their missiles to hit armies when they launch them, but is it THAT important that you would take the lower percentage, to try to aim something that is inherently random.

Just a thought.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Saladin

Re: New Beta game!

Post by Saladin » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:06 am

Raw wrote:My comments...for what they are worth:
korexus wrote: Level bonus given to troops from Workers as been reduced to 0.003 (from 0.005).
Level bonus given to attacking troops after a fight has been increased to 0.006 (up from 0.003).
I like the added bonus for attacking, but why take away from leveling. By lowering the level amount per worker you basically took away any reason to level. You'd be better off just trading 200 tech per turn. I think by just adding the bonus for attacking you helping the anti-sleeper. A few players have found ways to get around sleepers (ask Hannibabble how to do it) but buy doing this you are eliminating a strategy of the game.

-Raw
I agree fully with Raw here. Leveling up is now not really an option any more. I'm a big fan of improving the level bonus for attacks even further. I would suggest putting it up to 0.01 instead of just to 0.006. But level aim should not be lowered t0 0.003 that's way too much. I would suggest leaving it at 0.005 or if the majority of people here feel that it should be lowered a bit set it at 0.004, but 0.003 is way too low.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:53 am

Im leaning towards 0.004 for level also, but let our "math department" (the strongest department within WOK if you didnt know) come up with some reasoning behind the numbers first.

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:07 am

gm_al wrote:Im leaning towards 0.004 for level also, but let our "math department" (the strongest department within WOK if you didnt know) come up with some reasoning behind the numbers first.
I have the best reasoning possible. Our patented random number generator - A.L. came up with 0.003. :roll:
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Xarfei
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Xarfei » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:53 pm

Only 5 signups so far...!? Shouldn't we get this beta-game started asap?

Come on, sign up!

BigJOzzy
Trooper
Trooper

Post by BigJOzzy » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:26 am

I agree everyone get with it, we can't test it if we don't have a full game.
Mathematician is someone who knows that if three people walk into an empty room and five people walk out, then two more people need to walk in to the room to make it empty again.

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:05 pm

Come on, we have 8 sign ups and I'm assuming Josh will play, so we only need one more person for a full slate!

Chris.

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:26 pm

10 players and I've run turn 0. Everyone should be able to reach their reports through the lobby. Let me know if there's any problems.

I'll probably run turns every couple of days, but we're just putting the engine through its paces so don't worry too much about your orders! :P

Chris.

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Post by Undertaker » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:13 pm

korexus wrote:10 players and I've run turn 0. Everyone should be able to reach their reports through the lobby. Let me know if there's any problems.
Yeah, I haven't recieved turn 8 from the Champs yet.
"That's a good question. Let me see...In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked." Hunter S. Thompson

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:04 am

I emailed everyone saying it would be a day late, it's now around an hour overdue and I'm about to run it. Have some patience! :wink:

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Post by Undertaker » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:01 am

korexus wrote:I emailed everyone saying it would be a day late, it's now around an hour overdue and I'm about to run it. Have some patience! :wink:
Just little wink-wink, nudge-nudge, know what I mean-know what I mean? :P
"That's a good question. Let me see...In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked." Hunter S. Thompson

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:01 am

Couple notes...

1. Deadlines should be set and displayed somewhere.
2. E-mails should be sent to notify that the turn has run.... or THAT THE GAME HAS STARTED!!!!
3. E-mails need to be added the game page.
4. Ummm.... and Donut's shouldn't be placed near 2 scholars in a game that isn't gonna have diplomacy...

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:51 pm

1) Deadlines are now set and displayed (after rather more effort than was expected...) Currently the GM can't change time between turns after he sets it at the start of a game, but I'll do something about that at some point.

2) Emails are now sent when a turn runs. I guess you'll want links and all that sort of stuff?

3) Emails can be displayed on a page too I guess. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

4) a) There's an entire section of code dedicated to giving Donut a bad starting position, I don't want to throw it out now it's working so well!

4) b) Who says there's no diplomacy? :wink:

Feed back on the SAOF would also be appreciated. Is it likely to help n00bs or just confuse them more? Also is it unobtrusive enough not to annoy experienced players?

Chris.

BigJOzzy
Trooper
Trooper

Post by BigJOzzy » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:36 am

Well that is good that you will notify us, if I hadn't read the boards yesterday I wouldn't have know it had starteted. I sent in my turn already and it seems to have been fine.

Only one thing, I am use to 'tab' ing through the report to the next line but when it went from one phase to the next it would have to tab through the help and so forth to get to the next phase.....is there anyway to stop that?

Massielita
Mathematician is someone who knows that if three people walk into an empty room and five people walk out, then two more people need to walk in to the room to make it empty again.

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:09 am

If you haven't clicked on a help button, then the help for that phase doesn't get displayed. This means (in my browser at least) that tab won't take you to that part. This means one extra button push per phase (to leave the help button itself).

It's probably possible to change the order things are cycled in so that the help buttons come up last but I doubt it would be pretty. It's also possible for the help dialogues to be hideable after they've been called up, but I was kinda hoping not to have to do that . :?

Chris.

BigJOzzy
Trooper
Trooper

Post by BigJOzzy » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:58 am

I don't remember hiting a help button, but could have so I will keep my eyes open next time and see how it goes.

Massielita

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:03 pm

I thought I quickly pop in and say congrats to Chris for pulling this stunt off for good this time. EXCELLENT job on WOKO so far !

I saw you even managed to integrate the "Help" buttons within the SAOF, good work there. Submitting orders was a breeze.

A few suggestions:
* display the map when someone opens up the SAOF, as Players often need to look at the map for final confirmation before placing orders
* allow players to send a comment with their orders to the GM ?
* Rename "Game page" to "Game Summary" - makes it more clear what it is all about
* migrate the WOK4 manual (with pointing out all changes regarding to WOKO defaults) as a new block into the lobby
* avoid the red font color on the SAOF... how about yellow ?
* you also worked on the narrative part of the TRs a bit it seems - good, as it contributes to the overall atmosphere when playing the game. Just make sure to replace "you have EFF of 97" with something like "you have an effectiveness of 97%" or even add a little but more explicative text wherever you feel its needed

So when will Rune start the work on the Clan functionality ? :D

Once again, great job, and Im happy you took it so far Chris. EVERYONE should support it - stop playing "common" WOK4 games people and get used to the new breed !

(Now Im trolling back to my WoW (World of Warcraft) cave. As expected the game has put a tight grip on me (and QP for the matter). We are only beaten by Lille who seems to play it on a 24/7 schedule. More on our WoW activities and our own guild in the ChitChat section of the boards)

WOKO on :D

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:00 am

The WOK-ON lobby wrote:GM_Chris's - Beta II. Turn #1, the turn is overdue!

Cripes Jiminny....even the computer is late on running turns too.....

:?

AF
Oh no!!! I'm out of those important papers.......

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:38 pm

Nope... Chris is too busy to push the "Run Turn" button.

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:35 pm

That's right. "Busy" not "Lazy". Everyone bear that in mind. Repeat ten times when you wake up and when you go to bed, "Chris is not lazy, he is just really busy" and we'll all get along fine.

To be honest, I just forgot, of course eventually running the turn will be automated anyway so neve mind. I see a lot of people didn't make the turn though, would some sort of email reminder be a useful feature?

Chris.