New Beta game!

All about the online version of classic WOK games.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

korexus

New Beta game!

Post by korexus » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:27 pm

As of today, everything in WoK-On that I can think of (except house rules which haven't been done at all yet) has been transferred to the 'secure' setting of the Players' Lobby. Also, various changes have been made to try and make WoK-On a more sleek and enjoyable game. First I will tell you the changes...

Level bonus given to troops from Workers as been reduced to 0.003 (from 0.005).
Level bonus given to attacking troops after a fight has been increased to 0.006 (up from 0.003).

Spying player data now has an EFF * Constant (default, 0.5) chance of success, followed by and EFF/2 + 3*spy chance per province of getting the information for that province. Hopefully forcing players to use more spies if they really want that player data.

Sabotaging missiles and Def can now be done long range at 3/4 the normal chance. Each spy can sabotage 0.1 DEF (up from 0.2 per 3 spies) or 2 missiles (down from 3). Stealing POP can also be done long range in the same manner. A successful spy will get 15 POP as before. There is an option to count these last three as headhunting on turn one.

Missiles we left alone in the end...

Post comments/suggestions/praise/death threats here. Also, post if you want to sign up for what will hopefully be the final WoK-On beta game.

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Dameon

Re: New Beta game!

Post by Dameon » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:53 pm

korexus wrote:
Missiles we left alone in the end...

Chris.
Doh, and I was actually close to signing up for my first WOK IV game in ages before I read that. Oh well, no real surprise I suppose. I'd still be happy to run some WOOKIE games once the engine has been shaken down. 8)
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:57 pm

Yeah, it was just too much in one go. The alternative (aimable) script is written if enough people do say they want a change, but as spies can now hit missiles long range and GMs can power up or down the hit rate from missiles however they like anyway we thought it might be best to leave out any more changes for now...

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:05 pm

I'd like to participate in this new WoK adventure....

Any chance for a spot in the beta-test?

AF
Oh no!!! I'm out of those important papers.......

Xarfei
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Xarfei » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:35 pm

I would also be willing to join if needed.

Xarfei

TK
Trooper
Trooper

Post by TK » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:39 pm

Dameon wrote:Doh, and I was actually close to signing up for my first WOK IV game in ages before I read that.

Dont worry Nick - we can keep having our fun in the real game. :wink:

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:41 pm

FYI:

I am attacking Nick this turn just because I can if I want too.

:lol:

Stay tuned for a real flamer...........

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:09 pm

Sign me up for the beta test as well please. Only in one game and that won't last long right Dukie? :twisted:
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:13 pm

Allister Fiend wrote:FYI:

I am attacking Nick this turn just because I can if I want too.

:lol:

Stay tuned for a real flamer...........
Great now I have to change my orders AGAIN. Pat's gonna love this. 8)
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:27 pm

Dameon wrote: Great now I have to change my orders AGAIN. Pat's gonna love this. 8)
Better hurry, you only have an hour or so....... :wink:

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:43 pm

korexus wrote:Level bonus given to troops from Workers as been reduced to 0.003 (from 0.005).
Level bonus given to attacking troops after a fight has been increased to 0.006 (up from 0.003).
Post comments/suggestions/praise/death threats here.
Great job with WOKonline! Just thinking, though, wouldn't the above adjustments encourage "steamrolling"? (i.e., putting together a large army and just attacking as it gains level and becomes unstoppable). :?
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

BigJOzzy
Trooper
Trooper

Post by BigJOzzy » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:19 am

I am also interested in being in the beta test game. And I don't care what the rules are I play reguardless.

Massielta
Mathematician is someone who knows that if three people walk into an empty room and five people walk out, then two more people need to walk in to the room to make it empty again.

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:22 am

Two thumbs up again to Chris for making WOKON a reality - good job !

A few comments:
- changes regarding missiles: seems the WOK community is kinda split on the issue, and to say the truth Im very unsure on the topic for WOKON too. After all there is some charm in random hits and somehow it always went well with WOK4. An option to allow aiming missiles would be cool of course, but I dont feel its really needed.
- balancing: I do not fear steamrolling, as I think we "counter-balanced" it with new spies options and the fact that a GM can so easily setup every value now. Should it turn out that steamrolling gets to be a problem we might want to squeak a few values, but I dont think it will be necessary.

We will see many more steps shifting WOK4 into WOKON once the beta is over, ie. replacing K1 with the new Kaobase K2 or adding more features for the GMs and Clanheads. This will be what I call "Phase 2" of the lobby project and Id like you to be ready to recruit new players when that time comes.

So... sign me up Chris :D

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:32 pm

Steamrolling may become an option, most of the changes were made as a reaction against sleeping, it's very unlikely that we shifted everything to a perfect balance first time. (For example, in my opinion the new spy options are a bit over powered too.)

However, As Al said it is really easy to change settings now. So we should be able to fine tune the game easily enough.

Also. On the subject of missiles. I've written the alternative missiling script, just not uploaded it. What we could do, to try and keep everyone happy, is have both verisons as options in games. The only problem is that the more varied WoK-On games are, the harder it will be for new players to pick up the game...

Chris

Xarfei
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Xarfei » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:16 pm

Maybe use the orginal random missiling for beginner games and have aimable missiles as one
of the "X-game" options for advanced WOKO games.

Xarfei

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:34 pm

I like the randomness of the MIS, it makes the game less predictable.

-Raw
It's not fast unless its got a fart can.

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:01 pm

I agree with Raw and also that there isn't that much luck involved in WoK4 anyways, just pure strategy... :lol:

Come on Nick, join us in a game of WoK4....won't ya?

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:42 pm

Alliter, after I went a couple games where I shot something like 30-40 missiles at max EFF and hit 0 armies, I decided I'd never play WOK IV again. I lost a couple of games and VPs because of the "quaint" randomness of missiles. I'm not into that. Those of you that like more luck and randomness in your games, have fun. I'll stick to WOK V, thanks.

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:11 pm

My comments...for what they are worth:
korexus wrote: Level bonus given to troops from Workers as been reduced to 0.003 (from 0.005).
I like the added bonus for attacking, but why take away from leveling. By lowering the level amount per worker you basically took away any reason to level. You'd be better off just trading 200 tech per turn. I think by just adding the bonus for attacking you helping the anti-sleeper. A few players have found ways to get around sleepers (ask Hannibabble how to do it) but buy doing this you are eliminating a strategy of the game.
korexus wrote: Spying player data now has an EFF * Constant (default, 0.5) chance of success, followed by and EFF/2 + 3*spy chance per province of getting the information for that province. Hopefully forcing players to use more spies if they really want that player data.
I like that idea!
korexus wrote: Sabotaging missiles and Def can now be done long range at 3/4 the normal chance. Each spy can sabotage 0.1 DEF (up from 0.2 per 3 spies) or 2 missiles (down from 3). Stealing POP can also be done long range in the same manner. A successful spy will get 15 POP as before. There is an option to count these last three as headhunting on turn one.
Cool!
korexus wrote:Missiles we left alone in the end...
Like I posted before, I like the randomness of the the MIS. It takes luck and some skill to win almost everything in life....including wok 4.

-Raw

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:16 pm

Dameon wrote:Alliter, after I went a couple games where I shot something like 30-40 missiles at max EFF and hit 0 armies, I decided I'd never play WOK IV again. I lost a couple of games and VPs because of the "quaint" randomness of missiles. I'm not into that. Those of you that like more luck and randomness in your games, have fun. I'll stick to WOK V, thanks.
Didn't you know that if there are no armies in a province you won't hit any :P

-Raw