WOKO - Setting the new standard

All about the online version of classic WOK games.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

gm_al
Creator
Creator

WOKO - Setting the new standard

Post by gm_al » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:32 pm

Now that the first WOKO beta has kicked off let me give you a quick outline on my plans for the near future. Obviously we are moving towards a networked form of online gaming, which means nothing else but professionalisation of what we have to offer you. WOK SP broke the ice a few months ago (and is sure to come back shortly with even more testing madness) and now WOKO is at our doors.

Soon GMs will embrace the new engine and all of its possibilities. With about a hundred parameters that can be tweaked with a mouseclick a new era of Xgames is lurking our way. True not all types of "old" Xgames will be possible to reproduce with WOKO, but Chris and Rune have been working hard and will give you all a set of new tools to keep your wicked GM brains turning :P

Let me just emphasize that we are approaching a new year, and that we look to take the occasion of a new scoring period to fully push WOKO as the new standard WOK4 tool of playing. Does this mean the old WOK4 gets replaced by WOKO ? Hmmm, yes, at least for tournament style of play. No one will stop you to use the old manager to run your fun games or clan test runs, but for scored games I look forward to make WOKO the new standard.

There are several reasonings behind this decision, but most of all it will help us to migrate the users onto a new platform and be MUCH more structurized in everything we do within WOK. WOKO is just a part of the new WOK platform, and there is much more coming - a few months from now (if all goes smooth) we will have a living online gaming community and the "next step" will have been taken.

So please make sure to give WOKO all the necessary testruns to allow us to make a good transition come the next scoring period. Enjoy your games ! :P

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:55 pm

This sounds like a step in the right direction for the WOK community, I agree Al. As I don't run WOK 4 games it isn't going to impact me directly, but what I would like to state here is that in the future when WOK 5 goes online I would like the option for GMs to run their own games using the manager to still be available, if only for X-Game purposes. No matter how much work goes into the online game there's no way for y'all to think of every possible rule permutation, and if GMs want to put in some extra work and come up with an X-Game that could not be run online I don't see that it should be forbidden. Of course all normal games, and a good number of X-Games, will be able to be run online, but I doubt we'll ever come to the point where every single game that a GM could imagine would have that possibility. 8)
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:06 pm

:pure evil: :sniper: :flamer:

Oh dear, here we go!

For what it's worth, Nick, I agree with you 100% on this issue. Good luck convincing Al though...
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:03 pm

:roll: *yeah, of course*

I dont disagree with you guys, just announcing that WOKO will be the new standard GM tool. And the same would go for any online tool replacing WOK5 - one day...

If a GM wishes to continue to do the job by hand (you know which job I mean... :oops: ) why not. It will be harder to have it advertised within the new system though, and the old "GM went MIA" or "GM lost the data" problem still will be there, but of course its the players choice to take part in a game - or not.

The new K2 must therefore include a field for "Online/Offline" for every game in the database. And every GM, including those GMing just offline games, must register as GMs in the new system.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:21 am

Hey I agree with you on running the games online if at all possible, it's clearly the preferrable method. I just don't want to give up all my entertaining X-Games I run, which will be making a comeback someday, once I take a missile launcher and blow up Verizon headquarters. :x

BTW Al, I've been meaning to comment on your avatar....the Gatekeeper. Cute, very cute. Admittedly somewhat obscure, but I like it. 8)
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

TK
Trooper
Trooper

Post by TK » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:48 am

Dameon wrote:BTW Al, I've been meaning to comment on your avatar....the Gatekeeper. Cute, very cute. Admittedly somewhat obscure, but I like it. 8)
I have that game too.

Dunno if "cute" is the word!!

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:14 pm

Well "Dark Monk" has always been my Alter Ego, so the pic is there for a reason :P

I must admit Im surprised that in every new MMO I look the name "Dark Monk" is already taken by someone else... forces me to use "Da Brainbug" or "Anubys" grrrrr...