Test Game

All about the online version of classic WOK games.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:32 am

Turn 2 has run and I'm noticing serious bugs in my turn report.

My personal theory is that Rune updated something and didn't tell me! :P I guess we have to wait and see to know the other side of the story. I'm fsr too tireed to hunt down problems now...

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran
Location: Aalesund, Norway (freezing!). Member of the Vulkings

Post by Mullog » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:42 am

There is a serious problem with my turn report! Somehow I ended up with no provinces! :shock:
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:09 am

Mine is back to front and inside out. I hope there aren't as many spy jobs on me as it appears!!!!!!!!!
Question everything.

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:34 am

Ok Turn#3 and guess what - my submitted orders have yet again NOT be processed.

Its getting a bit old, I thought we were meant to "play" in the beta... :cry:

And yes, I got a confirmation screen (with a nice db error) when submitting them. Oh, and nice work on the colors. :wink:

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran
Location: Aalesund, Norway (freezing!). Member of the Vulkings

Post by Mullog » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:56 am

gm_al wrote:And yes, I got a confirmation screen (with a nice db error) when submitting them. Oh, and nice work on the colors. :wink:
Did you do what you are supposed to do when you get an error message? Did you make a copy of it and send it to me or Chris? Probably not... :P

What was the message?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:35 am

My orders also weren't processed this turn, you're not alone! :wink:

I made some changes to the AOF last night, so that previously sent orders would be visible when you load it. It's possible that I deleted something useful by accident...

Chris.

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:47 am

Ok, found it.

There was a slight confusion in the lobby link pointing to the AOF, so Al and myself actually sent orders for next turn. I've fixed that now (I hope!) This does suggest that most people are still using the old links as their orders were processed. Please use the lobby (link on the left, just below forums) as we need to test that too!

Chris.

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:13 am

So, the aof from the lobby works fine but if you go to the game page then the aof is a blank screen. For me thats not as nice as from the game screen you can bring up the turn, the map and the aof all at once in 3 separate screens which makes doing the orders way easier. In order to do that now I have to go through the kaomaris site 3 times.
Question everything.

Validon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Validon » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:15 am

Hmmmmm, you made some changes to the AOF??????? :?
I went to the Lobby to put my orders in and I cannot see the whole AOF page. When I click on the link to put my orders in the page that pops up says AOF but that is about all there is no area to put orders on.

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:42 am

There was a silly-stupid mistake in my html which meant the game page wasn't telling the AOF which turn to load orders from. That is now fixed.

Lardmaster, Al's current plan is to have the AOF etc inserted into the lobby without replacing the other stuff so everything will work ok. For now, you can use rightclick->open in new window and only go throught the kaomaris site once! :P

Validon, The lobby link works fine for me (and Lardmaster it would seem) this sounds like the same problem as was happening with viewing the map and everything before. Have you checked Norton?

Chris.

Validon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Validon » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:26 pm

Got Norton off. I can enter orders now so something must have just been acting up or maybe someone was in there fooling around with it while I was trying to put in my orders.

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:28 pm

Yes, final aim is to have everything integrated within the site framework. There is nothing to stop you from right-clicking a link and opening it in a new window though.

Regarding firewalls and virus scans make sure to have the WOK domain put into the whitelists.

Chris plz use my Turn#3 orders for Turn#4 then. :P

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:00 am

Al, I've just been and looked for your orders. I can't find anything submitted for player 7 on turns 1, 2, 3, or 4!

Can you confirm, when you look at the AOF, the address bar should read http://www.kaomaris.com/wok4online/aof. ... PlayerNR=7

This is getting odd... What was the error message you got when submitting orders?

Chris.

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:00 am

I can confirm the AOF now displays me as Player#7. However there are other things I noticed:
- when clicking on the text version of the TR it still claims Im Player #8 (although it displays the player #7 report fine)
- after submitting orders I get a button to go back to the game page - but I came from the lobby...
- the "view player report" from the game page should display the text version of the TR, not the colored lobby one
- as long as the game page isnt displayed within the lobby framework and design a click on "Goto game page" (which should be in a separate line btw) should display as a new page
- WOK Online, WOK5 and WOK SP should be separate blocks in the lobby - when clicking to view the TR it should just display the blocks WOK ONLINE / Turn report for... / and the TR itself. Everything else can be accessed by clicking on the "lobby" link and doesnt need to be shown again

Looking forward to see my first orders in action ! :P

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:56 am

gm_al wrote:I can confirm the AOF now displays me as Player#7. However there are other things I noticed:
- when clicking on the text version of the TR it still claims Im Player #8 (although it displays the player #7 report fine)
When you say "claims you're player 8", what do you mean?
gm_al wrote: - after submitting orders I get a button to go back to the game page - but I came from the lobby...
There is only one AOF submitter, which I meade before there was a lobby. I can replace the word "back" with the word "view" if you really want, but this is a nit-pick which can surely wait!
gm_al wrote: - the "view player report" from the game page should display the text version of the TR, not the colored lobby one
Might be worth getting the plain text version working first though... :wink:
gm_al wrote: - as long as the game page isnt displayed within the lobby framework and design a click on "Goto game page" (which should be in a separate line btw) should display as a new page
Not too hard, but if we're going to put the link back into the same page later on, why not just ask our faithful beta testers to open-in-new-window themselves?
gm_al wrote: - WOK Online, WOK5 and WOK SP should be separate blocks in the lobby - when clicking to view the TR it should just display the blocks WOK ONLINE / Turn report for... / and the TR itself. Everything else can be accessed by clicking on the "lobby" link and doesnt need to be shown again
Just out of interest, what are other peoples' thoughts on the lobby? The more I think about it, the less I like the idea to be honest. It may make viewing your own games marignally easier.
(Lobby->Game Name->View Game/Report/Map as opposed to Games->Game- Name (from a longer list)->View Game->View Report)
But we'd still need something along the lines of the old 'view all games' if people want to look at games in which they're not playing. Doesn't that make the lobby kinda, well, redundant? :?
gm_al wrote: Looking forward to see my first orders in action ! :P
Did you actually get any in this time? - There is now an easy way to check, simple open the AOF page again, if the orders come up there then they are in the database :)

Chris.

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:27 pm

Here is what I mean - it says when I click on the text version:
"SELECT DISTINCT PlayerNR FROM nuke_wok_game_players WHERE GameID=82 AND PlayerID=8" but I am PlayerID=7... (it displays player 7 though so no big worries)

Dont worry about the lobby concept, and try to see it within a bigger picture. The lobby is like the "home" place for users, a central point of access where they manage everything they do and all interests within WOK. WOKO is just one piece of the puzzle there really, and the lobby is NOT about saving one click at some time. Viewing all games or doing other stuff is not excluded from it - so trust me on this, in the end it will all fit together very well :P I will make sure to streamline all actions from users once we have the architecture to support it - may sound like nitpicking often (sorry about this), but from my daily work I know a lot when it comes down to making GUIs "useable" - after all we develop large pieces of software at work, software that is often used by thousands of people - even if its mobile software. The small display and reduced ways of input on a mobile make it even harder to produce "good" applications there.

And yes, I submitted orders again 8) and of course I checked by calling up the AOF a second time. Reminds me to tell that something along "17 orders submitted for next Turn" would be a good addition for the lobby :P

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:36 pm

That 8 is your player ID, not your player number. :) When you enter the game, your ID is taken from the members database, this is the easiest way to make sure you use your own name and clan, etc. You must have been the 8th person to sign up for the boards...

Chris.

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:03 am

I've run the next turn. There was an issue with changing aims, so your turn report will look a bit funny. (The programme ran the turn through until it hit the problem, then crashed, so most of the first turn report is at the beginning of the second one...)

Also, 7 spy attempts were made on me and they all failed. Could the guilty parties please raise a sheepish hand so I can look into that. - I'm not normally that lucky...

Chris.

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:08 pm

Lots of changes made, but hopefully you won't notice many of them!
The GM now has the ability to re-run a turn. Hopefully that won't be needed, but it makes sense to have it there just in case...

The result of this is that all the game pages need a turn number specified when they load. If players are still using the links I sent them, theywill need to add &TurnNR=11 to the end of the address in order to view the game page. All the links excpet the lobby link to the game page should work fine and I hope Rune will update that soon! :P

A couple more, fun, bugs came up, allowing you to spy and attack provinces with no spies/armies as long as you had at least one unit in the province. They have now been stomped on. And also I found the bug which caused spying orders to be ignored. That means I win the prize! :)

Unless anyone has any other problems that they've noticed, there are now no known bugs in the programme, meaning I can get on with making the reports more readable, plain text turn reports and themed reports. (In that order)

Keep testing guys :D

Chris.

Validon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Validon » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:32 pm

On my newest turn report there is a bit of a problem. In the transformation faze it gives me an error message of "Malformed order, (invalid transform type), order ignored" when I tried to transform workers into population. It still worked but it did give me that message.