Coming up: the WOK LOBBY and WOK ONLINE beta !!

All about the online version of classic WOK games.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:57 am

I second that about the good work.

Altough I have to side with Al here. 1.000 is better then just 1. And it matters.

I think I use the same browser as Al an MI and SP are waaay over to the right. Fix it por favor cos I am not switching to IE just because of that. :roll:
First one here, last one to leave.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:52 am

Call me old fashioned but i like having the turn report as a .txt file. It makes for easy storage and when i want to view it', it opens in notepad isntead of the memory hungry IE. And even more importantly, i like making changes in the turn report based on what i'm going to do and that's not (as easily) possible with a silly html file.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:51 pm

Saladin;

Go to a turn report,
click edit,
click select all,
click edit,
click copy,
Open Notepad,
click edit,
click paste,
click file,
click save.

If you can cope with pressing buttons you can do it even faster by using the keyboard! I am *not* re-writing all the code to output a text file just for you!

Al, Duke. I'm working on it...
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:36 pm

Ooh...i touched a nerve there i guess.

The reason i asked is because your way doesn't work (like i hadn't tried that before). If you copy paste it in to notepad you get crap like this:

Code: Select all

#ID NAME POP WOK AIM ARM LEVEL DEF MI SP 
======================================================================== 
49 Caock 138 12 DEF 0 1 0.7 0 0 
50 Nirtaram 81 12 DEF 5 1.819 0.7 0 0 
54 Olparde 104 24 DEF 0 1 2.1 0 5 
======================================================================== 
3 provinces 323 48  5 1.818 a 1.1 a 0 5 
Which isn't exactly usable.

Especially when you refuse to use the right notation for the level of the armies. :roll:

The way it is now it's not workable. :cry:
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:04 pm

Ok, I *might* sort out the spacing so that it reads better in plain text. (I didn't do this before because extra spaces in html just get lost anyway...)

Quite a few updates, player names are now GM definable, as is the game name. (They were set to defaults before.) There is now a RIP check when attacking and you are informed in the TR if you kill or were killed by someone. The RIPed by column on the game page doesn't yet display this information, but it does do scores now!

Also, I've tried to sort out Al and Duke's complaint, but don't have Opera to test it, could someone who does let me know how this page looks?
http://www.kaomaris.com/wok4online/view ... 2&player=2

Thanks,

Chris.

PS, I'm going away now, I'm back late Saturday so don't expect any more fixes till then. Keep posting them if you find them though!

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:24 pm

Ooooh yes!!! Way to go. It is much worse now than before. :)

Before everything was fine in the start of the TR but MI and SP way to the right at the end.

Now it is screwed up from the get go. MI and SP are even further (I think) to the right and we have silly spacing all over the place.

Is it easier if I switch to IE? :)
First one here, last one to leave.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:27 pm

korexus wrote:Ok, I *might* sort out the spacing so that it reads better in plain text. (I didn't do this before because extra spaces in html just get lost anyway...)
YAY Korexus! :D

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:35 pm

Uhm - if its HTML how about making it white on black and add a few other color codings.

Regarding spacings - maybe make the stats as a table with borders all the way, that could help. But then the copy/paste for the pure text guys would be harder I guess...

And again, make level 1 read "1.000" pleeeeease...

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:43 pm

White on black makes my eyes hurt.

The stats (and fight results) are produced as tables (which is what causes the problems for the text guys) - Does the information for a fight come up weird for you Opera guys too? - If I knew what was causing it, things might be easier to fix!

Levels are currently handled purely as a variable, PHP will just cut off extra 0s, I'm sure that there is a way to force the number of decimal places though, I'll look into it when I get home tomorrow. (funtion: round() I believe, but I've never actually used that one, so confirmation from someone who has (Oi! Rune!) could save a lot of time...) I assume you want DEF to be displayed in that format too, except to always have 1 dp?

I'd rather not have borders round the tables, their only set up that way for ease of spacing, I think they read better as seperate lines. - It might be a worth while thing to do in order to find out why some lower quality browsers can't view the reports properly though! :P

Rune suggested having the map at the bottom of the turn report, what do people think of this? Once everything is set up properly it would be possible for a player to be told when a new turn has run (in the same way as private messages now) and click on a link to go straight to the turn report. - I know I prefer reading the report before seeing the map...

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:16 pm

format short

Your Welcome
Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:10 pm

I think you'll find that's MATLAB...

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:56 pm

Didn't know Bryk had a laboratory? Ah so that's what those strange smells and explosions comming from the cellar are!

Or it could be Korexus and Xarfei playing one of their drinking games. :roll: