GM Josh - The Wanderer

All about the online version of classic WOK games.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:49 am

Josh, I just looked at this turn for the Wanderer and have to say, I don't think it's fair on Fredo for you to mark me as "Concede".

I was mad as hell in Tenaria when you let Dameon go quit in one turn instead of M-1, M-2, M-3, but that only denied me a ratings boost. Here, with four M-3s already in place there is an extra VP at stake. If you set me to M-2 this turn and M-3 next then LF has 2 chances to hold onto that extra VP, which I think he deserves...

Just my opinion of course.

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:57 pm

Korexus, why not just tell Josh you aren't sending in orders any more, but you'd prefer not to go M-whatever every turn? I've done that a few times and had it done by players in games I have GMd. Usually if somebody is down to a few provinces that literally have nothing in them and they cannot do anything but don't want to get markes as QUIT, they can just say "I've played my game, but have no chance now...I am not going to send in orders anymore." That doesn't mean they are actually missing the turn.....and if a GM said it did then it's easy enough for that player to send them a blank AOF every turn, if a bit pointless.

Also for the record f players want to quit flat out due to GM incompotence (which seems to be a theme in Josh's games, no?) then I don't think there's anything wrong with the GM allowing them to do that.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:00 pm

Ok first off... Thank you Nick. In my opinion if a player is defeated and doesn't send orders for the remainder of a game, I don't think that that should be allowed to decrease the number of VP's. I believe that being almost dead is a lot different from disappearing in the middle of a game. I've thought this on several occasions where players have threatened to go M-3 in order to make them 5 quits.

2nd: Screw you Nick. You're the only person to ever quite one of my games due to "incompotence" on my part. Being that the reason you quit was because you disagreed with my decision to re-run a turn. The only other person that has voiced a problem with my GMing is Duke, and I'm still on speaking terms with him. Why can't you just let this go? You'll never join any of my games again so it's not a problem that you need to deal with. When players think I'm a bad enough GM to not join any game I open, then you may say you were right... until then, shut your pie hole. :matatu:

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:34 pm

To answer your question, Nick. I do want to go M-3. - I want Lord Fredo to have to work at least a little bit for 2 VPs, so if he can't finish me in time I want to count as quit.

My point was that after I emailed Josh, Fredo and Kake to say that this was my intention, Josh marked me as concede right away. It's an acurate description of what I've done, but if I get RIPed this turn or next I don't want any confusion arising over the number of VPs available. In my opinion, it should always take 3 turns to leave a game, no matter why you want to do so.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:14 pm

To me it just sounds like you are making things more complicated than they need to be, Korexus. But whatever, if you want to just go M-3 I don't really see why Josh wouldn't let you. I mean, you could have just not sent in any more orders and gone M-3 the old fashioned way without announcing your intent to Josh right?

And Josh, I call it as I see it. If it weren't for a fact that you just had two more PUBLIC complaints against your GMing (one from Korexus here and one from Duke about not running his orders), I wouldn't have said a word. Granted Duke at least agrees you are doing the right thing in rerunning the turn (as do I, in this case), but the fact remains it was still a mistake. It just seems to me there's a lot more GM mistakes that are talked about here on the boards that involve you than any other GM, that's all. I apologize for drawing conclusions based on the available evidence if it bothers you, though.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:08 am

The reason I emailed Josh and the other two players was to call for a vote to give the game to Fredo. At this point I had three empty provinces and so mentioned that I may as well concede. Kake said he wanted to play on to get some experience at WoK IV, so I just left myself to go M-3 or get RIPed without really caring which. When I noticed that I was marked as 'Concede' however, I thought I should bring the point up in order to avoid arguments later. So much for that as an idea...

I'm not complaining about Josh's handling of this game, just trying to clear up a misunderstanding before it occurs.

TK
Trooper
Trooper

I quote...

Post by TK » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:18 am

Dameon just likes randomly baiting people to see if he can start arguments, really. That's all there is to it. You should really find a more productive hobby, Nick. :roll:

BigJOzzy
Trooper
Trooper

Post by BigJOzzy » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:44 am

Nick you should know that ever GM has people upset with them at one time or another but honest mistakes do happen. And as for as I can see, neither Duke or Korexus have a complaint about Josh so maybe you should just let it be.

Massielita
Mathematician is someone who knows that if three people walk into an empty room and five people walk out, then two more people need to walk in to the room to make it empty again.

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Re: I quote...

Post by Allister Fiend » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:12 am

TK wrote:Dameon just likes randomly baiting people to see if he can start arguments, really. That's all there is to it. You should really find a more productive hobby, Nick. :roll:
Seems I've seen this statement before........maybe not....... :?
Oh no!!! I'm out of those important papers.......

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:53 am

LOL, fair enough TK. Kor, you also said something about getting a TR accidentally earlier and combined with this newere statement perhaps I misinterpreted. What I don't understand is why you brought this up in a public forum instead of contacting Josh directly? By posting it on the boards it appears to me as if you don't have faith in Josh's ability to handle it. That's the impression that I got anyway, I apologize to both you and Josh if I misinterpreted.

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:41 am

Getting a TR accidentally? - Is this more random baiting or are you reading a different thread? It's too early in the morning here. :?

The main reason I brought this up here is to see if anyone else had an opinion on M-3 vs quit. I've been wondering about this lately for WoK-On, I've added a mechanism for people to go M-3, but no other way to quit the game. This was my cunning way of telling Josh what to do and getting you guys to tell me what to do in one post! :P

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:43 am

Oh wait, I get the TR thing.

I didn't get Al's report. I just made one for him. - It was only turn 0 so it didn't take any imagination and Josh was having trouble emailing Al. I then mentioned that here to try and confuse Josh a bit...

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:31 am

Problem solved in this case as Fredo RIPed Korexus but I think we should come up with a standard of some sort. Here's the question:

Should players be allowed to go M-3 to intentionally make the game only worth 1 VP when they are essentially eliminated from the game?

Donut

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:37 am

Take a poll :idea:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:42 am

Poll is up :wink:

As usual, make sure to vote, you old guys ! 8)

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:00 pm

C'mon Al... Rock the Vote. Only us 18-25 year olds matter in the elections remember? :P

Donut

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:06 pm

Donut wrote:Only us 18-25 year olds matter in the elections remember? :P

Donut
Donut must have a mouse in his pocket again..

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:18 pm

hahahaha... hahah... haha... ha...

I don't get it... :roll:

Donut

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:55 pm

Donut wrote: I don't get it... :roll:

Donut
Obviously with how many brothers and sister you have, your dad does.

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:08 pm

Ok... so why do I have one in my pocket?