WHAT TYPE OF WOKKER ARE YOU?

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

What type are you when it comes to reading your Turn Report?

A. I read it as slow reveal, from the beginning to the end, line by line
43%
B. I look at key results or the map to get the overall result, then read the detail of how it happened
52%
C. I have my therapist break it to me gently
5%

Total votes: 21

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

WHAT TYPE OF WOKKER ARE YOU?

Post by Hannibal » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:20 pm

Allister's right that the boards are very quiet. OK, here's a nice inoffensive poll that surely can't lead to a flamer. It's about how you as a player read through your turn reports, because we prob divide into two types....?

I haven't offered an "it depends if it's an eventful turn" option. Assume I mean the eventful turns where a lot happens for you. :D or :cry: .

Me, I'm very much type A. I avoid seeing the map or commentary, and avoid reading mails from allies that start with a subject like"What rotten luck you had this turn", cos I want to read and "savour" the turn report slowly without knowing the general outcome in advance.

I run off a hard copy of the TR, half-close my eyes so that it's too blurry to read ahead till I set it at the table and cover it with a card. Then go get a glass of wine as it sits there waiting. Then move the card down line-by-line, following each missile miss and each round of combat lost, occasionally pausing for another sip of wine and a reflective moment, eg, 'that's used up 26 of my 31 missiles, and I still haven't killed any armies yet, but if all 5 of my remaining missiles kill 5 armies each, I'll still nail those 25 heavies in there, so there's hope yet... :wink: '

Sad, aren't I ? :oops:

I bet some players can't be bothered with all that; quickly scan the vital bits of the TR, eg whether you won the province or not, how many armies survived, what you got from spying, maybe like to look at the map first for the fastest possible overview of whether they swept into those 5 provs or bounced off.

So, everyone answer the poll and we'll see which type is more common! Of course, the poll gives numbers not names, so,hey, also add a post on what type YOU are!! If every player who reads this adds a post, even just "I'm type B", or "I hate polls", it will ALSO serve to tell us how many of us players are actually reading the boards at all!! Join in!! :rockband: :D . No insults allowed in this one!

~ Han
Last edited by Hannibal on Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran
Location: Aalesund, Norway (freezing!). Member of the Vulkings

Post by Mullog » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:01 pm

I am closest to a B.
I scan the turn report first, the I view the game page then I check the details. Then I mail the other players and whine about their luck.

Wine is too expensive and hard to get here in Norway. :(
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

Validon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Validon » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:33 pm

Type A here. Unless I'm in one of Josh's games and I don't get my TR until 24 hrs before the deadline. Then I have to look at the map and the commentary and make a guess as to what happened. 8)

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:59 pm

I usually head out to my garage and grab my frisbee and get ready to roll one u .......................... ah, forget it, I forgot what I was gonna say now...

hmmmm.........:beatnik:

AF
Oh no!!! I'm out of those important papers.......

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:38 pm

I scan the turn report for the final out come of battles and bombing and see what my spies got me. Then i look at the map and wonder why nobody still attacked my closest rivals.

Later on when i'm doing my new turn sheet i look at my turn report more closely to see if there's any information that can help me at all.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:22 pm

I am Type A --- very similar to Hannibal. For the first couple of years of playing, I would print out the turn report, and then go through it line by line at a Starbucks coffee shop, drinking a Mocha Frappacino. I have since given up coffee, but not going through the reports line by line. :)

After reading the report, I print out the map, and then write all of the info for each province. I would be curious to know how many others write out the info on a printout of the map.
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:32 pm

Think of all the poor trees you guys killed just because you don't want to look at text on a computer screen...tsk tsk. :P :P
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:35 pm

Egbert wrote:After reading the report, I print out the map, and then write all of the info for each province. I would be curious to know how many others write out the info on a printout of the map.
I used to do that but it got to be too much hassle so I now just wing it!
Oh no!!! I'm out of those important papers.......

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:24 pm

I think I'm in the Minority here but... I look at the map first. I need the instant gratification.

I read way too slow to be able to enjoy reading the TR's and trying to understand what just happened. It takes me especially long in WOK5 because the TR is way more complicated. I don't think anyone else looks at the map first though, do they?

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:55 pm

Definitely type A for me. I open the turn report and instantly reduce the size of it so I can only see about the first 4 lines then scroll down bit by bit. Don't have a printer so I can't print it out like I used to. (Got the site banned at one job too cos of the amount of time I spent gazing at the maps sorting my turns out.

Next logical question is do you do your orders in the same way you used to? I used to spend hours poring over every scenario with a printout of the map. Nowadays its more a quick "dangnabbit my turn is late best scribble summat quick". Strangely enough my VP return has diminished proportionatley to the amount of time I take over my orders :) There's a moral in there somewhere I just can't quite make out.
Question everything.

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:56 pm

Im very impatient, so I first look at the end of the TR 8)

Then I usually wonder how it comes so many people beat me at my own game....

Of course Egbert has to write all details on his printout, ever wonder why he is unbeaten champ for like a decade now ? :roll:

ThinKing

Post by ThinKing » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:02 am

I am a type A WOKito. :wink:

I dont spend as long as I used to doing my orders/diplomacy. I find that in WOK5 I can usually afford a couple of minor mistakes (e.g. in the movement phase), and that long-term strategy and planning is far more important. I guess thats why I still lose a lot of the time. :wink:

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:07 am

For the most part I am a "B" Wokito.

I scan over the TR to get an idea of what happened to me then check the map to see what happened overall.

NOW:

If it was what I considered a crucial turn I will spend more time on the TR and look at it closer before I bother with the map and comments.

I guess I am both types depending on the circumstances.

NOW: If only someone would open a game so I could exercise those options I would be happy.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Duke

Post by Duke » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:04 am

Type A.

Exactly like Hannibal described with Validons addition for Josh games.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:56 am

Well it's neck-and-neck in this crucial poll, the two options tied at 7 all, plus an Allister.

Hmm, I can see a "Type War" game brewing, along the lines of a clan war......! Let's see, the type A's would have Egbert, Thin King, Duke, Validon and Lardmaster, with me as substitute if one went on vacation. The type B's would have Al, Saladin, Donut, Mullog and Underdog. Allister as a neutral would have to GM :lol: .

Only joking. :D

We'd have to find a "type name" for each side. Probably the AR's versus the LTS's........I invite guesses as to what AR and LTS stand for, probably a race between Thin King and Korexus for that! (Unless the much-missed Bryk looks in again, and beats them to the punch, as he did on the Gen Disc/Kaomaris Puzzles thread.....!)

~ Han

PS. 15 people voted and 12 people posted, so 3 people voted without posting? Hey guys, the missing three, say something, if only so that we know who's listening! Join in, if only with a post of 2 or 3 words !! :rockband:
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Lord Fredo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lord Fredo » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:14 am

Yeah, yeah ... I voted, and I am definetely a type B. I like to get an overall idea of what happended before I go into the details.
Oh and don't worry about it. I'm allways listening,allways and I can hear it all, all I say! Muhahaha! *cough* :vanish:

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Post by Undertaker » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:35 am

Hannibal wrote: PS. 15 people voted and 12 people posted, so 3 people voted without posting? Hey guys, the missing three, say something, if only so that we know who's listening! Join in, if only with a post of 2 or 3 words !! :rockband:
I voted, I choose B. I prefer to see what happened in general, before I get into any details.
"That's a good question. Let me see...In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked." Hunter S. Thompson

Duke

Post by Duke » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:10 pm

Hannibal wrote: Hmm, I can see a "Type War" game brewing, along the lines of a clan war......! Let's see, the type A's would have Egbert, Thin King, Duke, Validon and Lardmaster, with me as substitute if one went on vacation. The type B's would have Al, Saladin, Donut, Mullog and Underdog. Allister as a neutral would have to GM :lol: .
This would be an unbelivable cakewalk for the A-team. We need Mr.T (Tbert) in our team as well for the A-team to be complete.

/D.

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:35 pm

Egbert...I use to do that also.

-Raw
It's not fast unless its got a fart can.

Polymorphic
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Polymorphic » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:37 pm

I look at the map first.

You get to see what happened (to everyone) in a fraction of the time it takes to read through a turn report.
A read through the commentary also helps then, sometimes GMs let little things slip there ;)
Then I glance at the end of the TR - to see what I have left...
Only then do I read through the details, mainly only to see what troops people have left from my (frequent) failled attacks, and to see if my spies are doing their jobs :)