Kaomaris Puzzles

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Kaomaris Puzzles

Post by Hannibal » Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:11 pm

Conundrum:

What clan is grossly gross?

I suspect Korexus, and others, will get it straight away........and posting the solution might spoil it for others? So, answer by private mail first, pls, and I'll post who got it later.

~ Han
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:57 pm

LOLOL- classic! I don't think that the clan head of the clan in question would appreciate having his clan called grossly gross, but if you ask me, it's appropriate enough. 8)
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:45 pm

OK, another:

Chinese sous-chefs.

Remember - don't post the answer, might spoil it for others. Private mail or email.

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Duke

Post by Duke » Tue May 11, 2004 8:03 pm

Dont get it. Grossly Gross? That isnt even pig-latin. Remember, I have a hard time understanding The Streets and they dont even have a thick accent. I once met some guy from Hull and I couldnt understand a word...blablabla *wanders off babbling to himself*
First one here, last one to leave.

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Wed May 12, 2004 1:56 am

Duke, most likely he means the Square of 144 for the Grossly gross riddle. :lol:
Oh no!!! I'm out of those important papers.......

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed May 12, 2004 5:42 am

Ahhh, and now I also understad why it amused Nick.
First one here, last one to leave.

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Wed May 12, 2004 7:52 am

grossly gross, thats pish hannibal, reeeaalllyyy pish

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Tue May 18, 2004 12:55 pm

Lowebb wrote:grossly gross, thats pish hannibal, reeeaalllyyy pish
Yes, AF has given it away. Square of 144 = 144x144 = grossxgross = grossly gross

Lowebb,
I'm sure you realise no offence was intended. If the English word for a dozen dozen (144) had been, say, a "strong", then the riddle would have been "What clan is strongly strong?" - and Dameon would probably have said it was a poor riddle!

Bryk, Korexus, TK and Underdog (and AF) all solved it.

Only Kor and Underdog solved the second one, "Chinese sous-chefs", or only they bothered to reply that they had. To put legions of you out of your misery at not solving it, I've worked the answer into an edit of the first post in the "The Vulkings are coming" thread, in the clanstuff forum, my post dated 29 March 2004. The answer is the last three words in the post. (If I'd posted the answer in a new post, then some would read the answer before the question, hence the ruse of using the edit of an old post - my equivalent of the answer being findable at the foot of page 30.)

Now, Korexus said they weren't difficult enough. (I tried to explain that they were meant for fun rather than challenge, and they could hardly be fun if most people couldn't get them......).

SO, just to distract Kor from his finals, here are two new, harder ones:

3) Recurrent shrubbery?

4) A thin coating of Ivory?

Both are "fair", in that when you see the answer, you'd say it was hard but crackable.

For the rest of you that have a Real Life, you should probably give these two a miss, and just let Korky agonise over them.....unless you want to beat him to the punch.....

~ Hannibal

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Tue May 18, 2004 1:03 pm

No I wasnt offended, I'm thick skinned, I am merely pointing out it wasnt very good ;)

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Tue May 18, 2004 1:04 pm

Oh, and maybe someone can tell everyone else the reference, why I've given Korexus the nick of "Korky"? Probably only another Brit......

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Tue May 18, 2004 1:12 pm

Lowebb wrote:No I wasnt offended, I'm thick skinned, I am merely pointing out it wasnt very good ;)
Hmmm. Mine was the nicest of apologies just in case the riddle was accidentally offensive, for no more reason than the pun on the word gross. You wouldn't be saying it "wasn't very good" if you weren't offended. In what way "not very good"? Man, you try to turn friends into enemies.......!!! You seem to have a very thin skin and look to take offence where none was remotely intended! As I said, if the word for 144 had been a "strong", the riddle would have been "strongly strong", just a play on words.

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Tue May 18, 2004 2:30 pm

Right if I understood the half of that, I might be able to response. From what I get you are saying I was annoyed. Nope, if someone tells a bad joke you tell them it wasnt very good, in the same way I said your puzzle was pish. Are you sure its not you who is taking offense to my bluntness, for which I apologise for :lol:

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Tue May 18, 2004 5:01 pm

True. If you had, you might.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Tue May 18, 2004 5:08 pm

TK/Gone had a brave shot at #3, but was wrong. "Recurrent shrubbery?" is not "Balance of Thyme". That would be far too loose a fit. Why would I say "recurrent"? Where do I fit "balance" in? And I'm not sure I'd choose "shrubbery" for "thyme". No, it's a tighter fit than that....once you know it, you see the fit.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Tue May 18, 2004 5:18 pm

And #5:

Deleted.
#5 was given away, and was a bit too obvious anyway, so I've deleted it.

~ Han
Last edited by Hannibal on Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue May 18, 2004 5:38 pm

This one came up before. Check http://www.kaomaris.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=615 to see the first post about Mullog's return.
(New people or people who have short memories: Don't click if you want to work it out...)

As for the other two, I'll have a little think...

korexus.

PS, "Korky" wouldn't be a reference to Korky the Kat would it?!
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:29 am

Congrats to Brykovian, the only one to solve all four puzzles. (Apparently he still looks in nostalgically occasionally.) I can think of a couple of Brits who'll just look in awe at Bryk...... :D

~ Han

PS One day, I'll remember to post the answers to #3 and #4,,,,to great cries of "Don't bother!", I'm sure!