Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

I need some advice

Post by Donut » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:34 am

Hey all,

Let me start out by saying that this isn't important, as the subject may suggest :P

Heres the scenario...
  • So I'm making a map. I draw out the outline; divide all of the provinces; place numbers in the provinces; add terrain (all those dots in the deserts are friggin annoying to do). Ok, the map is done. I open Matt's WOKMapAssistant (very nice BTW) and start doing province neighbors and populations. 1, 2, 3, ... 35, 36, 37, 37?... WHAT?... WHERE'S 37 (Here is where some screaming of some choice words is performed). :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:
I completely skipped numbering a province 37. If anyone knows the easiest way to fix this I would really appreciate it; or, would it be just as easy to start a new one?

ARGH.... I was going to be productive tonight!!!

Also, I was wondering how people came up with province names, especially 70 of them.

Donut
GM Josh
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:55 am

I have to preface this by saying I have never used Matt's Mapping Assistant, but on the other hand, I have created lots of maps as you are no doubt aware and also done the INIs to them. Right off the top of my head, I would say the easiest solution would be to divide one of your other provinces into two smaller ones, making one of them 37. I think that should do the trick....but like I said I don't know anything about Matt's program, so that's a user beware advisory.

I know that I have made that mistake before, and it wasn't too hard to fix- I just did what I suggested above, and everything fell into place. And in re to all the naming, yes, that much is a royal pain. A lot of my maps have names from a series of books- I've used Jordan and Eddings more than once each. I've also done names based off of famous WOKites, and names based on actual places when the maps were OF those places. :-) And some I just plain made up. All a matter of what you like to do; naming can be a lot of fun but usually is quite boring. As boring as all those desert dots, yeah. 8)
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:39 am

Just use the names of your last 70 girlfriends for the Provinces. Yes, its that easy. :roll: :wink:

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:01 am

For future maps, Donut, you may want to check out the whole Map Assistant package --- it has all the terrain there for you to copy and paste! Same with the province numbers, etc. :D I wouldn't build a map without Bryk's MA. (I wouldn't know how!)
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:23 am

For future maps, Donut, you may want to check out the whole Map Assistant package --- it has all the terrain there for you to copy and paste! Same with the province numbers, etc. I wouldn't build a map without Bryk's MA. (I wouldn't know how!)
Yea, I just opened a map that I had downloaded on my computer, selected each number, and then pasted it into each province. I just missed a number (d'oh). I did the same with the terrain.

I would say the easiest solution would be to divide one of your other provinces into two smaller ones, making one of them 37.
I can't believe I didn't think of that. I think I was blinded by the possiblity of have to renumber all of the provinces. Thanks Nick

Donut
GM Josh
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:33 pm

Egbert wrote:For future maps, Donut, you may want to check out the whole Map Assistant package --- it has all the terrain there for you to copy and paste! Same with the province numbers, etc. :D I wouldn't build a map without Bryk's MA. (I wouldn't know how!)
Whippersnappers! Back in my mapmaking days we didn't have no fancy shmancy map assistint thingy! Why, we had to do them all by hand, and then the INIs too! It really made you appreciate the labor of love that mapmaking is. 8)

Seriously though just kidding; I have looked at Matt's MA package and am going to use it in the future. I haven't created a new map in a long while, since I stopped GMing, but anything that cuts down on the time it takes to create a map can only be good in my book. I imagine the program will help mapmaking the same way the auto-order scanner improved GMing- it's the improvements that folks like Al and Matt make that really help keep Kaomaris growing!

And Josh, glad I could help. Remember, if you have any questions/concerns etc about GMing your first game, the GMC is always there to help.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."