Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Non-WOK related stuff: Oak Island

Post by Egbert » Thu May 22, 2003 1:30 pm

http://www.activemind.com/Mysterious/Topics/OakIsland/

For those of you who are intrigued by treasure hunting, puzzles, mysteries, etc., the above link tells an amazing real-life story. I am into these types of things, and I am surprised that I had never heard of Oak Island before.

Just thought it may be interesting to some of you --- maybe 1 of you can come up with a solution. :eureka:
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu May 22, 2003 4:43 pm

:shock: Interesting stuff. I espeacially like the idea that a bunch of 300 year old priates have managed to outsmart a whole load of modern people with all their technology...

OK, so who's going to fund the WOK oak Island treasure endevour? :wink:

korexus
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Fri May 23, 2003 1:59 am

I have heard this story before but had never seen all the info at the same time. I thinbk I saw a show about it but I'm not sure when. It was probably on "Unsolved Mysteries" or something. It is an interesting story and sooner or later someone will probably figure out how to get to whatever is buried but it will more than likely cost them more than they get out of it.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri May 23, 2003 7:36 am

Icecream stand in Nova Scotia in the 16th century. A pirate approaches the salesman.

I'll take one of them icecreams please.

What flavour would you like sir?

Oh,eeeh strawberry.

That'll be 3 copper coins please.

Ok, aaah darn! I left my wallet on the piratship. Oh well I guess I can't....wait a minute. Hold that icecream for me please. I have some money laying around in a hole over here. I'll be back in a sec.

Goat Herder
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Goat Herder » Mon May 26, 2003 1:47 am

Really interesting reading.

Here's my take on it. It's a great whopping big cave and they had to build a shaft for an airhole and to lower gear (and treasure) into it. Given that the shaft is so deep, they had to do it in layers (therefore all the wooden landings).

Some rules of caves: build airholes upward, not sideways, especially near water. What's to say the flood tunnel wasn't accidental, and once some idiot flooded the cave, they could never unflood it. Also, being a cave, it quite likely it's got another entrance somewhere, although it wouldn't be much use to anyone anymore since the cavern itself is flooded.

One interesting twist is the existence of stagant water (which means that one part of the cavern must be separated from the sea water). Another is the bad air - may not have been caused by machinery, bad air is common in caves, therefore another pocket that the sea water hasn't got into. Another is the strong currents when they tried to dive in the cave, therefore must be at least 2 water openings (an inlet and an outlet) or else turbulence caused by wave action (perhaps an old blowhole?).

That's enough brainwork for me today. I'll ask my sister speliologist if she's got any ideas.
Live long and prosper ---- but don't let the Taxation Department know.