The Price of Pettiness

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

Ecrivian
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Ecrivian » Sun May 04, 2003 7:23 pm

I have a map to put on Map Central, it was denied as it's not been properly tested yet and I would like to be the one to test it, however there are a few problems that have arisen, the first being, I want to be the GM that runs the game, I'm not currently a GM, but Goat Herder has welcomed me to come back once I've got time. The other problem is I haven't shared the files with anyone, that's my fault, I've got a group set up on my website, however no one has expressed interest in it, I've hinted at it several times on the boards no one has explored it.

Ec

Oh well, we'll see after Finals week is done.
War determines not who is right, but who is left. We shall see in the days ahead whom of you appear atop the pile of corpses.

Raven
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Raven » Sun May 04, 2003 8:05 pm

Normally I get involved in these sort of posts but see if we can end this topic before it tuns and gets too heated.

There seems to be the view Al goes about doing what he likes, when he likes. Yet off the top of my head I cant remeber Al over ruling the WSC or making dramatic changes apart from upgrading the WOK5 engine. I also remember Al sent out a email last week asking for maps to be resent as he had a problem with his computer. I suggest you send them again as I expect them to be uploaded.

I think I said at the time but it was they way you went about saying there should be changes to how the council was made that casued all the problems. I think people can take honnest opinion but if it seems like an attack on a person then of course they will not listen. Still after awhile and people red around what you said the actual useful points were listened to and so the WSC will be changing. I will have to check but I think Al may not be able to veto rules made by the WSC from now on.

Its very easy to say whats wrong with things, its much harder to know how to fix the problem. Also I may be wrong but I think you still want to be part of WOK. If so then what is you want to see? Perhaps if this thread was to be used for what changes or ideas people had for WOK it would serve a better use.

I will have to think about it before I come up with somthing to add to WOK. However I think Raw is heading in the right direction as some hot chicks and cold beer would be a start 8)
I bet the main reason the police keep people away from a plane crash is they don't want anybody walking in and lying down in the crash stuff, then, when somebody comes up, act like they just woke up and go, "What was THAT?!"

Polymorphic
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Polymorphic » Sun May 04, 2003 8:06 pm

ooooh.....

:flamer:

[runs and hides very much]

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Re: The Price of Pettiness

Post by gm_al » Sun May 04, 2003 8:54 pm

Baron Roland wrote:I have submitted my maps to Al three times for inclusion in Map Central. It is true that Al claims he has had problems with his computer and a busy schedule, but I increasingly have the suspicion that if they were anyone else's maps, they would be in Map Central by now. This is just an example of what is rotten at the core of WOK.
ROTTEN ? What kind of language is this ? You disappoint me BR.
Just fyi, there are THREE other Maps that need to be put into Map Central. I had a VERY busy week, hardly time to do anything computer related. After my last crash I still needed to do some work and RL also dont stop just when I want it. Maps are not really a top priority.
Baron Roland wrote:WOK is dying, we all know it, we've talked about it, we've talked all around it. It has lost almost all of it's energy from two years ago, people come and go, more people go, less people come. Those who come back just kind of mill around for old times sake, or burn bright for a few months and then disappear again. There is almost nothing going on in WOK these days, unless it there is a flamer or a hate the USA thread. The only value of WOK currently is the idle chatter that goes on the boards.
You talk for yourself. Dying ? Dont think so. Slowing down - yes. You know, its all about games in the end, games to make you think and use some of your spare time.
Baron Roland wrote:There is a lot of pettiness in the WOK community and it starts with that self-centered, narrow-minded person at the top.
What is this ? A personal vendetta ? Another 'BR-has-a-bad-day' burstout ? Im not so stupid to return that favor though.
Baron Roland wrote:When I first returned to WOK, I was very enthusiastic and having a great time, I created maps and started GMing with so much enthusiasm that I broke a rule or two along the way. Everyone loved my maps (so they said, while they were scratching their head trying to figure them out), Al was positvely beaming, and eagerly announced that as soon as some of the maps in play were tested and submitted, Map Central would reach the milestone of 50 maps! All was sunny.

And then came my short stormy stay in the WSC. I had the nerve to point out that no matter what the WSC says, it is Al's game design and he is going to do whatever he wants. The WSC is just a mouthpiece and a convenience for Al, an illusion for the masses. That has been made clear by his acts over and again, but someone pointing out the painfully obvious facts enraged the WOK god of pettiness. I also had the nerve to point out that Al is the only one who appoints the GMs, and then when the GMs disappear, it is up to the rest of us to pick up the mess.
*LOL* You dont mean that BS for real, do you ? Guess what, it says 'CREATOR' near my avatar - for a reason. And if you think that I have any real power in the community beyond being the slave coder then Id like to know about it:
- 'WSC just a mouthpiece, an illusion for the masses' - stop being ridiculous, it was ME who created the WSC to give more people a right to vote and decide on things. Goat herder does a wonderful job in running it, and I jave just ONE VOTE like every other member.
- 'point out the GMs' - you know, they come to see me, as I run the database and give them access rights, as well as telling them a few things about the 'job' as GM. I introduce them to WOK, I dont do anything else. Its THEIR duty to run the games, and up to the Players to judge on their work. I have offered several times to have someone else do the Database work and help those wannabe-GMs (just like Casablanca does it for new Players). Step forward if you want, but stop yelling like a child. We had enough of this during your short WSC appearance.
Baron Roland wrote:The bottom line is that Al thinks whatever he thinks is right and proper is good for the WOK game design and the WOK community, Al confuses his own pettiness with the good of the WOK community he founded, and his opinions, on WOK and the world in general are infallible. I have already previously demonstrated in the disinformation thread the juvenile oversimplification of Al's view of the world, and the only response from Al was that he didn't know what I was talking about.
The only word I like in there is 'juvenile'.
I suggest you go and create your own wargames, run the server etc. and then wait for me to come by and describe you with words like 'rotten' or 'narrow-minded'. I think this is your way to thank me for what I created here.
Baron Roland wrote:Three map submissions later, my maps, over which Al was beaming earlier are still not in Map Central. Count Henri has disappeared, and Saladin too. Both of them also had maps that would have eventually gone to Map Central. So, right now, as far as I can figure, my maps are the only ones ready to go to Map Central and Al is in no big hurry. The true test will come the next time someone else besides myself submits a map, Al will have to either include my maps in Map Central or show his true little self to the WOK community.
CH dissappeared - true. I mailed him a few weeks, asking about what had happened but never got an answer. I still dont see the connection to me there, but I guess you do BR.
Baron Roland wrote:In the meantime, I really don't care much about WOK any longer. I don't feel like playing WOK, with all of the BS that has gone on both on the boards and behind the scenes, it is no longer a fun hobby, or fun, or a hobby. I intended to be GMing my fifth or sixth game by now, and I had lots of other ideas, but I don't think anyone cares whether I GM or even whether there are currently any WOK games. I am fed up with the pettiness that starts with the shining example at the top and runs through the WOK community.
I hope you enjoyed your stay. Although I doubt you will a gaming community that you will stay in for longer then a year.
Baron Roland wrote:Of course this is going to turn into a flamer and run wild for a couple of weeks. That is not my intent, I am merely speaking my mind about WOK, but that is what will happen, because no one can stand an honestly expressed opinion that is contrary to theirs, least of all Al.

Don't confuse the pettiness of the flamer with a burst of any kind of general enthusiasm for WOK. A person who is terminally ill may take a drug that makes them feel better for awhile, even a little energetic, but they are still dying nonetheless. The pettiness of WOK flamers turns the energy of the WOK community into a destructive force rather than a constructive force. Everyone is left feeling alienated, and nothing is accomplished. It will burn like a forest fire, and in the end, all that will be left is smoke and ashes and charred bodies, a destroyed community.
We survived other breakouts *cough*Nick*cough* and believe me, we will still be around when you will be gone.
Why start aruguing with you ? With all your hateful language you just have lost your title as 'Baron' in my eyes, and so from now on I will only call you Roland. Thats all. I am 34 years old and tired to play your kinky little child accuse games. Go argue with yourself.
Baron Roland wrote:Or maybe Al, who is the Moderator of this forum, will simply delete my post. Wouldn't that be rich! Especially since he didn't lock the "Disinformation" thread when requested, because it was a hate the US thread that he started.
Its up to a moderator to decide when a post has to be locked or deleted. Continue your personal accusations and it will be locked/deleted.
The 'Disinformation' thread was NEVER a US-hate thread. I think I tried to explain this several times to you, but you always reacted like you didnt want to understand. No one was attacked on a personal level, it was (as the title stated) a thread on (dis)information used by governments during wartime.

Did I ever mention that I sometimes wonder why I keep doing all this ? :roll:

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Sun May 04, 2003 9:40 pm

Ok, Ive now added all 4 new Maps to Map Central, along with an INI update for WOK4 Map#14.

It took me a bit longer then expected, as some of the files were not named or zipped correctly (I had asked to name and zip them according to the other files on Map Central to ease my job), but then hey, I wont even tell whose files I mean.... :roll:

We now have the count at 52 Maps, quite a nice collection. Thanx to Roland, Allister and Undertaker for the latest addtions!

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Mon May 05, 2003 2:47 am

Seriously BR, get a grip. Al is not a dictator. (Although I may use your post title as a X-Game title sometime, very catchy!) He did create the WSC, he has one vote like everybody else, and he abides by all decisions even if he doesn't agree with them. You have to keep in mind Al is the CREATOR- what that means is that all changes that happen to the game engine which HE created and designed are HIS call. He accepts input from the community and then changes things as necessary in the manager. HOWEVER, regarding the day-to-day running of the WOK community, Al is just another voice, and he, like most of us, lets the real leader (waves at GH) organize things nicely. The CCG- now that's another issue, but not really relevent to this discussion. :grinking:

Is WOK as active as it has always been? No, we are in a slow patch right now. We've had them before, believe it or not. We still do have plenty of active players, as anybody who wants to look at the games page in the Kaobase (I might point out, another Al creation) could tell there's plenty of interest. We've even had several clan wars recentely, which were fun for all, and a good sign of health for the community. I think we'd all like to see more new blood, but we are fine with the status quo too really.

In re to Map Central- Al has announced, at least 2-3 times, that he has had computer problems recentely and files and such bound for Map Central have been lost. I myself have submitted my Tenaria map twice already, but it hasn't gone up yet. I'd submit it again, but the INI for Tenaria changes as the game progresses and I neglected to save an unadultered copy (after all I figured Al would have it). I can change it back of course- but the process will take some time, so I figure I'll do it at the same time I am finishing up my latest map and send them both in at once. Now, you could argue that Al is biased against me with regards to Map Central as well, but as I created about a quarter of all WOK maps stored there, I kinda doubt it.

Finally, Ec. As any map designer knows, creating a map by itself can be both fun and time-consuming. Shaking all the bugs out of your INI using the manager, however, is NEVER fun and can be a real pain in the arse. I highly doubt you are going to find anybody who wants to do it for you. Being a mapmaker without being a GM is difficult, unless you know a very patient GM who wants to fix the INI up for you. Also, if you have a game opening, post it in Kaobase! That's the way I find out about new openings- hinting about it on the boards and such is very nice but if you are going to make it official, use Kaobase. Of course, that's only AFTER you make sure your map runs properly- that's not the sort of thing you want to be messing with after your waitlist is full!
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Post by Undertaker » Mon May 05, 2003 11:34 am

Ecrivian, if you're making a map, do yourself a favor and download Matts Map Assistant. The program is almost idiot proof. It writes the file for you.

BR, dude chill. Yours were not the only maps not to be posted right away.
Really, nobody's been opening games lately :( , so it's not like somebody's missing the chance to use your map anyway.

BTW, were are Rolands posts?
"That's a good question. Let me see...In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked." Hunter S. Thompson

Duke

Post by Duke » Mon May 05, 2003 12:40 pm

*Looks at Baron Roland and laughs in the way you laugh at a 4 year old who is trying to argue for something in an adult fashion*

:lol:

Lord Fredo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lord Fredo » Mon May 05, 2003 6:58 pm

Duke wrote:*Looks at Baron Roland and laughs in the way you laugh at a 4 year old who is trying to argue for something in an adult fashion*

:lol:
... Oh no, don't tell me it's happened to you too ... :clown:

Ecrivian
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Ecrivian » Tue May 06, 2003 5:47 am

Undertaker wrote:Ecrivian, if you're making a map, do yourself a favor and download Matts Map Assistant. The program is almost idiot proof. It writes the file for you.

BR, dude chill. Yours were not the only maps not to be posted right away.
Really, nobody's been opening games lately :( , so it's not like somebody's missing the chance to use your map anyway.

BTW, were are Rolands posts?
Taker,
Come on man, I may play stupid for Dameon to pick on me everyonce in a while but I'm certainly not dumb enough to let that wonderful device slip thru my fingers, I most certainly did use it to generate my INI and stuff.

:wink:

Ec
War determines not who is right, but who is left. We shall see in the days ahead whom of you appear atop the pile of corpses.