Recruit
Recruit

Post by Warped Angel » Thu May 01, 2003 7:00 am

what the freak are you talking about?
When injustice is law, resistance is duty

ThinKing

Re: Spirit of Law

Post by ThinKing » Thu May 01, 2003 9:05 am

Baron Roland wrote:Rechtgeist or Gesetzgeist?

Which one of these most properly translates as "spirit of the law" or "law spirit"?

Being clever isnt about knowing everything. Its about knowing who to ask.

A German friend tells me that Gesetzgeist means "letter of the law", whereas the overall "spirit" is Rechtgeist.

TK

korexus

Re: Spirit of Law

Post by korexus » Thu May 01, 2003 9:13 am

Thin_King wrote: Being clever isnt about knowing everything. Its about knowing who to ask.

A German friend tells me that Gesetzgeist means "letter of the law", whereas the overall "spirit" is Rechtgeist.

TK

*Thinks back to last night*

Oh yes, now I remember. There weren't any coherent sentences, but you did ask...

(For everyone else, TK asked my German room mate last night, after several bottles of beer. He asked some much more interesting questions too, but we won't go into that. *Waves tape measure at TK*)

And he didn't even share his absinthe!! :x
Last edited by korexus on Thu May 01, 2003 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Duke

Post by Duke » Thu May 01, 2003 11:10 am

Send Al a mail. He is some sort of language genious.

Or try Silver Surfer from my clan who is german.

Who cares about German anyway. I could tell you the Swedish word for it :D

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri May 02, 2003 6:39 am

And while I am at it, is the language spoken in Norway and Finland the same or similar to Swedish?
Norwegian is in its speaken form like a Swedish dialect or vice versa. They spell differently however and they have some words that we dont use in Sweden. (I was born Norwegian) The same goes for Danish but a lot of Swedes has trouble understanding Danish. Danes tend to understand Swedish quite easily. I dont know why it is like that.

Finnish is an entirely different story. They originate from a different branch of the language tree and have more in common with Hungarian or Russian than they have with Swedish.

Swedish and English is actually closer than Swedish and Finnish.
So, Duke, what is the Swedish word?
I dont really know the "real" names of these things but I guess it could be "Lagens natur" . It translate to "The nature of the law". A direct translation would be "Lagens (The law, the "s" represents the word "the") själ (soul or spirit)" but that doesnt look right at all. A better translation would be "Lagens anda" The word "anda" fits the word "spirit" quite well but those words combined look wierd to me.

After thinking about it I would go with "Lagens andemening".

Ask Fredo, he is some sort of teacher.

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri May 02, 2003 8:56 am

While we are at it. I have a pair of FC Barcelona underware with the text "Al més culé" on them. I have always wondered what that means. And to the moderator I would like to add that if it means something obscene then I wasnt aware of it.

Polymorphic
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Polymorphic » Fri May 02, 2003 10:23 am

Duke wrote:The same goes for Danish but a lot of Swedes has trouble understanding Danish. Danes tend to understand Swedish quite easily. I dont know why it is like that.
It's like the difference between English and American, they tend to understand us perfectly, but we could often do with a translation service. :lol:
Duke wrote:..."Lagens (The law, the "s" represents the word "the")...
Doesn't the '..en' bit represent 'the' , while the 's' represents possesion - just like in English (or American :wink:)

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Post by Undertaker » Fri May 02, 2003 11:28 am

Duke wrote: I have a pair of FC Barcelona underware with the text "Al més culé" .
I think in Spanish it says, "For small penises"
"That's a good question. Let me see...In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked." Hunter S. Thompson

Lord Fredo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lord Fredo » Fri May 02, 2003 5:58 pm

Thanks for the confidence Duke but I think you covered it pretty well in your post. :D
However, since the linguists have allready shown themselves I might as well clearify a few things. Finish is related to Hungarian but not to Russian. Russian is a slavic language and Finish and Hungarian are from the finno-hungarian language group.
Also, yes the swedish -en or -et suffixes are the equivalents of the english the prefix where as the -s ending shows possession much like in english only without any ' apostrophies.

Duke

Post by Duke » Mon May 05, 2003 12:51 pm

I dozed off in the middle of all those language rules. So, I was wrong about the s representing "the". Who cares? :wink:

Undertaker is a real jokester I see. Well for all of you who are eagerly wondering what the spanish on my underware says I can inform you that an unknown person yet to be identified has explained it to me. I am suppousedly some sort of FC Barcelona fan. Well, well. At least they dont lose to Mallorca with 5-1 8)