OT A Thousand Worlds

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Sun Apr 27, 2003 7:07 am

you forgot All in the Family(enjoyed), Green Acres(didn't carte to much for), I did enjoyed Black Sheep Squadron, what were some of the others from my younger days? my sister and I always fought over whether we watched Happy Days or BSS. Dad used to flip a coin to see which one we saw each Tuesday Night I believe it was.

I did enjoy the westerns you mention, and Bjorn, is it true that my middle name came from Bonanza? As I have heard it the parents came home that fateful Sunday and asked my older siblings what they should name me and they came up with Hoss Joseph. Hoss went but the Joseph stayed. Any truth to that rumor?

The wonderful world of Disney was pretty good when I was young also. Got to sit and drink the only soda we got all week and Popcorn also.

BTW I did get to enjoy Quantum Leap if only to see what kind of trouble he got into the next week.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Post by Undertaker » Sun Apr 27, 2003 2:07 pm

You can't forget about X-Files, that was the show.

I also thought Milennium was good but I didn't last long, same for Dark Angel.

Some other favorites:

That 70's show, WWE wrestling, Married with Childeren, Drew Carey

Cartoons:Gargoyles, Robotech, Ren & Stimpy

BTW, I can't stand drama's like CSI, Law & Order, ER, etc...
"That's a good question. Let me see...In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked." Hunter S. Thompson

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:14 am

Here are some of my all time favorites:

#1: MASH
#2: Hillstreet Blues
#3: JAG
#4: the Benny Hill Show
#5: Star Trek, TNG
#6: "F" Troop
#7: Hogan's Heros
#8: Andy Griffith (b/w)
#9: Battlestar Gallactica
#10: the Rifleman

I also liked Cheers, and the unbelievably successful spin-off Frasier. Primarily the main thing I watch anymore is Hockey. I try not to spend too much time in front of the idiot box.

Calidus

Duke

Post by Duke » Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:32 am

:shock:

I cant belive how old you are :wink:

Btw, hockey. US vs Denmark 2-5? Ouch!

Ecrivian
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Ecrivian » Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:26 am

Duke - They may be old but I enjoy some of the same shows and I'm only 18. Calidus - MASH for sure! after that, Cheers yes, that was cool, I so wanted to be "Sam" when I was growing up but knew I'd end up more like "Woody" or "Norm." Every once in a while I'll watch Law and Order with my mom, she loves that show. I love the Dead Zone however I've been having my sister tape it as I can't really watch it regularly at school, so don't tell me what's going on please! Taker, shout outs for Drew Carey, That 70's Show, and Married With Children. Green Acres was awesome when I was growing up as a kid, yes people, re runs, I'm not as old as these farts. Loved Quantum Leap and Knight Rider.

How can anyone go wrong with SNL, the older stuff was soooo funny, now needs a little work but eh, what can you expect? Nick Arcade was a great show when I was real little, also Make Me Laugh on Comedy Central, they've produced some really good shows like South Park. Acme Hour on Cartoon Network, self-explanitory. (Cartoons are always awesome!) MacGyver was a favorite show of mine, even though now it seems really cheesy, I still like it. I also liked Mork from Ork or whatever that was called and Perfect Strangers. Oh yeah, gotta get a holler in for Saved By the Bell The Jr High and Sr. High, not the New Class, that just blows! Oh yeah, I love Lucy, haha, Ricky.... eh, I guess I've got a really large mix of all sorts of shows, not too many sci-fi, but a lot of Comedy/Sitcom, hey, I need to laugh at life its way too serious. Hate the Reality shows big time, especially because they're scripted, I don't think that MTV has ever come out with any good programs, now I'll let the younger generation of WOkkers rip me apart for that one.

EC
War determines not who is right, but who is left. We shall see in the days ahead whom of you appear atop the pile of corpses.

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:36 am

Baron Roland wrote: I HATED All in the Family, and most of the other sitcoms, I am just not a sitcom viewer. I don't know when Green Acres was produced, but I think it was before my time; I remember the show being on though, thought it was kind of silly.
:shock:
Ahem........Hit it boys! :P

(Oliver):
[glow=green]GREEN ACRES[/glow] is the place to be,
Farm livin' is the life for me.....
Land spreadin' out so far and wide,
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside......

(Lisa):
New York is where I'd rather stay..........
I get allergic smelling hay!
I just adore a penthouse view,
Darling I love you, but give me Park Avenue!

(Oliver):
(duhduhduhduhduh) The Chores!

(Lisa):
(duhduhduhduhduh) The Stores!

(Oliver):
(duhduhduhduhduh) Fresh Air!

(Lisa):
(duhduhduhduhduh) Times Square!

(Oliver):
You are my wife...........

(Lisa):
Goodbye city life.........

(Both):
Green Acres, we are there !!!!!!!!!!!!
(duhduhduhduhduh duhduh!)

:popcorn:

The preceding message was brought to you by a man who lived in front of a TV set during the 1970s, and lives for 70s sitcoms.

My top 10 shows (from the 70s):

1. The Odd Couple
2. Get Smart (I asked you not to tell me that!)
3. M*A*S*H*
4. I Dream of Jeanie
4. The Mary Tyler Moore Show
5. F-Troop
6. Hogan's Heroes
7. The Bob Newhart Show
8. Green Acres
9. Mission: Impossible
10. Battlestar Galactica
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

Duke

Post by Duke » Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:50 pm

I felt the urge to post my list here as well. Of course we are talking swedish television here but as you might see most of the shows are american (with sub-titles :D )

1. Seinfeld (how could you even compete with this?)
2. Fawlty Towers (Cleese is the champ!)
3. Frasier
4. X-files (before it got too complicated)
5. Third Watch (Bosco rules!!)
6. CSI (The original, not miami)
7. Letterman
8. Married with children
9. Black Adder (British)
10. Jackass (gotta hand it to them)

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bjorn » Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:11 pm

I was never one to watch a lot of television. I was either playing a game (checkers or chess would do) or reading a good book. Mostly non-fiction.

However, there were a couple of TV shows I remember well. They had one of three things going for them.
1) Excellent casting
2) Excellent writing
3) They were just plain entertaining.

Some of these shows are from the 60's, so I will add some detail to them. Here we go.

1- Jeopardy! #1 by far. If I go to heaven when I die, this is what I expect to find on TV there.

2- Have gun, Will Travel. Richard Boone as Paladin, the original "Man in Black". A Hired gun in the old West. Rather violent for the early 60's in TV land.

3- Combat! Vic Morrow as Sgt. Saunders leads his small squad through France in WW2.

4- Rocky and Bullwinkle. Boris. Natasha. Fearless Leader. Wassamatta U? Some of the most clever writing for a cartoon I can ever remember.

5- Dr. Who. The Tom Baker version. I know there were several Dr. Who's, but he defined the roll. For a Time Lord who can travel anywhere in time and space I think he spent far too much time in modern England, but production costs certainly had something to do with that.

6- Family Fued. Richard Dawson made that show. In general I don't go for those game shows where people are given a chance to make a fool of themselves, but RD always handled it so well.

7- Get Smart. Don Adams as agent 86 and some of the most clever writing and sight gags I can ever recall. The Man from U.N.C.L.E. was a close alternate here (With David McCallum as another 'Man in Black'). I used to watch The Avengers too, but only to see Diana Rigg in those tight leather outfits. :roll:

8- Mission Impossible. Some stories were better than others, but it was still fun to try and figure out exactly what they were up to. It was always a test to see if what looked like a screw up was really part of their plan. Columbo was also an interesting concept, but I didn't like the way Peter Falk played the part.

9- The Invaders. Good old suspense. Sci-Fi channel revived the concept recently with the series First Wave, but I never got into it. I tried, but I didn't like the casting I guess.

10- Farscape. I do not know why I grew attached to this show. The writing and the casting were very good for the first two years, but the plot line and characters that showed up in the 4th season kind of lost me.
It and LEXX were the two recent Sci-Fi versions of living ships in space. There was a BBC version several years ago where a group of political prisioners somehow end up on an incredibly powerful space ship that could repair itself. I can't remember the name.

And Pat, your 5 older siblings were indeed watching Bonanza when dad called from the hospital and asked if we had any ideas for a name for you. We wanted Ben Joseph, (for the rolls played by Lorne Greene and Michael Landon) but dad was not going to agree to 'Ben'. Hoss was out, but someone suggested Patrick. I have no idea where it came from. Ask one of your older sisters.
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:09 am

DANGNABBIT! I had forgotten all about GET SMART. That is one awesome show.

I also watched an episode of the old BATMAN shows and thought I would die from lack of oxygen I was laughing so hard at all of the things that I never really caught when I was young.

I didn't mention any gameshows, but I agree that Jeopardy is #1, followed closely by Family Fued with Richard Dawson. Wheel of Fortune bores me to death.

And Duke, I'm not THAT old!

Calidus

Skankerad
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Skankerad » Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:15 pm

Dont worry Calidus. He is going into his mid-life crisis and tells anyone that is slightly older than him that he is old. I am 9 years younger that him so he shouldnt be talking.

I also must apologize for his demensia (not sure of the spelling) he has not listed Friends which I know is one of his favorites.