Dis-information (the thread you all expected to come up)

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:19 pm

korexus wrote:
Egbert wrote:
Our leaders are elected officials. If one of them, or a few of them, decided to "go Hitler," they would be removed from power. Such is the beauty of democracy.
Eg, I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong (and I could well be) but isn't "America shall not be governed by a democracy" part of the constitution? Seriously here, I was told that was the main reasoning behind the slightly bizarre election procedure which let the guy with less votes win...
Obviously Korexus needs a lesson on our country also. Bush DID have more votes (electoral college votes). he also had MANY more states than Gore, Gore had California, and New York. Gore didn't even win Arkansas (which is clinton's home sate) it always baffles me when i see such ignorace as this. And to say we don't have a democracy.... :shock: :shock: wow...

SF
PS. i am glad Gore didn't win, he woudl have lobbed 3 cruise missiles at a tent and said America is safe now.... :roll:
God of WOK

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:21 am

For all of you people out there arguing about democracy, The United Staets is NOT a democracy.

That being said the United States is a Democratic REPUBLIC.
A pure democracy would require every person to vote on every matter.
A republic allows the people to elect people to represent their views and vote accordingly in the Congress.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:17 am

I am so glad I posted that thing about the bully :wink: A good flamer is always nice.

I dont think I have as strong feelings in this as some of you others. I have noticed that mostly british and irish are the hardest Anti-Americans here.

My post about the bully does to me have some thruth in it. Consider this for a moment. Who defines the bully? The bully himself or the ones that feel they are getting bullied?

I wasnt all that serious about it however (I rarely are :roll: ) so please dont send my name to the NSA just yet.

And Underdog. If you were interviewed by a reporter from Al Jaizeera (sp?) the editor would have cut you off after the first line :wink:

Seriously people. Are we arguing if the US are a democracy? If it wasnt then what would it be? (besides that whole thing Underdog explained that we"normal" people call democracy :wink: )

Well, I think I should leave this thread now before I make the situation worse (again).

Have fun hating/loving the US in this ongoing flamer. I will go back to cursing about the weather and the Swedish taxes.

Before I do I will just have to throw on another log onto the fire :twisted: Why did the US Army soldiers just watch as armed criminals stole the two remaining working ambulances from one of the hospitals in Bagdad? Have fun with that.

Over and out.

Polymorphic
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Polymorphic » Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:56 am

SmashFace wrote:i am glad Gore didn't win, he woudl have lobbed 3 cruise missiles at a tent and said America is safe now.... :roll:
But America wasn't really threatened anyway, was it?

...I've seen the whole episode more as America attacking because Bush thought that Iraq could possibly hold some sort of a threat at some time in the future.

...kind of like Japan did at Pearl Harbour...

Anybody found any weapons of Mass Destruction yet? Or are the 'Coalition' troops now going to apologise and go home?

Ecrivian
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Ecrivian » Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:33 pm

I think its high time that this thread be locked.

PLEASE MODERATOR LOCK THIS THREAD!

Ec
War determines not who is right, but who is left. We shall see in the days ahead whom of you appear atop the pile of corpses.

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:19 pm

Polymorphic wrote:
Anybody found any weapons of Mass Destruction yet? Or are the 'Coalition' troops now going to apologise and go home?
as a matter of fact they found plutonium, most likely weapons grade plutonium. they also found 55 Gal barrels of substances that tested positive for sarin gas, and lewisite. so yes polymorphic.. i'm glad you brought it up :-D
God of WOK

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:10 pm

Further checks on the "sarin" proved negative. Didn't hear about the plutonium yet so can't comment. I wouldn't be surpiresed if it went the way of those scuds *cough* that Iraq launched *coughcough* on the first day of the war though...

Didn't someone call for this post to get locked :?:

k.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:39 pm

Baron Roland wrote: As long as we keep bashing the U.S. at least once every other post, this thread could go on for years.
Well, at least this way, we don't have to start a new thread every time! :lol:

^Counts, ooh it's my turn! Yippee!

U.S. :sniper:
Bush. :whip:
Anyone else who did anything recently :smash:

Right, that should do us for another couple of pages, flame on!

k.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:59 am

Oh boy, a Bush-bash thread! First off, yes, Gore had more popular votes than Bush. More US citizens who voted wanted him to be president. However, by the rules of the election which were clearly set out in advance, Bush won. I respect that, he played the right strategy. I don't think he stole the election; he won fair and square. The peeps that make me mad are the ones that say the US Supreme Court has no political leanings and the fact that there are more Republicans there had no bearing on their decision. BS. If there were more Dems in the USSC (as there are in the FLSC), Gore would probably be president now- but there aren't so he isn't. That is politics, and our judges play it too.

That being said, yes, I also believe the election rules need to be changed. The Electoral College is completely outdated and pointless in the world of instant communication. It'd be hard thing to overturn, because it is in the Constitution. Yes, it was a good idea at the time, but it's time has long since expired. One day it will be abolished- but definetely not during Bush's term since it's how he won.

The whole mess with Iraq, well, I don't think that Iraq was remotely threatening anybody at this point. I do think that Saddam was an awful dictator who abused his power and the citizens of Iraq suffered horribly for it. The US should have gone in saying "We are getting rid of Saddam because he massacres thousands and tortures his political opponents" not because he may have "weapons of mass destruction". It will be interesting to see how the war plays out; one thing is certain though, Bush will want to keep attention to his foreign policy since his domestic one is just plain awful.

And as an interesting side note to the GOPers who were rejocying about a "mandate" in the last election, it is interesting to note that in net change, the GOP picked up only two seats. Both of those seats belonged to Democratic senators who died while in office (Ashcroft in MO, Wellstone in MN). It's hard to shift the political power of a structure when an incumbent dies, so the GOP did have the edge there for that reason if none other. It heartens me greatly that the Dems in Congress realize that the GOP does NOT have a mandate, and are happily fillibustering away as need be. It warms my heart everytime we stop another archconservative from becoming a judge, while the GOP whines about it when they were doing the EXACT same thing to Clinton not too long ago. Revenge is indeed a dish best served cold.

I think that all this political tension in the US is truly going to come to a head the next time a USSC vacancy needs to be filled, especially in light of the role it played in the last election. I cannot imagine the absolute hell that is going to break out when a new judge needs to be appointed....it will make everything we have seen so far seem like child's play. Ain't life in a republic grand?
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:28 pm

Wow, I feel vindicated! Thankyou, Underdog (I'll even forgive you for "fixing" the clan champs :lol: ) and thankyou, Dameon (It's not true what TK says about you!)

I'd like to point out that (for once) I wasn't really bashing anyone. I just got my tongue so far stuck into my cheek that it wouldn't come out again and the post kind of wrote itself...

I'll admit that I don't know a huge amount about the American system of government. - As I said I gave up politics. But I try to only post when I feel I have some justification (or at least say when I don't...)
Maybe I should go back to bashing the war again, it's more fun anyway!

OK, just read that post through again. I'm probably over reacting here. Sorry. :oops:

Strider
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Strider » Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:11 pm

Too true, Dameon, about the next election being nasty. The 2004 Presidential Election will mark a new low in mudslinging, I'm afraid. The election is also the reason that I think Bush will continue to be very focused on Iraq and won't sweep it under the rug like Afghanistan. If he screws that up, he's guaranteed to lose in 2004. He hasn't won many points in handling the economy and other domestic issues.
Never laugh at live dragons...