Question....

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

Should Mercs be allowed to fight in Clan Wars?

Mercs should be allowed.
50%
Mercs should be allowed to fight as a unit vs. a Clan
25%
Mercs should not be allowed.
25%

Total votes: 16

Ecrivian
Trooper
Trooper

Question....

Post by Ecrivian » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:37 am

Okay, I know Clan Wars are committed to clans and stuff, but I was thinking, maybe, maybe, could a group of Mercs get together and fight a clan? I know its wierd and off the wall but could I get some sort of ruling on this. VP's would be difficult to divvy up. I've got a solution to this...

(I apologize in advance to the Gatekeeper, Bjorn, as this would be more work)

Say that such a war was possible, Five mercs, oh for example,

Dameon
Massie
Strider
Baron Roland
Ecrivian

Vs.

Five players from TdD

in a WOK V battle, and say that Dameon, Massie, Strider and BR all survive whilst I die and TdD is wiped off the map. The VP's would go on to a special page created just for Clan War VP's and a record of such would be kept, like...

Dameon, Massie, Strider, Baron Roland, and Ecrivian defeated TdD in a Clan/Merc War where surviors were Dameon, Massie, Strider and Baron Roland. Collectively these mercenaries prooved their worth on such and such a date defeating the opponent on turn "end game turn".

What do y'all think?
War determines not who is right, but who is left. We shall see in the days ahead whom of you appear atop the pile of corpses.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:14 am

There's nothing stopping Mercs joining together and playing against another clan in a clan war. But like you said the clan war vps only count towards the clan championship and clan kaohalla, and seeing that Merc are not part of the clan champs there would not be any vps handed out.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:15 am

I think that by being Mercs you are sarcificing the ability to have a clan way, you are able to fight in a clan war as 1 or 2 stand-ins for a clan. but there has to be more differences from being a merc to being a clan member than jus tmore than 2 mercs can join a game, otherwise its just another clan that gets past the 2 members per game rule.
God of WOK

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:47 am

E. Mercenaries may partipate in clan warfare only if clan leaders specifically seek out their services. Scoring for mercenaries is unchanged; specifically, they may not earn points for the clan, but they alone in clan warfare may still earn points for their individual statistics. Mercenaries will count towards the five player maximum for any clan or alliance of clans

I took this directly from the clan rules page so it looks as if 5 mercenaries could NOT fight in a clan war as a group unless they formed a clan first.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:06 am

UD is correct, that is what i meant by the 1-2 stand-ins if a clan head wanted to, I suppose it could be 4 Mercs and a clan head.
God of WOK

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:47 am

actually I believe you would have to have at least 2 members from a clan but I'm not absolutely sure of that one and I don't have time to look it up also. I'm pretty sure there is something about that in there somewhere
Underdog is here

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:10 am

Underdog wrote:actually I believe you would have to have at least 2 members from a clan but I'm not absolutely sure of that one and I don't have time to look it up also. I'm pretty sure there is something about that in there somewhere
First of all, of course I thought of mercenaries when writing the clan rules. They can be involved in a clan war if they are invited by a clan head to do so. Pat posted the correct section from the clan rules. As for the number of required players from a clan to participate:

B. The number of warriors participating in a clan warfare shall be dictated as such: One, no less than two and no more than five members of a clan may participate in any singular clan warfare game.

So, there shouldn't be any confusion. At most, there could be three mercenaries joining two clanmates for a clan war, however, I find any such circumstance highly unlikely as it would dilute the purpose of the clan war, persay.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Strider
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Strider » Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:09 pm

Mercs being hired for clan wars would be interesting. How would you get "paid" though?

You can't have us risk our necks for nothing. :twisted:
Never laugh at live dragons...

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:22 pm

Like i said...what's stopping 5 Merc's or any 5 players from running a clan war game? There won't be any personally vps for them and they don't have a clan where their clan vps could go to, but they could still have a lot of fun and like Ecrivian said, they could have a little page to gloat over their win. :)
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:43 am

There is one more little rule in there that states that Maercenaries DO get to have clan war VP's added to their personal stats. I guess that would be their little gloat, They get to use them toward Kaohalla at least I would think they still would NOT go toward hi-score but that isn't clear.
Underdog is here

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bjorn » Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:54 am

As I read it, if a MERC is on the winning side he gets a VP for Kaohalla. I do not believe this VP counts toward Hi Score, as none of the VPs in a clan war count toward Hi Score. The WSC can over rule me, but after reading the clan rules this is how I will award VPs for a clan war.

1) No points toward Hi Score.
2) Winning clan gets 2 (WOK4) or 3 (WOK5) VPs in the clan league.
(Note that I will add a comment to the clan scores to show the results of any clan wars that occured in that scoring season.)
3) All surviving clan members and Mercs on the winning side will get 1VP for Kaohalla.
4) The winning clan will get 1VP in Clan Kaohalla for each surviving member.
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bjorn » Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:54 am

After looking over the clan page again, I think item 3 above is false. Only a Mercenary can get VPs for Kaohalla in a clan war. The victorious CLAN will get a VP in Clan Kaohalla for each surviving member of the war, but no clan member will add individual VPs for a clan war.
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes